PDA

View Full Version : Remember..Peppers Pride..time to unload AGAINST

sammy the sage
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
12/14..sunniland park..150k stakes..PLEASE

has NO shot...time to make the GREEN... :)

lamboguy
12-09-2008, 09:15 PM
is that a new mexico state bred race?

schweitz
12-09-2008, 10:35 PM
is that a new mexico state bred race?

yes

lamboguy
12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
she should be tough against new mexico breds. maybe they got something else that is going good right now that i haven't seen.

schweitz
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
she should be tough against new mexico breds. maybe they got something else that is going good right now that i haven't seen.

I haven't seen th pp's yet but I suspect she's probably already beaten the others in this race.

boomman
12-09-2008, 11:25 PM
12/14..sunniland park..150k stakes..PLEASE

has NO shot...time to make the GREEN... :)

Let me get this straight: This mare is 18-18 lifetime, 6-6 at Sunland Park with 13 stakes wins against New Mexico State Breds and has no shot???? I'm all for beating the chalk (if possible) but she isn't exactly facing a stellar field. The 125,000 New Mexico State Racing Commission Handicap for state breds has one horse in it who has won her last 3 races, but one of those was in a filly statebred 6250 maiden claimer................. Perhaps you overstated this a bit;)

Boomer

strapper
12-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Peppers Pride can certainly keep her record unscathed vs. state-breds I would think. I don't think this is the time to take a stand against her. But I would like to see her tested before its all said and done.....just to see how good she really is.

schweitz
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Peppers Pride can certainly keep her record unscathed vs. state-breds I would think. I don't think this is the time to take a stand against her. But I would like to see her tested before its all said and done.....just to see how good she really is.

This is supposed to be her last race before retirement.

onefast99
12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
This one has just as much a chance to win as any of the other "favorites" in the race. You dont go undefeated in the thoroughbred world if you dont run well. Peppers pride should win her final race. Good luck to her!

Tom Barrister
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree that the horse is a bet-against. New Mexico competition being what it is, Peppers Pride might win by default, but I also won't be surprised if the horse doesn't hit the board. At probable 1-5 or 1-9 odds, it's certainly not playable. The problem with betting at all is that the mutuel pools are so small at Zia that not much can be bet on anything without affecting the odds.

lamboguy
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
i think the horse will be running at sunland park. on weekdays last year sunland was ok on the handle department!

Nmytwenties
12-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't see her losing. I certainly hope she doesn't as I think she is great for racing, especially in a state with tracks springing up all over. I guess the more people that bet against her means more money for her backers when she makes it 19 for 19.

onefast99
12-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree that the horse is a bet-against. New Mexico competition being what it is, Peppers Pride might win by default, but I also won't be surprised if the horse doesn't hit the board. At probable 1-5 or 1-9 odds, it's certainly not playable. The problem with betting at all is that the mutuel pools are so small at Zia that not much can be bet on anything without affecting the odds.
It seems a lot of tracks are having the same problem, small pools. Unless its a major track on a weekend the pools have gotten much smaller recently.

boomman
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
The race is at Sunland Park which has much higher mutuel pools than Zia due to a much larger simulcast network..........;)

Boomer

schweitz
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Article on Peppers Pride at Bloodhorse.

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/48401.htm

Nmytwenties
12-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah New Mexico is weird with that simulcast network system. Zia Park was available last year at my simulcast outlet (River Downs) but it was not available this year. However Sunland Park is offered at RD as well as ALB but Sunray Park and Ruidoso are not even though I do recall them being available a few years back at RD. Not sure how the inside and out of those networks work, though I am pretty happy with RD's selection I was unhappy that Zia was not available this year as I did real well there in 2007 when RD had them.

Zia is funny as checking their simulcast network earlier this year I saw they were perhaps the only track outside of Oklahoma that picked up racing from Blue Ribbon Downs of all places. I know the quality of runners there is poor but both BRD and Will Rodgers,who runs in the spring, seems as if they would appeal to many bettors as their field sizes are always 9-12 horses per race range but yet their simulcast signal is unavailable most places, especially BRD.

sammy the sage
12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I lost...

won't be the last time...but I'll man up and take my lumps!

boomman
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
I lost...

sammy: Even though I disagreed with your handicapping position (on this particular play and said so on this thread earlier in the week), I certainly respect the fact that you were looking for value, felt you had it, followed your own assessment and took a shot. That is a recipe for success longterm! Also, congratulations to the connections, as 19 in a row is quite a feat!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

lamboguy
12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
it was quite a gutsy call by sammy, but not a stupid one. there was a horse in the race that was always going to be in front of her, so it was a question if she was going to close into the pace. she got a favorable base and that is your result. 4/5 was a tough price to swallow on her before the race, i wish i had it after the race though!!

thruncy
12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
This one has just as much a chance to win as any of the other "favorites" in the race. You dont go undefeated in the thoroughbred world if you dont run well. Peppers pride should win her final race. Good luck to her!Don't occur unless the horse is winning with something left. Cigar got really tested to the wire by Soul of the Matter. Although he continued to win after that race, his pace numbers never even equalled his performances previous to that race.

onefast99
12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
it was quite a gutsy call by sammy, but not a stupid one. there was a horse in the race that was always going to be in front of her, so it was a question if she was going to close into the pace. she got a favorable base and that is your result. 4/5 was a tough price to swallow on her before the race, i wish i had it after the race though!!
I couldnt agree more, you had to just watch her do something no one else has ever done, it was worth the wait she looked solid vs this group and when push came to shove 4-5 wasnt a bad number.

onefast99
12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
I lost...

I have taken a few lumps on picks but thats the nature of this game take a chance and it may payoff.

Zman179
12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Also, congratulations to the connections, as 19 in a row is quite a feat!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

Sorry, but I'm sure that the USC football team could win 19 in a row (and probably 190 in a row) if they were facing Division 3 opponents every week. Maybe this horse could have been running, and winning, in graded stakes, but we'll probably never know. They have the "record", but ask people five years from now who set the record and most people will have forgotten by then.

onefast99
12-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry, but I'm sure that the USC football team could win 19 in a row (and probably 190 in a row) if they were facing Division 3 opponents every week. Maybe this horse could have been running, and winning, in graded stakes, but we'll probably never know. They have the "record", but ask people five years from now who set the record and most people will have forgotten by then.
She faced New Mexico state breds most of the time, there is no rule against that. If USC played only California schools they would not go undefeated, maybe a loss here or there but not undefeated. She won several pretty decent Stakes races including the Foutz distaff for 75k and the New mexico stakes for 125k on her way to becoming undefeated. Again quite an accomplishment.

boomman
12-14-2008, 11:42 PM

The horse was PERFECTLY spotted, and I don't care who you're beating (as it applies to horse racing) 19 in a row is a TREMENDOUS record, and I GUARANTEE you I for one will remember her name 5 years from now, so be sure and ask me!;) As for the football analogy, teams in college football have won something like 50 in a row, (ala Oklahoma in the Bud Wilkinson era) so 19 would be no big deal. It IS a BIG DEAL in our sport!!!!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer

Jay Trotter
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Congratulations to Peppers Pride and all her connections.

She went into today's race with career earnings of $991,085 and with the win goes over the $1,000,000 mark! Now that's an accomplishment. :jump:

I would have to say in this day of greed and corruption, it is admirable that the connections would choose to keep her running in New Mexico and spot her nicely, rather than reaching for the brass ring and risk having her knocked down.

Well done Pepper! :ThmbUp:

WinterTriangle
12-15-2008, 12:05 AM
The race is at Sunland Park which has much higher mutuel pools than Zia due to a much larger simulcast network..........;)

Boomer

$1 Superfecta's today were $21K, $15K, $19K; several trifectas up over 1K.

Jeff P
12-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Not ashamed to admit I bet against her and lost too.

I'd never seen her run before. Gotta say I was really impressed with how she finished. Visually it looked like the others were tied to a post in the stretch. According to the chart it looks like she got the final 1/8th in just under 11 3/5ths seconds... that's moving.

I don't care who you're facing. In a day and age where a lot of good horses don't even get 19 career starts - 19 wins in a row is just awsome! :ThmbUp:

-jp

DanG
12-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I agree with Boom; hats off to the connections for staying realistic and to the mare for loving the game. She didn’t need / or deserve to be ground into Grade-1 sawdust. A game mare like that can blow a tire just trying to compete.

With all due respect; did anyone else tune in for the paddock host who graciously handed out a 4-horse exacta box of 1-4-6-7? (All four favs) I never saw the man before, but $5.60 for every $12 to his loyal followers was classic.

boomman
12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I agree with Boom; hats off to the connections for staying realistic and to the mare for loving the game. She didn’t need / or deserve to be ground into Grade-1 sawdust. A game mare like that can blow a tire just trying to compete.

With all due respect; did anyone else tune in for the paddock host who graciously handed out a 4-horse exacta box of 1-4-6-7? (All four favs) I never saw the man before, but $5.60 for every $12 to his loyal followers was classic.

DanG: Although I didn't see the pre-race show, I assume the handicapper in question was SUN-LAND STEVE. We've had a discussion on here about the problem with multiple horse exacta boxes, apparently he missed that discussion!;)

Boomer

DanG
12-15-2008, 10:36 AM
DanG: Although I didn't see the pre-race show, I assume the handicapper in question was SUN-LAND STEVE. We've had a discussion on here about the problem with multiple horse exacta boxes, apparently he missed that discussion!;)

Boomer
Thanks Boom;

After I posted that I’m thinking the poor guy probably posts here and I’m going to embarrass him. I thought it was really bizarre to even suggest that in an 8 horse field with a prohibitive fav. You either roll the dice and leave her out, cold punch or sit back and enjoy watching the mare do her thing.

BUD
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Samy, Thanks for being a great sport and making that race a lot more fun to watch------You are a great sport..

Tom Barrister
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks Boom;

I thought it was really bizarre to even suggest that in an 8 horse field with a prohibitive fav.

The thing is that the horse wasn't that prohibitive a favorite, relative to what she had been in the past. Peppers Pride got off at 4/5 odds and paid $3.80. Negotiablaffections was bet all the way down to a flat 2-1. At 4-5, Peppers Pride was almost playable, as opposed to the usual 1/5 or 1/9 she'd been going off at previously. She definitely surprised me with the move she made. The final time wasn't exactly spectacular, a full second off the track record, but she got the job done.

Imriledup
12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Great management keeping her running against what is no proof are even real thoroughbreds. I guess someone checks to prove she's really beating thoroughbreds, lets hope so anyway. Every horse she's ever beaten would probably struggle vs the bottom level claimers in So Cal.There is a lot of horses who would be undefeated if they were able to race horses way below their level vs restricted garbage.

There are a lot of naysayers out there concerning this horse, it would be nice if they would venture on the road and actually beat someone who could run, ya know, just to stuff it in the face of the people who doubt this is truly a great horse.

classhandicapper
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I suspect she's quite a bit better than she's given credit for based on her speed figures and the class of races she has been competing in. A horse simply doesn't go 19 for 19 without being much better than the competition. The variety of paces, trips etc... she was exposed to that typically flip flop the results between horses of even reasonably similar ability couldn't do her in. That's telling you that she had more in the tank than she showed on numerous occasions. I think many figure handicappers underrate the "classic" highly consistent horse. Accumulating an outstanding record is rarely an accident. It's not so much that you can get overlays on these horses. It's that they aren't the underlays people sometimes think when they try to beat them.

bcgreg
12-16-2008, 07:14 AM
I suspect she's quite a bit better than she's given credit for based on her speed figures and the class of races she has been competing in. A horse simply doesn't go 19 for 19 without being much better than the competition. The variety of paces, trips etc... she was exposed to that typically flip flop the results between horses of even reasonably similar ability couldn't do her in. That's telling you that she had more in the tank than she showed on numerous occasions. I think many figure handicappers underrate the "classic" highly consistent horse. Accumulating an outstanding record is rarely an accident. It's not so much that you can get overlays on these horses. It's that they aren't the underlays people sometimes think when they try to beat them.

Very good post, well said!

My opinion is that Peppers Pride has a very rare defect...she literally loves to run and she loves to win! She is the type of thoroughbred that would probably break herself down trying to pass Zenyatta in the stretch.

Congrats Peppers Pride on number 19. Here's hoping you pass your heart on to many children in the breeding shed.

Donnie
12-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Watched the race as well. Wish I could have caught some of her earlier races.....she is a runner!
Sad point....3 photographers (that I counted) were standing at the finishline. And that was about all. No crowd cheering her on. Maybe the angle was just bad, but it appeared you could see the first 10 feet of the apron from the track inward. Hope she had better support when she actually beat the record.
Either way, huge congrats to the connections. Appears they have done all the right things with this horse!

SMOO
12-16-2008, 08:05 AM

:ThmbUp:

But some people would rather lose going against a "public" horse than cash an easy ticket or at least not bet the race.