PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita trip

BW~!
12-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking about taking a trip to SA next year as I noticed some reasonably priced airfares to LA. Does anybody have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels nearby the track? Are there any within walking distance of the track?

Also how long is the trip from LAX to the Arcadia area? Is that the best airport to fly into?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

George Sands
12-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm thinking about taking a trip to SA next year as I noticed some reasonably priced airfares to LA. Does anybody have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels nearby the track? Are there any within walking distance of the track?

Also how long is the trip from LAX to the Arcadia area? Is that the best airport to fly into?

LAX to Arcadia, non-rush hour? Probably averages about 75 minutes. I never land at LAX if there's a way I can land in Long Beach. Hotel? Love the Marriott Residence Inn. Very short drive from the track.

jfb
12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I would prefer Burbank Airport of even Ontario Airport to LAX. Considerably less hassle at the airport and the drive is much much easier to Arcadia.

You might consider taking the Metro rail lines. I am not sure which ones come from airports, but the gold line takes you to Pasadena and Arcadia. Pasadena is right next to Arcadia and has many nice hotels. For a more quaint atmosphere you might look for a bed and breakfast type place in Sierra Madre which is just north of Arcadia.

There is a motel right across the street from the track that seems okay, though I do not remember the name.

Enjoy your visit, hard to beat the quality of the light in Los Angeles during the winter.

boomman
12-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I would prefer Burbank Airport of even Ontario Airport to LAX. Considerably less hassle at the airport and the drive is much much easier to Arcadia.

You might consider taking the Metro rail lines. I am not sure which ones come from airports, but the gold line takes you to Pasadena and Arcadia. Pasadena is right next to Arcadia and has many nice hotels. For a more quaint atmosphere you might look for a bed and breakfast type place in Sierra Madre which is just north of Arcadia.

There is a motel right across the street from the track that seems okay, though I do not remember the name.

Enjoy your visit, hard to beat the quality of the light in Los Angeles during the winter.

I don't remember the name of the place right across the street either, but the point is there are some nice hotel options all around, just don't spoil your trip by flying into LAX. Southwest also has good deals into Burbank and especially Ontario, so check one of those out for your flight plans............

Boomer

jballscalls
12-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Have a blast!! I've been to Kee, CD, and a ton of other tracks and Santa Anita is still my favorite to visit. There is no place like it.

freehouse2002
12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
These guys beat me to it. I would suggest Burbank myself. From there you just hop on the I5 to the 134/210 and you're at the track in about 20 minutes. Like others said, there are plenty of places nearby, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend on a room and whether you are just visiting SA or planning on going sightseeing elsewhere. DO NOT USE LAX. It is soooo far out of the way, don't do it (unless you plan on visiting Hollywood Park, lol).

Good luck and have fun!

freehouse2002

rgustafson
12-10-2008, 01:35 PM
If you are not fussy about your accomodations, there is a Motel 6 and also The Santa Anita Inn, both right across the street from the track.

JustRalph
12-10-2008, 04:55 PM
It's LA. don't forget to double normal driving times

just about anywhere you go........anywhere near rush hour.

maryforney
12-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I work at Santa Anita... definitely the best airport is Burbank (Bob Hope Airport). It's about a 25 minute drive to Santa Anita. If you want to stay within walking distance, check out the Santa Anita Inn, or Motel 6. Otherwise, there are some nice places in Arcadia (within 2 or 3 miles), such as Embassy Suites, Springhill Suites, Doubletree, Mariott, etc. If you're coming during Breeders Cup, I would suggest you book NOW! Have a great trip, and don't miss breakfast and the workouts at Clockers Corner!!

lamboguy
12-10-2008, 11:09 PM
i haven't been there in years, i think the burbank airport is the closest if you have that choice.

i remember santa anita as a great place. if i am right, santa anita was a pear-shared reit. meaning the owner of santa anita got grand fathered in special tax breaks. as far as i know there was a fellow by the name of ABE GOSMAN that owned the santa anita reit. he bought la quinta inns with the status. then clinton signed a law negating the status, and abe who was on the fortune 400 list went broke.

i hope you have a great time there when you go. i was there the end of january and it was beautiful.

Living Flame
12-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Santa Anita was the first track I ever laid eyes on. It IS beautiful. Still beautiful, although Stronach nearly destroyed it.

Do check out Clocker's Corner in the early morning, and the infield. It's very peaceful (except when they're having one of those stupid Microbrew festivals). Lamb Chop and at least one other horse are buried there.
Wander around between races. Lovely Paddock gardens area. :ThmbUp: The track has this great energy to it. It's in a good safe part of town,too.

Hajck Hillstrom
12-11-2008, 04:03 AM
I'd have to echo Maryforney's suggestions. Arcadia would give you the convenient options along with multiple dining opportunities. Burbank airport is the must starting point with Pasadena en route to the track. The track is a different place today, but one can still taste the nostalgia of it's storied past. The Frontrunner's Restaurant does have a modern appeal while on track, but I'd take a couple of the covied nooks in the Turf Club or Club Houses' 5th floor for the premier racing experience the plant offers.

DanG
12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I work at Santa Anita... definitely the best airport is Burbank (Bob Hope Airport). It's about a 25 minute drive to Santa Anita. If you want to stay within walking distance, check out the Santa Anita Inn, or Motel 6. Otherwise, there are some nice places in Arcadia (within 2 or 3 miles), such as Embassy Suites, Springhill Suites, Doubletree, Mariott, etc. If you're coming during Breeders Cup, I would suggest you book NOW! Have a great trip, and don't miss breakfast and the workouts at Clockers Corner!!
All good suggestions here and please do yourself a favor and follow Mary’s advice for the breakfast at clocker corner. Do not even go near the track until you have done this morning ritual first. Hopefully you will have a clear day and as the haze lifts with the San Gabriel in the background you will see one of the most awe inspiring sights in sports.

Right before the sun rises would be a good starting point imo…
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02nOggP285e71/610x.jpg

GaryG
12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
There is (or was) a fine restaurant called the North Woods Inn. I think it is on the corner of Baldwin and Huntington Dr. Really nice cabbage salad.

Speed Figure
12-11-2008, 09:38 AM

There's a motel 6 across the street and lots of food places to eat nearby.

Fingal
12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Since I live in Arcadia with Santa Anita in my backyard, I suppose I'm spoiled, but no other track compares to The Great Race Place. Because while you can have a great race elsewhere, it's the PLACE that makes the difference. Like Mary said, when you go, no trip to SA is complete unless you pull yourself out of a cozy warm bed, get over to Clocker's Corner & have a trackside Breakfast watching morning workouts. And on Saturday / Sundays they have a Seabiscuit tram tour that goes through the backstretch where among other things they point out the barn Seabiscuit had. Walking part is to the Receiving Barn & then going through the Silks & Jockeys Room among other things. Highly recommended, call SA for no cost reservations.

BlueShoe
12-11-2008, 09:24 PM
My choice flying in would be Ontario.Last choice would be LAX.Total nightmare driving across metro LA area.Burbank might have limited flights on preferred days.Flying into Ontario often has lower rates than flights into LAX,and the trip to SA is not too bad.

Tampa Russ
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM

I just found out I'l be in Santa Ana the first week of March. How bad will my drive be if I can squeeze in a day at Santa Anita on a Thursday or Friday?

freehouse2002
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Traffic will probably be best on Thursday. Seeing how you are goint to go first week in March, if you have time for it, I would go on the first Saturday in March. That's when they run the Big Cap. It's one of the few "festive" feeling days.

freehouse2002

juanepstein
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
nice to see follow arcadians.

i grew up in arcadia and went to arcadia high school less than a mile from the track. been looking at horses since i was 11. grandparents ran one of the biggest books in east l.a. at the time so i was always taking drives with them.so hearing trevor on the mic while i was sitting in class gave me an awfull itch to ditch. but definitly there is nothing like santa anita racetrack period in my book.

santa anita inn is a nice place to stay. right across from the track and a 1oo yrd walk to the club house enterance. stop by and get a corn beef sandwich and ask the girl making it what the word is on the backstretch(tip).

i live in palm springs now and huntington beach 4 years prior so i havent cruised the nieghborhood daily for years so im sure things have changed.so me giving you places to dine might leave you to no where. but i thought northwoods inn was torn down so you might want to check that first. if its still up definitly give the place a go. young cute waitresses too:eek:

jfb
12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I just found out I'l be in Santa Ana the first week of March. How bad will my drive be if I can squeeze in a day at Santa Anita on a Thursday or Friday?

Coming up from Santa Ana in the late morning won't be so bad as long as you stay off the 5 freeway. You probably want to take the 57 which skirts through the east side. you can catch the 57 just north of Santa Ana - it starts by the intersection of the 5 and the 22.

Take the 57 North to the 210 and then the 210 West to Arcadia. You can get off at Huntington Drive oo Santa Anita Ave or Baldwin Ave.

The ride back, if you are returning to Orange County, will be a bitch. Plan on having a nice dinner in Old Town Pasadena and then go back after 8pm. At that time any route should be ok, baring accidents.

Tampa Russ
12-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Traffic will probably be best on Thursday. Seeing how you are goint to go first week in March, if you have time for it, I would go on the first Saturday in March. That's when they run the Big Cap. It's one of the few "festive" feeling days.

freehouse2002

Thanks. I would have loved to be there for that, but that day happens to be my wife's birthday, and she wants to be at Disnelyland...what can I say. I'm actually looking at the last Thursday or Friday in February. It is possible I could do SA on Saturday Feb 28th, but we have to drive to Palm Springs that Saturday night. Have to check on that drive.

Tampa Russ
12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Coming up from Santa Ana in the late morning won't be so bad as long as you stay off the 5 freeway. You probably want to take the 57 which skirts through the east side. you can catch the 57 just north of Santa Ana - it starts by the intersection of the 5 and the 22.

Take the 57 North to the 210 and then the 210 West to Arcadia. You can get off at Huntington Drive oo Santa Anita Ave or Baldwin Ave.

The ride back, if you are returning to Orange County, will be a bitch. Plan on having a nice dinner in Old Town Pasadena and then go back after 8pm. At that time any route should be ok, baring accidents.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.