PDA

View Full Version : Who still saves charts?

Alyblakester
12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
:rolleyes:
I used to clip charts out of the paper, now I simply get them off the net. Anybody else save the official race charts for their main track or tracks?

My Uncle Bill (R.I.P.) used to cut his out of the paper and tape or glue them into a big Speigel catalog that my aunt would give him. He was religious about his charts but he wasn't a big horseplayer by any means. Looking back I found that odd. He would only go once a week and went through all that trouble.

misscashalot
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
:ThmbUp: NYRA since 1989 Microfiche, CD's, downloads

I also have every breeders cup chart

BillW
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
The easy way to do it is in a database. I keep all charts.

JohnnyBatTBD
12-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I miss the old microfiche days.
Something about that blue screen made the charts come to life.
I got the entire eastern region for $25 a month back then.
Believe it or not to me it was easier than downloading each race from each day from each track.
Hey! Is there a service where I can download every result chart in North America, say once a week or once a month with one touch of a button?
Thanks for the help.
Anybody want to buy an attache style microfiche?

Johnny B.

kitts
12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I used to back in the '50s when there was so little info available. After much recent study, I am resuming my charts feeding via Simulcast Weekly. The other day I caught a $17 winner who ran 2nd in provious race but the Chart revealed it was a better-than-average-2nd. Under my normal 'capping, I would not have bet this one.

strapper
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I miss the old microfiche days.
Something about that blue screen made the charts come to life.
I got the entire eastern region for $25 a month back then.
Believe it or not to me it was easier than downloading each race from each day from each track.
Hey! Is there a service where I can download every result chart in North America, say once a week or once a month with one touch of a button?
Thanks for the help.
Anybody want to buy an attache style microfiche?

Johnny B.

You miss microfiche? I forgot about that stuff. I used to deal with that at the library and at work. Don't miss it at all!

Tom
12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Kitts, dittos on the Sim Weekly - one years worth on the website is handy.
I also save the BRIS charts with the beaten length option for a couple of tracks.

kitts
12-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Tom-

Am I getting too antsy? I subscribed by telephone to Sim Weekly on 11/25 and have yet to get an issue? I also found the DRF book "Off The Charts" by Nick Borg a great help.

Tom
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Kitts, I renewed in mid October and have not gotten a hard copy yet!
I am emailing today.

BeatTheChalk
12-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I used to back in the '50s when there was so little info available. After much recent study, I am resuming my charts feeding via Simulcast Weekly. The other day I caught a $17 winner who ran 2nd in provious race but the Chart revealed it was a better-than-average-2nd. Under my normal 'capping, I would not have bet this one.

Shhh pssst .. Just between You and Me and this gate post :bang:
Could you tell me how the Chart revealed the B- T - A 2nd ? :jump:
I save every chart of the 10 or so Top tracks every day. :cool:

Harvhorse
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I have been saving charts for about 25 years. Very easy now that DRF makes them availible free on the web. I do NYRA only, do key races, fast races, bad trips, fast or slow pace. certain trainers claims. All info is put into Brisnet Alerts. This is all very time consuming, I have vowed to stop my times, but I'm hooked. I have found that keeping charts makes you aware of the pecking order on your track, you know who are the best cheap sprinters and routers, the most promising young horses etc.

CincyHorseplayer
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Good question Aly.And I'm not sure anybody answered it fully.

Say tommorrow night I wanted to have every chart from last Year's Tampa Bay Downs to make my own pars for this meet.

Where could that be gotten at ???Does HDW sell this kind of info???And at what cost if so???

takeout
12-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Say tommorrow night I wanted to have every chart from last Year's Tampa Bay Downs to make my own pars for this meet.

Where could that be gotten at ???FWIW: I’ve ordered archived pdf charts from BRIS/TSN before but it’s the “every chart” part that could be a problem. Make sure all of them that you want are there before downloading. I’ve gotten them before and had days missing. For some reason those files never made it into the archives to begin with. Guess they went down a black hole or something. At any rate, there is nothing they could or would ever do about it so make sure everything you need is there before downloading. (I had to also give up on a later attempt at 3 months worth of back charts due to 4 days missing out of that bunch.) Cancellations can be looked up at the Equibase site.

kitts
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Beatthechalk-

I would like to give you a definitive reply but interpretation is highly subjective. I have watched thousands and thousands of races and you sort of get a feel for it after a while. I have made such judgements in the past without bebefit of results charts and I presume you know the feeling