PDA

View Full Version : Bad Spill At Beulah yesterday

Nmytwenties
12-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Yesterday's 6th at Beulah had a bad spill in which three riders were dismounted. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything concerning the health of the riders?? I haven't seen a thing on line and that surprises me because it was a really bad incident but perhaps that's a good thing, hopefully injuries weren't so bad so they were not news worthy. All three took off their remaining mounts yesterday and today.

Edgar Paucar was on the horse that broke down and took the worst of it, it looked really bad, one of the worst I have ever witnessed. Jose Calo and Jose Collazo Jr. both fell off their mounts as they swerved to avoid the fallen horse, they didn't appear to be in as bad of a way that Edgar did. Thankfully both of those horses ran on afterward and appeared to be uninjured, I am not sure if that can can be said for the hose that broke down unforchantly.

Alyblakester
12-09-2008, 05:22 PM
So sorry to learn of the Ohio spill. Probably an off track up there. That Paucar rides a lot of winners there, doesn't he? Praying for their complete recoveries.

Nmytwenties
12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Actually the track was better yesterday, fast conditions, than quite a few days had been recently, they have ran in some swimming pool like conditions at times this year.

If you look at the horse's form that broke down you come closer to the probable reason for the fall. Good racing record but it hadn't made a start until it was four, then after three races took a year layoff, then two more races and a 4 month layoff before its last race. The horse may have had physical issues.

Paucar is the regular leading rider there. Doesn't do quite as well at other places. Hopefully someone can post with some good news on the riders.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
IIRC Beulah hasn't been permitted to simulcast, at least ADW wagering, so many of us might not have been able to follow the track lately nor see the signal. I know I haven't been able to follow it anymore.

With the cold weather lately, I wonder, as Hawthorne experienced last week, the track looking fast as in dry, but actually being frozen, at least underneath.

Hope Edwin Paucar and the other riders and their horses are OK. I als still hope the simulcasting and ADW situation in Ohio is resolved soon.

bdownes
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Paucar will be ok. Stayed in hospital overnight. DRF reported it was a concussion. U have to be cautious with concussions. Calo had a concussion too but I don't know about his condition. The third jockey was ok.

I thought the horse Paucar was on broke down at first but a couple of people told me it was a massive heart attack. It did happen very suddenly. The short field helped things from going from bad to worse.

Nmytwenties
12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Great to hear that he is relatively ok, it was a horrible looking incident. Hopefully Calo will be back riding soon as well. Thanks alot for the information Bill , that must be one of the toughest times/things to deal with as a track announcer when a bad spill takes place like that.