PDA

View Full Version : How could a pool shrink?

pontifor
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Watching the win pool amount, I have seen rarely, but more than once, the amount on a entry drop?! Maybe a minute left to post or so and just for one runner. Isn't this totally impossible? Maybe I need the shrink.. :confused:

thanks,
S

ryesteve
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Watching the win pool amount, I have seen rarely, but more than once, the amount on a entry drop?! Maybe a minute left to post or so and just for one runner. Isn't this totally impossible?
Nope... you're allowed to cancel bets. I'm more concerned when that happens a minute AFTER post :)

lamboguy
12-09-2008, 12:58 PM
and it often does happen after the break. i have seen it and i am told it is because of the teller's union insisting that they can cancel tickets that a customer might stick them with.

Tom Barrister
12-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I've seen cases in which "steers" bet large amounts on a horse, designed to get the public to jump on the bandwagon and bet that horse. Later, the steer cancels the bet and moves it to different horse. They did and do this frequently at certain tracks, Lousiana Downs being the first to come to mind.

lamboguy
12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
with technology today anything is possible. back before computers i went to the taunton dog track, had to be in the early 1970's, the guy that owned the place joe lynsey ha da machine in his office, i was there with one of his reletives, he punched out a $5 winning ticket after the race was over and gave it to me on the winner and told me to go buy some popcorn. when you look at the trifecta ans superfecta payoffs you have to wonder whats going on now!

BIG49010
12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I've seen cases in which "steers" bet large amounts on a horse, designed to get the public to jump on the bandwagon and bet that horse. Later, the steer cancels the bet and moves it to different horse. They did and do this frequently at certain tracks, Lousiana Downs being the first to come to mind.

This is a very common process at many tracks, they bet the false favorite earily to get the public on the horse, then bail out after the last flash hits with a teller that is on thet take. I watched a very public handicapper do it many times at Arlington Park.

Show Me the Wire
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
The above is a good reason to use the CD as Karl advocates. The payoffs will tell you if the horse is bet legitimately or is a red herring.