PDA

View Full Version : 12/9 NFL Mock Draft

Bubbles
12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
For the purposes of this draft, I'm assuming players eligible to come out come out unless they say otherwise (like Colt McCoy did).

Firstly, Detroit trades the #1 pick. They can get just as much help at a need position at #4, and they also get an extra day one pick from it. With that in mind, here goes...

1) St. Louis Rams (from Detroit): Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Rationale: I still think he could be a system quarterback, but there's no denying he can lead an offense given the right situation. The Rams' QB situation is MISERABLE right now, so they could use him. Is it a risk? Yes. But if it pays off, imagine how good the Rams could potentially be down the line.

2) Cincinnati Bengals: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
Rationale: If Carson Palmer comes back healthy, their offense may not need to spend the pick here. Their defense is abysmal, and Orakpo is the best edge-rusher in the draft.

3) Kansas City Chiefs: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Rationale: It's tough to say who they'll take here given that Orakpo, who would have been the best fit, is off the board. They could conceivably trade down, but for the purposes of this draft, we'll assume they fill another defensive need. #3's a bit of a reach, but Maualuga's easily the best linebacker in the draft and for sure a top-ten talent.

4) Detroit Lions (from St. Louis): Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Rationale: I could also see James Laurinaitis going here, but that's even more of a reach than Maualuga was at #3. However, Jenkins is the best cover man in the draft by leaps and bounds, and fills a need on the defensive end.

5) Seattle Seahawks: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Rationale: The Seahawks could go QB if they like what they see in Tim Tebow or Matt Stafford, but I'm not star-struck by either. Moreno's a complete halfback, and without him, Stafford's just another SEC quarterback. He's easily an upgrade over Julius Jones and Mo Morris.

6) Oakland Raiders: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Rationale: Are there any more exciting words in football than "Al Davis is on the clock?" It's no secret he likes star power, and Crabtree has that in spades being the best receiver in the draft. His talent is off the charts, and if he declares, he'll either get snapped up here or elsewhere on the lower fringes of the top ten.

7) Jacksonville Jaguars: Taylor Mays, S, USC
Rationale: If I'm them, I try to trade up and nab Crabtree. However, with him off the board at this spot, I think the Jags address another need, their secondary. Mays is easily the best safety in the draft, and he can play at both safety spots.

8) Cleveland Browns: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Rationale: I could see them going running back, but with Javon Ringer likely available at their spot in the second round, I think they wait for his slashing ability and take him to team up with Jamal Lewis rather than take another big back in Chris Wells. They need help on defense, and Johnson is the best defensive player available.

9) San Francisco 49ers: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Rationale: San Fran could use help at QB, but their offensive line has been awful this year. Oher is the best tackle in the draft, and he can step in and help right away.

10) Green Bay Packers: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
Rationale: The Packers REALLY need help on defense. They couldn't hold a lead to save their life this season, and it made a very good debut season for Aaron Rodgers take a backseat. Laurinaitis isn't a sexy pick, but he's a gritty, consistent playmaker who has a nose for the football. In other words, a stereotypical Green Bay Packer.

11) San Diego Chargers: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Rationale: Say what you will about LaDanian Tomlinson's subpar season, but he hasn't exactly had a lot of help from his offensive line. The Chargers have been a huge disappointment this year, and this pick helps shore up a shortcoming.

12) Buffalo Bills: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Rationale: Buffalo has had no pass rush all season. Yes, Aaron Schobel has been hurt, but when nobody on the team has more than four sacks, you've got a problem that needs to be addressed at this position in the draft.

13) Houston Texans: William Moore, S, Missouri
Rationale: This secondary is like swiss cheese: Full of holes. Moore is the best defensive back left on the board, and like some of the players already selected, he can start right away and grow into the system.

14) Chicago Bears: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
Rationale: The Bears need to give Kyle Orton someone to throw to. Heyward-Bey shifts gears like nobody else in college football, and his playmaking ability is second only to Michael Crabtree.

15) Washington Redskins: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
Rationale: Washington needs help at the linebacker position, and there's nobody else on the board who would contribute as much as Curry would.

16) New Orleans Saints: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
Rationale: The Saints have one of the best offenses in the league. Unfortunately, their poor defense may cause them to miss the playoffs. Brown has shown he can get to the quarterback (12.5 sacks this season), and that should continue at the next level.

17) Philadelphia Eagles: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
Rationale: Yeah, McNabb has been inconsistent, but look who he's throwing to. Kevin Curtis? Reggie Brown? DeSean Jackson is solid, but the Eagles need another threat at wideout, and that's exactly what Maclin is.

18) Miami Dolphins: D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
Rationale: Miami's had a phenomenal turnaround, but their secondary is still atrocious. Moore is the best corner left on the board, and he'll need to be good enough to start.

19) New England Patriots: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
Rationale: They could go cornerback with this pick, but their linebackers are insanely old. They need new blood in this defense, and that's what Sintim provides.

20) Atlanta Falcons: Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
Rationale: Marks was one of the few bright spots in Auburn's horrid season. The Falcons, like the Dolphins, have done well at turning their fortunes around, but their hole is in stopping the run. Marks should step in and fill that hole well.

21) Denver Broncos: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Rationale: This is the dream pick for Denver. They are down to fifth and sixth-string running backs in a system where backs are supposed to always succeed. In Wells, they get a guy who should do just that.

22) New York Jets: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
Rationale: Laverneus Coles is getting up there in age, and Jerricho Cotchery, while a solid receiver, hasn't developed into a #1 target the way New York wanted him to. Percy Harvin gives Favre a proven deep threat to go to on every down, and while his recent injury raises a small red flag, it's not enough to knock him lower than this.

23) Arizona Cardinals: Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
Rationale: Arizona's defense is as lousy as their offense is explosive. Spikes is the best defensive player left on the board, so this is pretty much a no-brainer.

24) Detroit Lions (from Dallas): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Rationale: Detroit has not had a solid offensive line...well, ever. Monroe is thought of by some as a top-ten talent, and the Lions will be pleased to have him fall into their laps in this spot.

25) Minnesota Vikings: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
Rationale: It's between Tebow and Stafford. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but Tebow can ultimately find more ways to beat a team. His throwing off his back foot is an issue, but if he was accurate in college doing that, imagine his ceiling if they fix that problem. This is a big risk, but if it works, Minnesota may find the missing piece of the puzzle.

26) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
Rationale: Wide receiver is a need position, but there's nobody of first-round caliber left to take. Instead, TB opts to take a quarterback, since one would think Jeff Garcia will retire soon. Stafford's the best left, and he's a good fit, as he won't be asked to to do too much too soon.

27) Indianapolis Colts: Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
Rationale: The Colts simply cannot stop the run. They've given up 100+ yards to six different backs, and that can't continue to happen. Cody should help with depth on the d-line, and if he develops nicely, he'd be a welcome addition.

28) Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
Rationale: Like TB, they need wideouts, but it's too early to grab anyone left on the board. Todd Heap has been steadily sliding downhill for a number of seasons, and Pettigrew should be able to leapfrog him on the depth chart with ease before providing Joe Flacco with a nice, intermediate-range target downfield.

29) Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina): Ciron Black, OT, LSU
Rationale: Philly loves taking linemen, and two of their starters will test the market following this season. Black is the best left at the position, and after being rated a mid-first round prospect and falling here, he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

30) Pittsburgh Steelers: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
Rationale: Pittsburgh's lone hole is on the offensive line. Robinson is a guard, not a tackle, but he's still the best lineman on the board at this juncture and is picked without hesitation by a team who could really use him.

31) New York Giants: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Rationale: The Giants don't really have a need position at this point. However, I'm not at all sold on Corey Webster. He makes one big play a game, but is burned five other times in that timespan. Davis was rated by some as having a higher ceiling than Malcolm Jenkins, and while there are attitude issues here, he should shape up after his first Tom Coughlin tongue-lashing.

32) Tennessee Titans: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Rationale: At this point, the Titans should take the best player available. Offensive line isn't really a need position, but Smith is a top-20 prospect that fell when the rest of the linemen prospects did. Like the others, he's a solid pick in the later part of the first round.

cj
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
If you've watched OU play, no way you can consider Bradford a system QB. Harrell, no doubt. Zac Robinson, absolutely. Colt McCoy, probably. Bradford, no way.

Most likely he is staying in school.

Bubbles
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
See, I don't know about that. Every broadcaster of an Oklahoma game is so quick to compare Bradford to Josh Hyple (sp.?), their quarterback from earlier this decade (and their current QB coach). He never played a down in the NFL. Same with Jason White, their six-year quarterback who won a Heisman. Those offenses put up a ton of points, but where are those QB's now?

I hope Bradford does well, I really do. I've seen Oklahoma play, and it's impressive to watch. However, past history regarding highly-touted Oklahoma quarterbacks doesn't work in his favor, which is why there's a constant itch telling me OU is an offense for system guys.

DanG
12-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting list B;

Aaron Curry :jump: (LB / Wake) is a can’t miss NFL star imo. Anyone who passes on him will be kicking themselves.

I would not spend a 1st on any of the senior QB’s this year.

One look at the draft and its no mystery why no one wants USC in a bowl game. All three LB’s are 1st round picks and when Taylor Mays starts his combine work they won’t believe his talent.

I would also be surprised if GB went for Laurinaitis. The little I’ve watched AJ Hawk has not been very impressive. True; Laurinaitis has more talent and size, but AJ may have left a bad taste for OS LB’s.

cj
12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
See, I don't know about that. Every broadcaster of an Oklahoma game is so quick to compare Bradford to Josh Hyple (sp.?), their quarterback from earlier this decade (and their current QB coach). He never played a down in the NFL. Same with Jason White, their six-year quarterback who won a Heisman. Those offenses put up a ton of points, but where are those QB's now?

I hope Bradford does well, I really do. I've seen Oklahoma play, and it's impressive to watch. However, past history regarding highly-touted Oklahoma quarterbacks doesn't work in his favor, which is why there's a constant itch telling me OU is an offense for system guys.

Think about it bubs, neither of those guys was even considered a top draft pick. I saw both of them play too and neither one is even remotely close to as good as Bradford, and he is a sophmore. He is more mobile and has an NFL arm. I've watched a football game or two in my day, and this guy is the real deal.

rastajenk
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Everything I've seen has Alabama's Smith as a top five. A slide to 11 would be Brady Quinn-like.

And Tebow is so unusual that teams won't know what to do with him. Second-rounder at best, going to a team picking "best available athlete," not need.

I don't think you've been watching the Bengals this year. The defense, while not good, is much improved. But they lead the league in three-and-outs, so the D gets no rest, and give up long second half drives that make their stats look bad. If they can't protect Palmer, can't run-block, lose TJ to free agency, give up on Chad and Chris "Short Arms Henry, then it will be business as usual in Bengal-land.

Bengies play KC in the final game for that coveted second-or-third pick. They should trade it for more picks down the line, and not waste them on projects and punters.

boomman
12-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Think about it bubs, neither of those guys was even considered a top draft pick. I saw both of them play too and neither one is even remotely close to as good as Bradford, and he is a sophmore. He is more mobile and has an NFL arm. I've watched a football game or two in my day, and this guy is the real deal.

bubbles:Kudos to you for another fine mock draft list that you obviously put a lot of work into, but I do agree with CJ on Sam Bradford. I think he will be a great NFL QB, especially given the dismal QB's (other than a select few) in the league right now..............

Boomer

nomadpat
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Interesting mock draft. I agree that the Broncos could use a stud RB, but think their biggest weakness is at DL and have concerns at safety. Plus as they've proven, there isn't a need to spend a 1st round choice on an RB :)

Bubbles
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't think you've been watching the Bengals this year. The defense, while not good, is much improved. But they lead the league in three-and-outs, so the D gets no rest, and give up long second half drives that make their stats look bad. If they can't protect Palmer, can't run-block, lose TJ to free agency, give up on Chad and Chris "Short Arms Henry, then it will be business as usual in Bengal-land.

You could be right, but I THOROUGHLY hate drafting offensive linemen in the top five. These players have the least incentive to improve after signing the big contracts, because what bonuses can you give a lineman? Games played? That's a given; if a team drafts an offensive lineman that highly, barring injury, he'll play all 16 games.

Plus, for every Orlando Pace, there are three or four Robert Gallery's, Tony Mandarich's, etc. There are just too many hidden variables in scouting linemen, and I truly don't think it's worth the risk 99.9% of the time.

Hank
12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Bradford[who I like alot] Is not even a 1st round pick, let alone #1 overall.

cj
12-09-2008, 05:36 PM

I'd love to know where you have heard that one. I haven't seen anyone of note not have him in the top 10.

boomman
12-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Hank: I have a feeling we are both betting men (I certainly am) and if Bradford declares for the draft, I can assure you a nice price on your bet if you are correct that he won't be drafted in the 1st round.:lol: I can't even imagine given the dismal QB situation for many teams in the NFL that you would make that statement......................:confused:

Boomer

cj's dad
12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
To save a lot of research (for me), who was the last really good QB to come out of the Big 12 and suceed in the NFL?

Honestly, I can't think of any.

And if Sam B. wins the Hiesman, he's toast - it's the kiss of death.

Bubbles
12-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe the answer is Troy Aikman.

ElKabong
12-09-2008, 11:32 PM

Troy Aikman played his last yrs at UCLA. He left 0u with a broken leg trying to run the wishbone in 1985 vs Miami.

ElKabong
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
To save a lot of research (for me), who was the last really good QB to come out of the Big 12 and suceed in the NFL?

Honestly, I can't think of any.

And if Sam B. wins the Hiesman, he's toast - it's the kiss of death.

2006 rookie of the year. Vince Young.

Put him on the right team in the right situation and he'll continue on that success. And, I agree w/ Ralph about Troy Smith. Right place, right time, right coach, he'd be very good.

Hank
12-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I'd love to know where you have heard that one. I haven't seen anyone of note not have him in the top 10.

Most of the stuff I've seen has him rated the 3rd or 4th Qb behind the USC and Georgia QBs which might put him into the 2nd round.scouts.com

Hank
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I went back and checked myself and scout.com now has SB #3 I guess his stock is up.:blush:

Hank
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Hank: I have a feeling we are both betting men (I certainly am) and if Bradford declares for the draft, I can assure you a nice price on your bet if you are correct that he won't be drafted in the 1st round.:lol: I can't even imagine given the dismal QB situation for many teams in the NFL that you would make that statement......................:confused:

Boomer

Hey, I went and checked my self and SB stock is indeed up now,however I'd still be willing to listen to the nice price offer. Just how nice are we talking here?:ThmbUp:

boomman
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey, I went and checked my self and SB stock is indeed up now,however I'd still be willing to listen to the nice price offer. Just how nice are we talking here?:ThmbUp:

Let's see if he declares for the draft, and if he does, I'll offer you whatever nice price that we can agree on because you're going to lose that bet! There is absolutely no chance that Bradford won't go in the 1st round if he's available! But we can "agree to disagree" and put our money where our mouth is.................;)

Boomer

cj's dad
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
2006 rookie of the year. Vince Young.

Put him on the right team in the right situation and he'll continue on that success. And, I agree w/ Ralph about Troy Smith. Right place, right time, right coach, he'd be very good.

Vince (I think I'm having a nervous breakdown?) Young??
He's a walking time bomb.

Troy Smith is a "midget" (listing him at 6'0" is a joke) who can run and roll out but that NEVER lasts in the NFL. He will, unless Flacco is injured - God forbid- remain a bench warmer unless he goes to a bottom level team like Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland or Cincy.

cj's dad
12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Bubs, I was referring to guys not on Social Security.

Hank
12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Let's see if he declares for the draft, and if he does, I'll offer you whatever nice price that we can agree on because you're going to lose that bet! There is absolutely no chance that Bradford won't go in the 1st round if he's available! But we can "agree to disagree" and put our money where our mouth is.................;)

Boomer

Hey remember B Quinn went from #1 overall to #22 in the blink of an eye.:D

boomman
12-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey remember B Quinn went from #1 overall to #22 in the blink of an eye.:D

And Brady might have been drafted too high at #22 even though he still went in the first round! (although he played decently this year and time will tell);) I also remember when Leinart dropped from #1 to #10 in the first round (a pick I'm sure the Cardinals wish they had back):D But I have a strong feeling this kid Bradford is really something special. He can make all the throws, has size AND smarts!

Boomer

Robert Fischer
12-11-2008, 10:48 AM
i honestly don't know a thing about the injury history, but Rey Maualuga would be up on top of the list.

DanG
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
But I have a strong feeling this kid Bradford is really something special. He can make all the throws, has size AND smarts!
Boomer
Agreed Boom;

He’s the best in the B12 South by far and he has something some pro scouts overlook at times…he’s incredibly accurate.

BTW: We all know this will be a great title game, but one under the radar player who is fun to watch for Florida is #29 Janoris Jenkins (True freshman) The kid is listed at a generous 5/10, 180lbs…no way, but he is Antoine Winfield (Vikings) reincarnated.