PDA

View Full Version : New DVD-R+ won't burn -- "Write-Protected"

andicap
12-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Just bought a package of HP DVD R+ discs (in the States) for my HP Pavillion laptop -- also from U.S.
When I bought the DVD in the drive to burn -- it was brand new -- I got a message saying the disc was "write-protected." How can that be if it's brand spanking new and what, if anything, can I do about it?

thanks

Tom Barrister
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I'll asume that your DVD drive will burn DVD R+ discs and isn't limited to just DVD R- discs.

Sometimes a pack of CDs or DVDs will contain one or two bad disks, especially if they come on a spindle. The first thing to do is try another disk. If that works, then the original disk is defective.

If you're still getting an error, the problem may be with the burning software or possibly with the firmware that runs the DVD drive.

It's also possible that the DVD drive itself is failing.

HUSKER55
12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I have had that problem and it annoys me. I don't know if it is MY computer or not but the only way I can burn a cd is to go thru "My Computer".

If I try going thru the disk burning program I get all kinds of problems. Have no clue why.

hope this helps

njcurveball
12-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Just bought a package of HP DVD R+ discs (in the States) for my HP Pavillion laptop -- also from U.S.
When I bought the DVD in the drive to burn -- it was brand new -- I got a message saying the disc was "write-protected." How can that be if it's brand spanking new and what, if anything, can I do about it?

thanks

This might be a longshot, but if you buy disks that are "faster" say 16x, and you put them in a drive that only does 8x, you might get this message.

I would try to burn one at the lowest speed possible as a test and then bump the speeds higher. 2x then 4x, etc.

I don't know what your OS is, XP? Vista? Mac?

Also, I don't know what software you are using. Can you try different software? You may have done all this already.

My last check would be a new driver for the burning device. If all this is fruitless, I would chuck the DVD spindle over a bridge and get some new DVDs of a different brand.

Jim

gillenr
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
One other possible cause - there are different "standards" in different countries. My DVD player allegedly wont play some types. Sorry can't be more specific - pleading ignorance!

headhawg
12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
When I bought the DVD in the drive to burn -- it was brand new -- I got a message saying the disc was "write-protected." How can that be if it's brand spanking new and what, if anything, can I do about it?Have you tried burning from this drive before? I mean, it is a DVD burner and not just a DVD-Rom, yes?