PDA

View Full Version : Best Racing Charity?

Alyblakester
12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
If one wanted to bypass the Salvation Army bellringer this Xmas and give instead to a racing organization who would get your loose change/dollars? I know of the MacBeth Fund and they are terrific for helping fallen jocks in this country; there is a similar organization in Britain (help me with the name if anyone lives across the big pond). The racetrack chaplaincy organization does fine work for the backside community and there are various horse rescue organizations that need cash to keep their good work going for retired Thoroughbreds.

Early Christmas greetings to all! Peace on Earth, Good Will To Men, especially racing men and women!

dave the horseman
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I am a big fan of Turning for Home at PHA. They provide safe retirement for any
trainer's horses that are stabled on the grounds, noble work, and tax deductable

trying2win
12-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Does anyone know? What happens to all the money that racetracks keep in trust for uncashed paritmutuel tickets? I'm assuming most tracks have a policy that will allow bettors to cash in old tickets for up to one year from the original date of purchase. Then the money for the unclaimed tickets goes where?

I thought I read somewhere that this money goes to a jockey's injury fund, I don't know whether those are local, regional, or national injured jockey funds. If that's the case that the money goes to a jockey injury fund, then it's fine with me, as I think that is a very worthwhile cause. But, if the money for unclaimed old tickets over one year goes into the racetracks' bank accounts, I'm against that rule. Racetracks make enough money off bettors with exorbitant track takeouts in many cases, plus that other 'tax' they squeeze out of bettors...i.e. the 'breakage'.

T2W

lamboguy
12-09-2008, 09:17 AM
chris mccarron sponsors a golf tournament every year in new hampshire for the macbeth fund that i play in. he shows up for it too.

if anyone knows of a family in the racing business that has someone doing a tour of duty in either afganistan or iraq, my wife would be glad to bake cookies for them and send it out for free overseas. so far i have had only 2 requests from this board and time is getting on the short side to make it there for christmas.

Tom Barrister
12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm assuming most tracks have a policy that will allow bettors to cash in old tickets for up to one year from the original date of purchase. Then the money for the unclaimed tickets goes where?

Racetracks make enough money off bettors with exorbitant track takeouts in many cases, plus that other 'tax' they squeeze out of bettors...i.e. the 'breakage'.

The money from unclaimed tickets goes into an escrow account for a period of time, which varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, until the ticket is no longer redeemable. At that point, the money generally goes to the state and/or the track. I don't know of anywhere that gives it to charity (that doesn't mean that none do). Breakage works the same way; the money goes to the state and/or track.

Some tracks used to have charitable groups whose volunteers would collect (usually through track maintenance) all of the tickets on the floor and check them for winners. The proceeds went to charitable causes. This probably isn't done much anymore, since most betting is now done at home or through simulcast centers.

rrbauer
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
In Calif uncashed ticket proceeds go to jockey's fund.

Stevie Belmont
12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm in NJ

I support NJ Rerun, but anyone is good if they help out.

Spectacular Sid
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
chris mccarron sponsors a golf tournament every year in new hampshire for the macbeth fund that i play in. he shows up for it too.

if anyone knows of a family in the racing business that has someone doing a tour of duty in either afganistan or iraq, my wife would be glad to bake cookies for them and send it out for free overseas. so far i have had only 2 requests from this board and time is getting on the short side to make it there for christmas.

I wouldn't trust McCarron with my hacked up golf balls. He was the guy who pushed for Dr. Gee to take over the Guild, and that worked out pretty well.

Sounds like your wife is an angel. Good for her.

There are a bunch of good charities. I like giving to the Racetrack Chaplaincy of America , not because I'm a Christian but because they do some very good work with people.