PDA

View Full Version : Is Tampa really a done deal?

NoCal Boy
12-07-2008, 12:49 AM
I am hearing otherwise due to the stance of CDI on source market fees. Also, horsemen are insisting on open access to all ADWs at same rates as last year for GP, but again CDI is balking at access to TVG and possibly Youbet. Magna appears to be amenable on both Tampa and GP so it is CDI on an island right now.

Anyone else care to add what they are hearing?

boomman
12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Tampa Bay Downs is a "done deal" with PTC.:ThmbUp: That's the only one I care about.....

Boomer

rrbauer
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I am hearing otherwise due to the stance of CDI on source market fees. Also, horsemen are insisting on open access to all ADWs at same rates as last year for GP, but again CDI is balking at access to TVG and possibly Youbet. Magna appears to be amenable on both Tampa and GP so it is CDI on an island right now.

Anyone else care to add what they are hearing?

What does CDI have to do with Tampa?

pktruckdriver
12-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Tampa Bay Downs is a "done deal" with PTC.:ThmbUp: That's the only one I care about.....

Boomer

Is this true, way to go Ian :jump: ;)

NoCal Boy
12-07-2008, 12:21 PM
I admit I do not know why CDI's insistence on certain terms (e.g. no source market fees, but a higher host fee) for the Tampa signal would affect others like TVG and Youbet since Tampa is independent and not part of Tracknet, but the word I received yesterday from the FL HBPA was that Tampa was not a done deal yet due to demands by CDI. The issue with GP is CDI's relectance to open up the signal. Notice not Magna, but CDI. Pricing is the same as last year but horsemen are insisting on open access. The owner of the track wants open access as well in Magna. But Tracknet controls the GP signal.

My opinion is this gets done and open for all (both Tampa and GP). But don't you find it odd that no one has made an announcement yet on Tampa being available?

I like what Ian is doing with PTC, but I live in CA and PTC simply is unavailable here. I think that is wrong, but that is the reality at the moment. It is a huge issue if Tampa is unavailable to the major ADWs like TVG, Youbet, Twinspires and Xpressbet. PTC does not take wagers on Tampa from Florida residents so maybe that is why PTC has the signal. I believe TVG, Youbet and the Tracknet ADW's take FL residents. So if Florida residents and California residents do not have access to Tampa, that is a big unresolved issue.

What does CDI have to do with Tampa?

CincyHorseplayer
12-07-2008, 04:39 PM
When asking about Tampa Bay Downs being available at Twinspires this was the email I received from the Florida HBPA;

"Our problem is with Twinspires which thinks that only they and Xpressbet should have the GP signal.Xpressbet agrees with us that Youbet and TVG should also be permitted the signal.But Twinspires' Bill Carstanjen is calling the shots.His email is bill.carstanjen@kentuckyderby.com.Bob Evans can be reached at the same address."

I have looked around to see if any more info was available about this and there is none.So we'll see.

rrbauer
12-07-2008, 04:54 PM
All together now:

Tampa horsemen are represented by the Tampa Bay HBPA, not the Florida HBPA.

CincyHorseplayer
12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
All together now:

Well Tampa Bay HBPA hasn't answered my emails from the same day I contacted the Florida HBPA.And Twinspires is saying nothing is done at this point.So if the TBHBPA has news it's not on the priority list to let anyone know.

You can say you are in the know and have an inside source,but why ridicule us just for asking and speculating on it in spite of your esoteric knowledge???

We just want to know.

CryingForTheHorses
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
All together now:

I thought the FLHBPA controled the state of Florida...Im really confused :bang:

Tampa Russ
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I thought the FLHBPA controled the state of Florida...Im really confused :bang:

That could explain why Florida is, well, Floriduhhh.

rrbauer
12-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Well Tampa Bay HBPA hasn't answered my emails from the same day I contacted the Florida HBPA.And Twinspires is saying nothing is done at this point.So if the TBHBPA has news it's not on the priority list to let anyone know.

You can say you are in the know and have an inside source,but why ridicule us just for asking and speculating on it in spite of your esoteric knowledge???

We just want to know.

No ridicule or other negatives intended; just wanted to clear the air as to which HBPA was involved at Tampa. If your ADW says they don't have a deal for Tampa then you need to pursue that with them, not me, because that's where the issues lie. My ADW says that they have a deal with Tampa and that ends my concern.

judd
12-09-2008, 06:14 AM
opening day dec 13

point given
12-09-2008, 08:54 AM
opening day dec 13
Yipee I Oh Kah Yeah :jump: Hope my ADW carries it

GaryG
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
According to my contact at CDI the Twinspires deal is only in jeopardy at Gulfstream. Tampa (he says) is in the bag.

RichieP
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
According to my contact at CDI the Twinspires deal is only in jeopardy at Gulfstream. Tampa (he says) is in the bag.

Morning G

Here is the email I just received from TS regarding the Tampa meet which is NOT on their schedule for Saturdays opening day. Looks like lockout city again as the bullcrap goes on and on.

I just sent PTC a check this morning to fund the account. I appreciate all that Ian does and adding Cj's figs is yet ANOTHER show of support for us the player. I'll miss opening weekend probably but will be good to go there after.

Buon Natale Gary :)

Dear Rich:

I totally understand your frustration. I've been in the game since the early 80's. I launched Youbet through Ladbroke at the Meadows Call-A-Bet operations, the onset of TVG and it's EXCLUSIVE account wagering contracts and through the transition to Magna's ownership and XpressBet. At the time, 2001 - 2003 of TVG's expansion and launch Churchill Downs signed on for that exclusive distribution; however, has since realized the problems with that approach and choose to not renew that agreement last year when it expired and does not support excluding anyone from wagering on their track products.

TwinSpires is not holding our the Gulfstream Park signal from other folks. Other account wagering companies have been offered the signal with the only provision that they release their Exclusivity for other tracks so that all account wagering companies can provide all tracks to all their players and allow the players to choose their account wagering provider based on their particular preferences. Pretty unreasonable wanting to compete on the basis of products, quality and price.

The ongoing dispute between the horsemen and the tracks is over distribution of the simulcast fees. The horsemen feel that they should get the same percentage of handle from every account wagering customer as if the customer attended the track live. That's not reasonable as the account wagering companies are providing services and availability in markets where customers never previously existed. ADW is the only growing segment of the market, revenue distribution has to allow for continued development of the technology to offer better services and more attractive features to continue to bring more people to the market.

As far as Premier Turf Club for purposes of ADW, they are considered Regional as they operate in conjunction with North Dakota Horse Park and Chippewa Downs, from their website:

Premier Turf Club is a U.S. based pari-mutuel national account wagering provider operated in conjunction with Horse Race North Dakota. We provide legal phone and internet betting services from our facility in Fargo. Unlike the non-pari-mutuel off-shore bookmakers, we pay the tracks for the right to accept simulcast wagers on their races and co-mingle those wagers with the on-track pari-mutuel pools. Unlike the off-shore ADWs, a portion of all monies wagered through Premier Turf Club go to the horsemen and the local racetracks. It's these payments that allow horsemen to run meets at both North Dakota Horse Park and Chippewa Downs each season.

By the way, TwinSpires does have wagering on Calder...for Lousiana residents only as part of the Regional ADW agreement through Fair Grounds Race Course. We just can't offer it to anyone outside the state of Lousisiana or we would.

Bottom line, it hurts the players, horsemen, tracks, adw companies and industry as a whole. We were hopeful when the Texas, California and Louisiana recently reached agreements that the issue would be settled nationwide, but that hasn't occurred yet. We will sit and wait for the negotiations to be resolved just as our players do.

Sincerely,

Shirl

Twinspires Player Services

Ph: 1-877-SPIRES-1 (774-7371)

Fax: (859) 223-9141

rispa
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM

This is bogus information as I spoke to Twinspires just moments ago and they said they don't have an agreement!

Nets
12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Received from Twinspires yesterday in response to my email asking if they would provide Tampa during the upcoming meet:

Dear Gary -
We have not heard for certain, but at this time we anticipate that the Florida horsemen will not approve the simulcast agreement. Please continue to check the website and our calendar for the track.

Sincerely,
Shirl

Twinspires Player Services
Ph: 1-877-SPIRES-1 (774-7371)
Fax: (859) 223-9141

BillW
12-09-2008, 11:31 PM
As far as Premier Turf Club for purposes of ADW, they are considered Regional as they operate in conjunction with North Dakota Horse Park and Chippewa Downs, from their website:

Premier Turf Club is a U.S. based pari-mutuel national account wagering provider operated in conjunction with Horse Race North Dakota. We provide legal phone and internet betting services from our facility in Fargo. Unlike the non-pari-mutuel off-shore bookmakers, we pay the tracks for the right to accept simulcast wagers on their races and co-mingle those wagers with the on-track pari-mutuel pools. Unlike the off-shore ADWs, a portion of all monies wagered through Premier Turf Club go to the horsemen and the local racetracks. It's these payments that allow horsemen to run meets at both North Dakota Horse Park and Chippewa Downs each season.

Richie,

Out of context, considering PTC a regional ADW because their web site says they are a national ADW seems kind of strange (but oddly consistent with management in the racing industry :bang: ). I wonder what question you asked to elicit that response?

RichieP
12-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Richie,

Out of context, considering PTC a regional ADW because their web site says they are a national ADW seems kind of strange (but oddly consistent with management in the racing industry :bang: ). I wonder what question you asked to elicit that response?

Morning Bill
I was pissed when I wrote them initially. I told them that the bullcrap had to stop and how could PTC not only offer wagering but also a REBATE:jump: and TS is holding their putz. I said that PTC IS a national Adw and that is what drew that reply.

I LIKE TS. I am a small bettor (no more than $20 a race). I get videos,replays, some good contests that I can play free etc. Their TS tv is really good quality video imo.

I also really appreciate that Ian and PTC gave a small shooter like me some love and let me open an account there. I plan on now betting my Mnr,Ded and Tampa races through them. :)

CincyHorseplayer
12-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Morning Bill
I was pissed when I wrote them initially. I told them that the bullcrap had to stop and how could PTC not only offer wagering but also a REBATE:jump: and TS is holding their putz. I said that PTC IS a national Adw and that is what drew that reply.

I LIKE TS. I am a small bettor (no more than $20 a race). I get videos,replays, some good contests that I can play free etc. Their TS tv is really good quality video imo.

I also really appreciate that Ian and PTC gave a small shooter like me some love and let me open an account there. I plan on now betting my Mnr,Ded and Tampa races through them. :)

What's the video quality at PTC Richie???

I asked this on another thread but it got buried in the Indulto-CJ showdown.I'm thinking of opening a 2nd ADW account myself.

RichieP
12-10-2008, 06:31 AM
What's the video quality at PTC Richie???

I asked this on another thread but it got buried in the Indulto-CJ showdown.I'm thinking of opening a 2nd ADW account myself.

Cincy,
PTC at this time does not have video to the best of my knowledge.

The rebates ARE substantial at PTC and I am sure that a lot of folks bet say the minimum at video joints like TS,Youbet etc to give them the video rights and then bet all the other action through PTC for their great rebates. :jump:
http://www.premierturfclub.com/

The Tampa,Delta and Mnr signals are available to watch for free in a couple of spots(track websites,Espn etc) so that is not an issue for me.

Tampa Russ
12-10-2008, 07:00 PM
This is bogus information as I spoke to Twinspires just moments ago and they said they don't have an agreement!

I see TS has at least added Tampa to the schedule for Saturday. Maybe it's a good sign, or maybe it means nothing.

DanG
12-10-2008, 08:01 PM
BTW:

If anyone is going out to the Downs Saturday they have lost about 70% of their parking to road construction. The track has purchased shuttles to accommodate anyone parking a good distance. Might be the right day to Valet a wee bit early.

Tampa Russ
12-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I see TS has at least added Tampa to the schedule for Saturday. Maybe it's a good sign, or maybe it means nothing.

It's official. Tampa is a go.

rrbauer
12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
BTW:

If anyone is going out to the Downs Saturday they have lost about 70% of their parking to road construction. The track has purchased shuttles to accommodate anyone parking a good distance. Might be the right day to Valet a wee bit early.

Is Valet still $2 (after paying the $3 CH parking?)

rrbauer
12-10-2008, 10:31 PM
It's official. Tampa is a go.

Oh really? :lol:

DanG
12-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Is Valet still $2 (after paying the $3 CH parking?)
Parking is free and valet is $5 according to today’s Tribune.

rrbauer
12-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Parking is free and valet is $5 according to today’s Tribune.

Maybe they've changed the structure of parking prices. It used to be that you had to pay $3 to get into the clubhouse lot which gave you access to the Valet section which was another $2 (making the total $5). General parking (across the road) was free, but the CH parking was definitely not. I wasn't there last year, but in previous years this was the case.

GaryG
12-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Oh really? :lol:Fom the Twinspires website:

TwinSpires is happy to announce the availability of the full wagering menu for Tampa Bay Downs beginning Saturday, December 13th.
The Winter/Spring Tampa meet runs 94 days with closing day on Sunday, May 3rd.

hracingplyr
12-11-2008, 09:32 AM
parking was 2.00 last yr. I always park accross the street where its free and not that long a walk thru the grandstands. I go there all the time. Right now it is pouring here and i do mean pouring. Would not doubt it if turf races are taken off for Sat card. If in fact there are any carded. They are very quick to take races off the turf course here. Alot of trainers at Tampa have told me its one of the best turf courses around.

Bob

DanG
12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
parking was 2.00 last yr. I always park accross the street where its free and not that long a walk thru the grandstands. I go there all the time.

Bob
I don’t go out that way much but the lot across the street you’re referring to is NA due to construction.

I just re-read the article. I think you guys are right the CH parking is still a charge and a new lot has opened south of the grandstand that will be free with a shuttle.

rrbauer
12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Fom the Twinspires website:

TwinSpires is happy to announce the availability of the full wagering menu for Tampa Bay Downs beginning Saturday, December 13th.
The Winter/Spring Tampa meet runs 94 days with closing day on Sunday, May 3rd.

I think that we've beaten this to death. The Tampa Bay HBPA gave their approval for the meet a week ago to a gazillion ADW's and at rates (I'm told) that are "much lower" than the THG model. If Twin Spires screwed around trying to play a little hardball that's TS not Tampa. I think that someone stole those peoples' toys when they were kids and they've been trying to get even ever since.

CincyHorseplayer
12-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I think that we've beaten this to death. The Tampa Bay HBPA gave their approval for the meet a week ago to a gazillion ADW's and at rates (I'm told) that are "much lower" than the THG model. If Twin Spires screwed around trying to play a little hardball that's TS not Tampa. I think that someone stole those peoples' toys when they were kids and they've been trying to get even ever since.

Good call RRbauer.I know you told me so a week ago and I didn't believe you.You're the newly anointed ADW go to guy:ThmbUp:

JohnnyBatTBD
12-12-2008, 07:12 AM
That parking info is proabably the best racing tip of all.
See you in the grandstand at the wire on Saturday afternoon.

Johnny B.

scgmhawk
12-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't show Tampa as an available track for Youbet for tomorrow. I just sent them an email. I would bet through PTC but I like to have free video. Any ideas?

-Steve

rrbauer
12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't show Tampa as an available track for Youbet for tomorrow. I just sent them an email. I would bet through PTC but I like to have free video. Any ideas?

-Steve
TVG and HRTV? They showed a lot of Tampa races last year. I have to think that Youbet would have Tampa....they don't have to go through TVG to get that track. I guess we will know tomorrow.

Tom
12-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I think I saw Tampa listed at You Bet.
I bought some nice ripe bananas to eat while looking at those beautiful palm trees tomorrow! Yum yum. No more Aquedrab.

JimG
12-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I don’t go out that way much but the lot across the street you’re referring to is NA due to construction.

I just re-read the article. I think you guys are right the CH parking is still a charge and a new lot has opened south of the grandstand that will be free with a shuttle.

Hi Dan,

I used to live in the area. Out of curiosity, what are they building across the street where the free parking lot was located?

Jim

NoCal Boy
12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Youbet is now listing Tampa as a track for tomorrow. TVG is not though.

Really only leaves Gulfstream and Oaklawn to be resolved for the winter..and oh the Ohio tracks also!!!
I think I saw Tampa listed at You Bet.

I bought some nice ripe bananas to eat while looking at those beautiful palm trees tomorrow! Yum yum. No more Aquedrab.

DanG
12-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Dan,

I used to live in the area. Out of curiosity, what are they building across the street where the free parking lot was located?

Jim
Jim,

The article said road construction. :confused: I don’t get out that way very often (about 15 miles from where I live), but now I’m curious myself.

If it’s anyone’s first time at TBD: Dress a little warmer (most days) then the temperature would normally dictate. It’s one of the ‘colder ’70 degrees in the area and it can get a bit breezy. (High of ’70 tomorrow, partly cloudy)

BTW: I think that's how you can tell you’ve been out of a cold climate for a long time; when you start ‘warning people about ‘70’s. :D

Several years ago we had our complex tented and stayed at a local hotel in December. It was in the ‘40’s and our teeth were chattering. A family was down from Canada and they were SWIMMING in the pool!!! :eek: Steam coming off them and they were having a blast looking at us like we were nuts for not joining them. It’s all relative I guess.

Best of luck to anyone going out tomorrow.

JimG
12-12-2008, 03:45 PM

-Steve

Hi Steve,

It was not listed on the Youbet schedule earlier today but it is now. :jump:

Jim

Tampa Russ
12-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Dan,

Jim

The road between the track and that parking lot is being widened and relocated behind the parking lot. Once completed, no more need to have to cross the traffic from the parking lot. It won't be completed until sometime in 2010.

NoCal Boy
12-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Only ADW not listing Tampa as available YET is TVG. Sort of interesting, but I have to imagine Tampa will show up on TVG by next week.

Hi Steve,

It was not listed on the Youbet schedule earlier today but it is now. :jump:

Jim

rrbauer
12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
This sounds like everyone but Youbet (which is still "negotiating")

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/48416.htm?id=48416&source=rss

Pretty good card, BTW....hope they stay on the turf.