PDA

View Full Version : Pletcher's Wait A While Tests Positive at BC

Spectacular Sid
12-05-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/pletcher-charged-with-breeders-cup-procaine-positive/

Procaine? How's that used?

cj
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Wasn't there supposed to be some new, very stiff penalty, for trainers with a positive at the BC?

Robert Fischer
12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/pletcher-charged-with-breeders-cup-procaine-positive/

Procaine? How's that used?

Generally you use it as a pain killer on a racehorse, and then claim that the horse had a minor infection and was recieving procaine-antibiotics...

onefast99
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
The fact it is a class 3 violation requires a 30 day suspension and a re-distribution of the purse monies. Hopefully the owners didnt spend it all! While Todd is at palm meadows his Ca stock will run under someone else. Unless as CJ said the Breeders Cup may want to set a precedent here.

Mineshaft
12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Where did the horse finish?

cj
12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
3rd

joanied
12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
And so Pletcher horses are still able to race, and he may or may not get a fine and/or suspension... if the BC powers are serious about the no drugs policy they'd best make this an example of the no tolerance rule... will they go easy on Pletcher?
Seems to me if the no drugs rule is to really work, they must get pretty damned strict with what they do....and allowing a trainer's horses to race under someone else's name is not being very strict...a 30 day suspension for trainer and ALL horses under his care, at least in the state where the positive was found, should be the policy here.

Why Wait A While recieved the procaine is beside the point...point is, no damned drugs!!!

Imriledup
12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Do you all know how much money i would have won on that race had wait a while not been anywhere? I think Visit would have been 3rd and Vacare would have been 4th.

Endsweep24
12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Generally you use it as a pain killer on a racehorse, and then claim that the horse had a minor infection and was recieving procaine-antibiotics...

I am sure it is Penicillen. I don't know California's rules but in some other jurisdiction's your vet can turn in a slip saying your horse has been treated. Strangely Todd's not a dumb guy and had to no what the withdrawl time would be on treating Wait a while with Proc Penicillen (thats if he is telling the truth)

joanied
12-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Every trainer knows, if not by his own 'education', then by the vet telling him, or his own research what the time frame is for any drug administered to a horse...so that kinda makes you wonder what went on with Wait A While...and if that mare wasn't 'well' for the BC race...they should have scratched her...it was a shame (for me, anyway) to see her finish the way she did.
Maybe Pletcher thought he could slip under the radar with this one...guess we'll know after the schedueled hearing what the story is.

Cangamble
12-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Procaine (when available)

Pharmacology and use:
Procaine is an anesthetic agent indicated for production of local or regional anesthesia, particularly for oral surgery. Procaine (like cocaine) has the advantage of constricting blood vessels which reduces bleeding, unlike other local anesthetics like lidocaine. Procaine is an ester anesthetic. It is metabolized in the plasma by the enzyme pseudocholinesterase through hydrolysis into para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), which is then excreted by the kidneys into the urine. Used as a local anesthetic primarily in oral surgery

Mechanism Of Action:
Procaine acts mainly by inhibiting sodium influx through voltage gated sodium channels in the neuronal cell membrane of peripheral nerves. When the influx of sodium is interrupted, an action potential cannot arise and signal conduction is thus inhibited. The receptor site is thought to be located at the cytoplasmic (inner) portion of the sodium channel. Procaine has also been shown to bind or antagonize the function of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors as well as nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and the serotonin receptor-ion channel complex.
http://www.mongabay.com/health/medications/Procaine.html

stu
12-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Y'all,

I set the under/over date for the resolution of this alleged drug positive at Labor Day.

I take over as it takes some time to exhaust all of one's options as due process is afforded.

JustRalph
12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I bet he blames his wife.....................