PDA

View Full Version : Gas Price Poll......... Dec 4th 2008

JustRalph
12-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Just wondered what the latest prices are across the country.

This week in Ohio 1.55 a gallon Reg Unleaded

This week in Charlotte Area 1.73 Reg Unleaded

What about your area?

Some are predicting 20 dollars a barrel in the future........

wonatthewire1
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM
ya, merrill lynch (or should we say Bank of America now?) was predicting $25 by mid next year

$1.79 here yesterday at Lukoil (Russkies)

But passed $1.66 at a Sunoco station (this station is the lowest around here). The Exxon across the highway from them usually runs 3-5 cents higher (that is to p*ss Sec and hcap off)

bigmack
12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Here on Coronado Island everything is more expensive. While San Diego typically has some of the highest gas prices in the lower 48 I paid $1.67 today! 4-5 months ago it was over $5

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm getting killed out here in the NY suburbs....$2.09....although there are some places under $2...

melman
12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Just 15 miles outside of Philly I paid $1.72 per gal for regular unleaded.

But JR here is the REAL biggy. At the end of the last heating season in April my last bill for home heating oil was $4.45 per gal. A week ago my oil delivery man came and the price was $2.37 per gal. Quite a huge saving.

lsbets
12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
1.52 here - and even better, I changed electric providers and got one of my electric bills down from 1100 to 500

ArlJim78
12-04-2008, 08:01 PM
$1.79 to $1.89 here in Chicagoland

highnote
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Gas in lower Fairfield County, Connecticut is around $2.25 and falling. We have some of the highest gas taxes in the country.

Our heating oil company gave us an option to put a cap in our heating oil price per gallon. They would buy options for us for $500 and guarantee that our price would not go above $5.00 per gallon. I declined and figured I'd take my chances when I saw that oil had peaked in July. Worst case, I could go online and buy mini futures and do my own hedging if it looks like prices start to go up again.

I feel bad for the people who got scared and actually paid $500 to get a $5.00 per gallon cap. That's 500 bucks down the rat hole.

Today I worked with a guy who said he read in 10 years all new cars will be running on some kind of battery.

If true, that has to have the Saudis and Russians worried. Maybe we'll see $10 per barrel?

I suppose our electrical generation plants, agribusiness and other businesses that rely on petroleum based products will still generate demand for oil. But the days of gas guzzling automobiles may be coming to an end.

witchdoctor
12-04-2008, 09:01 PM
$1.48/gallon for regular unleaded. :ThmbUp:

BillW
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM

same here

wonatthewire1
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Just 15 miles outside of Philly I paid $1.72 per gal for regular unleaded.

But JR here is the REAL biggy. At the end of the last heating season in April my last bill for home heating oil was $4.45 per gal. A week ago my oil delivery man came and the price was $2.37 per gal. Quite a huge saving.

unfortunately, we got a heating oil delivery 2 months ago at $3.35/gallon

and I have a 550 gallon tank so they only come out 2x per year...

Steve 'StatMan'
12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Down to $1.83 across from me, without a carwash. I still have 3/8 of a tank left from when I bought at I think $2.88 back in October - I don't drive very often, and really had to cut back further this fall. Can't believe it was well over $4.00 just 2-3 months ago, and that the $2.88 felt like a bargain.

RichieP
12-05-2008, 12:42 AM

are you serious??

Regular unleaded $:2:.:2::1: last night in New Rochelle, N.Y.

delayjf
12-05-2008, 01:01 AM
1.69 to 1.85 in orange county CA. In the nicer neiborhoods in the LA area it goes for up to 2.30

ddog
12-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Gas in lower Fairfield County, Connecticut is around $2.25 and falling. We have some of the highest gas taxes in the country.

Our heating oil company gave us an option to put a cap in our heating oil price per gallon. They would buy options for us for $500 and guarantee that our price would not go above $5.00 per gallon. I declined and figured I'd take my chances when I saw that oil had peaked in July. Worst case, I could go online and buy mini futures and do my own hedging if it looks like prices start to go up again.

I feel bad for the people who got scared and actually paid $500 to get a $5.00 per gallon cap. That's 500 bucks down the rat hole.

Today I worked with a guy who said he read in 10 years all new cars will be running on some kind of battery.

If true, that has to have the Saudis and Russians worried. Maybe we'll see $10 per barrel?

I suppose our electrical generation plants, agribusiness and other businesses that rely on petroleum based products will still generate demand for oil. But the days of gas guzzling automobiles may be coming to an end.

I think it would take a 25-50 years for a switch over like that.
There's a LOT of vehices in the world.
I predict that if the economy bounces back in 3-4 years that people will still be buying gas hog vehicles. I don't doubt it at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if gas stays around here or drops a bit that gas hog sales don't crowd out gas saver sales.
Car guys make out on that deal, plenty of them around to unload, especially used ones people bailed out of.
hmmmmmmmm.

RichieP
12-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Our heating oil company gave us an option to put a cap in our heating oil price per gallon. They would buy options for us for $500 and guarantee that our price would not go above $5.00 per gallon.

Your oil co is ripping folks off John. Caps are $100.00 - $150.00 tops with customers who have been with the joint for a few years getting it without charge.

I feel for the folks who locked in a fixed price back in July/August out of fear the insane prices would go even higher. These folks are paying $4.60 now and for the whole winter.

Tom
12-05-2008, 07:54 AM
$1.89 Monday, but most places around here are still $2.09-2.19.
Thanks to my Senators for an outstanding job - the Bitch Hillary and UpChuck Schummer, the toad. Two bigger losers you would have to search far and long to find.

NYS SUCKS. Literally the BLIND leading the BLAND.

LottaKash
12-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Folks, I believe it (the sudden gas price lowering), is just a "Ruse", a "Sleight of Hand' or a "Misdirection" if you will, to give us a glimmer of hope on our way to the Imminent National Bankruptcy.....Meanwhile the Banksters and Carsters, and Industrialists are still quite busy "Pilfering" what is left of "Our Treasury" & "Our Economic Sanity"......We are being had, and they are just throwing us a "bone" to keep us off keel....

Just call me wary, :eek:

witchdoctor
12-05-2008, 10:04 AM
are you serious??

Regular unleaded $:2:.:2::1: last night in New Rochelle, N.Y.

Serious as a heart attack.

RaceBookJoe
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Wednesday a costco here in vegas i paid $1.97 for 91 octane. Filled up for under $30 and was happy about it. rbj

GaryG
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
$1.57 yesterday in Bristol

RaceBookJoe
12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Folks, I believe it (the sudden gas price lowering), is just a "Ruse", a "Sleight of Hand' or a "Misdirection" if you will, to give us a glimmer of hope on our way to the Imminent National Bankruptcy.....Meanwhile the Banksters and Carsters, and Industrialists are still quite busy "Pilfering" what is left of "Our Treasury" & "Our Economic Sanity"......We are being had, and they are just throwing us a "bone" to keep us off keel....

Just call me wary, :eek:

I was telling my wife the same thing about a week or 2 ago. Kind of like when we are told things are ok when they really arent. rbj

ddog
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
the price was ran up by wild speculation which i said at the time.
it was not real in terms of supply and demand on the ground.

that popped when it became obvious that the world was slowing and thus the market couldn't support any new (suckers)buyers to support the run up.

markets overshoot in both directions all the time. they just do, it's their nature.

this is not a planned grand conspiracy.

now there could be a lot of small fry conspirators, but they are not in cahoots. :)

if "they" were that smart , WE would never figure it out, goes without saying right?

as to being told things were ok, when they weren't, that's just garden variety
gvt in action, alwys has been , always will be, people don't like to bring bad news so they stay out of the gloom and doomer camp as long as possible.

trends reverse. book it.

highnote
12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Your oil co is ripping folks off John. Caps are $100.00 - $150.00 tops with customers who have been with the joint for a few years getting it without charge.

I feel for the folks who locked in a fixed price back in July/August out of fear the insane prices would go even higher. These folks are paying $4.60 now and for the whole winter.

Last year our oil company offered the cap program for free and we benefited from it. Our heating oil for the winter was much lower than the spot price.

This year, it seemed like a bad bet to give $500 to our heating oil company so that they could guarantee us that the cost of our heating oil would not go above $5 per gallon.

For once, my horseplaying skill came in handy. It allowed me to deduce that not locking in and betting on low heating oil prices had a greater payoff and lower risk than than paying a premium to lock in a fixed cost for heating oil that provided insurance against high heating oil costs.

I sat down and wrote up the probability and profit/loss scenarios for different oil price points by looking at next year's Heating Oil Futures contracts for various months.

Betting on low oil prices was a good bet. In fact, by not buying into the cap program, I saved $500. This is actually better than trading on futures contracts with my broker because any gains I would have made by shorting oil would be taxable at a capital gains rate.

Money saved by lowering costs is not taxable. Or as Ben Franklin said, "A penny saved is a penny earned" -- and the gain is not taxable. :ThmbUp:

RichieP
12-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Last year our oil company offered the cap program for free and we benefited from it. Our heating oil for the winter was much lower than the spot price.

This year, it seemed like a bad bet to give $500 to our heating oil company so that they could guarantee us that the cost of our heating oil would not go above $5 per gallon.

For once, my horseplaying skill came in handy. It allowed me to deduce that not locking in and betting on low heating oil prices had a greater payoff and lower risk than than paying a premium to lock in a fixed cost for heating oil that provided insurance against high heating oil costs.

I sat down and wrote up the probability and profit/loss scenarios for different oil price points by looking at next year's Heating Oil Futures contracts for various months.

Betting on low oil prices was a good bet. In fact, by not buying into the cap program, I saved $500. This is actually better than trading on futures contracts with my broker because any gains I would have made by shorting oil would be taxable at a capital gains rate.

Money saved by lowering costs is not taxable. Or as Ben Franklin said, "A penny saved is a penny earned" -- and the gain is not taxable. :ThmbUp:

Great instincts John :ThmbUp:
Those dudes went over the top man.

sally
12-05-2008, 05:33 PM
the price was ran up by wild speculation which i said at the time.
it was not real in terms of supply and demand on the ground.

those speculators should be taken out and shot....:mad:

PaceAdvantage
12-05-2008, 06:27 PM
those speculators should be taken out and shot....:mad:No they shouldn't. Nobody complains when the speculators send it in the direction it's currently going now....

Valuist
12-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Just wondered what the latest prices are across the country.

This week in Ohio 1.55 a gallon Reg Unleaded

This week in Charlotte Area 1.73 Reg Unleaded

What about your area?

Some are predicting 20 dollars a barrel in the future........

We'll see $100/barrel before we ever see $20.

PaceAdvantage
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
We'll see $100/barrel before we ever see $20.It's gone from 140+ to 40+ in less than six months...nobody knows what's going to happen with oil in the future.

chickenhead
12-07-2008, 03:38 PM
It's gone from 140+ to 40+ in less than six months...nobody knows what's going to happen with oil in the future.

I think it's a little like the dot com bubble. Everyone at the time thought the internet was going to change everything overnight, and the market sky rocketed and then tanked, but ultimately, the internet did end up changing things pretty fundamentally over the following years; it did increase productivity, it did rapidly increase globalization, and billions and billions have been made on the internet.

I think likewise the commodity bubble we saw was early, and overdone, but not wrong.

lilmegahertz
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
$1.34 in Bartlesville, OK.

boxcar
12-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Rejoice while it's still daylight. When night falls Darth Vader plans on raising the gasoline tax big time somewhere down the road once he feels the economy can bear it, according to what he told Tom Brokaw yesterday. The libs probably feel that $4. per gal is the tipping point at which Americans stay home more while enjoying it less. Of course... :rolleyes: the extra bucks will go toward R&D for alternative energy sources.

Just as an aside...things are apparently going so well for our thoroughly socialized cousins the Brits that some newspaper suggested for those whose experiences suggest otherwise that they consider partaking of the superb delicacy...pigeon over this holiday season. I kid you not. We're really living in exciting times, aren't we?

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
When night falls Darth Vader plans on raising the gasoline tax big time somewhere down the road once he feels the economy can bear it, according to what he told Tom Brokaw yesterday.Well, that's one way to ensure he only serves one term.

WaHoo
12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Tishomingo Okla $1.45

chickenhead
12-08-2008, 11:12 PM
$1.79 'round these parts, for the cheap stuff.

Dave Schwartz
12-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I saw $1.87 for regular today - we take middle grade. (Chrysler must be run by idiots.)

On a side note, I have a son who is in the car business in Alabama. He is a serice rep who just got rehired into his former job. He was hired in early Nov. at $22 an hour plus commission - last year it was about $70k gross. The dealership is part of a large company - Group 1 Automotive - who is struggling.

They announced on Friday that they were lowering the pay scale to $10 per hour and cutting the commission by 40%! In other words, his job just fell to about $25k per year! He quit on the spot.

Can you imagine what would happen at your house if the boss told you that you were going to get a 2/3 cut in pay?

Oh, did I mention it was retroactive to the first of the month?

Amazing what they can get away with in the car biz.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

BillW
12-09-2008, 01:28 AM
$1.35 at a few places around here today. ($1.39 at a place that went out of business 6 or 7 years ago)