PDA

View Full Version : boring today

lamboguy
12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
i have TVG on and am listening to bob bedicer and the wolf guy, it is putting me to sleep today. unfortunately they only have one boring track they are dealing with today aqueduct. how much can they talk about a maiden $16k with lousy horses in it?

wonder why there is lack of interest in horseracing. TVG tries their best, but they aren't working with the proper tools sometimes.

lamboguy
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
if any one follows MOUTAINEER racing, they have a duet that does a great job.

mark paterson and nancy michaelson can make a $5k non-winners of a race in the last 6 months sound like the kentucky derby. they analise every horse in the race, and give you their insider information that they have to give you.

the show has been going on for about 8 years now and i can guarantee they have improved the handle at that place, even though it must be all simulcast.

i see over $2 million a night on their racing and it is far from the product of other racetracks. congradulations to both of you for doing such a great job.

BombsAway Bob
12-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree about Mark & Nancy. Any horseplayer just starting this game could be well served watching the Mountaineer Simo feed for a month or two. No matter the quality of the race, SOMEBODY has to cross the wire first! Mark & Nancy breakdown a horses PP's, often race-by-race, to bring light to ordinary form.
I think TVG should incorporate more of the simo feeds from NYRA; the fact they're California-Based automatically excludes them from breaking info often given out between races by TLG, Eric,Jason, or Jan. I will never knock Mr.B., remember it takes two to make a conversation, & unless Bob is paired up with Gary Seibel, often works with hosts that are less than horse-savvy.

lamboguy
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
bob you have to agree with me that the races are pretty boring today. thank god for this board, even if i have to talk to myself, i get to spit out the way i feel.

on this board you can post horses, drugs or politics, all purpose deal!!

OTM Al
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
First wednesday in December. Just the way things are this time of year.

BombsAway Bob
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
bob you have to agree with me that the races are pretty boring today. thank god for this board, even if i have to talk to myself, i get to spit out the way i feel.

on this board you can post horses, drugs or politics, all purpose deal!!
Could be worse... Hollywood starts with Three Six-horse fields & finishes the Early Pick-4 with a 5-horse field! Betcha TVG's Chris K. winds up with a $48 ticket anyways!

Nmytwenties
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I like Mark and Nancy, they are the most thorough of any similar pre race show. I do think that Mark lives a little bit in the past relative to the quality of racing there at Mountaineer. Things were a bit different I guess a few years back when their purses were higher than they are now, but he really puts Mountaineer on a pedistal above other mid level tracks that in reality are as good or better as Mountaineer at present. He also goes on forever about how the track has to card the WV bred races, kinda surprised that the state doesn't tell him to tone it down. Everyone know that WV breds are lesser on the whole, there is no need to over do it on that issue.

But he is very funny most of the time and he really knows his stuff.

As for things being boring on Wednesdays, well perhaps this is another sign that "too many tracks" are not the problem. Maybe creative scheduling could remedy the problem. Can't believe they are still running on the turf there at Aquduct on December 3rd.

ldiatone
12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
hi
i like nancy, and i think mark picks on nancy. But nancy is so 'deadpan' sometimes. i think the guys from penn national better,

lamboguy
12-03-2008, 05:15 PM
mountaineer has the very best $5k claimers in the country today. it is actually better than what sulfolk downs used to be like in the late 60's. thats when a horse could win for a nickle at sulfolk and win in new york for 14k.

look at the $5k starters at mountain, they are tough as nails. now while presque isles is running and churhill isn't you get some real tough competion there. you get the assmussen's tom amoss, and bernie flint's of the world, along with margolis, and other trainers like crystal pickett from maryland show up for the alowance races.

they have the most consistant book in the country now, hardly any extra's in that book. almost every race got 10 horses in them. the only thing i don't like about their book is they right a condition going 5 1/2 furlongs then the next time the race comes up its now a 6 furlong race, samething for the long races, they alternate between a mile and a mile 70.

its no mistake why they do well, and you see on these boards that losts of people post their picks on the mountain everytime they run.

Nmytwenties
12-03-2008, 06:07 PM
interesting post lamboguy,

I would say that MNR 5k claimers at the open and NW 2 or 3 in a year or 6 months are top runners at that level compared to other tracks. But I would totally disagree on NW2L and NW1 and 2 in a year. Those are often dreadful races with the PP'S dominated by off the board performances.

The two toughest tracks I consistently tackle are MNR and PHA. PHA can be frustrating but most of the time my lossses their make sense, I think they are one of the most competitive tracks going right now. MNR on the other hand just blows my mind sometimes,especially on exotics.

I think they have chosen to sacrifice variety and quality in their race cards for quantity. This is to their credit with most bettors as most covet the large fields they champion. I find the constant barrage of 5k claimers to be mind numbing and even when they do write Allowance races they are far subpar compared to other circuits. The number of horses who go in there from other tracks and win at the 5k claiming levels (excluding the tough as nails open claiming ranks at MNR) would be evidence to me than MNR 5k claimers would have a hard time running at most other tracks. It seems like any shipper goes in their and competes well a majority of the time with the exception of shippers from Ohio. A couple horses from PNL won races on Momday night. But that is a good angle to bet on, shippers do well there as long as they are not coming in from Ohio. Their turf races during the summer are a smorgasboard for people looking for off the wall odds but they are extremly tough races to nail. I can count on one hand how many turf races I bet on there after two or three embarrassingmisses early on in the season there.

The reward is good when you do hit their usually and I enjoy the challenge of the place although it frustrates me that I don 't do consistently good there. I have to say I wish there was another track that ran Monday nights (my usual track day) because of my inconsistent performance at MNR. No doubt they are a favorite of many on this board and the ones who have mastered the place really know their business.

One question for you Mountain experts, why do they limit all fields to 10?? They run 12 in the WV Derby.

judd
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
its actually a pretty neat track with slots, many of you may remember when it
was waterford park :p

Nmytwenties
12-03-2008, 06:26 PM
It was Waterford Park before I was of legal betting age and I believe that was before the age of full card simulcasts. Mark and Nancy will talk about those days every once in a while and that is always interesting. They sure have come a long way from that period thanks to the slots,they were really running for peanuts back then from what I understand. I think the only thing that kept them from getting a large amount of top Kentucky and other top jockeys and trainers settling down there a few years back when their purse structure was even better than it is now is their location, from what I understand they are out in the middle of nowhere and alot of winding twisting turns in the highway leading to there. I guess the bigger outfits were more apt to stay with their familiar surroundings back then. Not to say they wouldn't ship in then as they do now to find easy spots to excel.

ezrabrooks
12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Does Mark post here? I think he does a good job going through the race. I enjoy it when some horse that he tosses wins by daylight...and will stay tuned just to hear him explain where he went wrong, but he usually just turns the page and goes on.

One of my favorite callers was the guy at the Mountain who retired 3-4 years ago...seemed to be a class guy.

Ez

Nmytwenties
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I would disagree that Mark doesn't admit when he blew a race. On occasion,I would say a bit more often than most tracks, results there make little sense and there isn't much to say. It would take magical powers to hit every single race there, but that can be said for every track to a varying degree.

I am not familiar with their former announcer but their current one is top of the line. As much as that track frustrates me sometimes, their track announcer is a treat to listen to. And I understand he also posts on the board here.

ezrabrooks
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I would disagree that Mark doesn't admit when he blew a race. On occasion,I would say a bit more often than most tracks, results there make little sense and there isn't much to say. It would take magical powers to hit every single race there, but that can be said for every track to a varying degree.

I am not familiar with their former announcer but their current one is top of the line. As much as that track frustrates me sometimes, their track announcer is a treat to listen to. And I understand he also posts on the board here.

No..I didn't mean that he intentionally moves on, and tries to cover up his selections. I have seen him just shake his head, with little comment, and turn the page of his Form. He is some times pretty sure about a horse's chance..and picking the whole card will make any handicapper look like an idiot on occasion. I like the guy, and his presentation.

Ez

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Does Mark post here?Yes, as mountainman.

Track Collector
12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, Waterford Park (Wat). I remember the days when every race on the entire card was for $ 1500 claimers and the purse was $ 1800, except the "feature" race, which was for a purse of $ 1900!