PDA

View Full Version : What's that book?

Alyblakester
12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I used to have a red covered book by a south Florida professor that was very mathematical. Does anyone have a clue as to the author's name? :confused:

GameTheory
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I used to have a red covered book by a south Florida professor that was very mathematical. Does anyone have a clue as to the author's name? :confused:
I'm guessing Mike Fiore, author of MIKE FIORE'S HOW TO BEAT THE HORSES.

HUSKER55
12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Wish I could help. I recall that there were two math professors from some north eastern university?? who did a statistical analysis of horse racing. But I will be blessed if I can remember their names.

I will try finding it out this week and get back to you if I can find them.

Dave Schwartz
12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Wasn't the Winning at the Track guy from South Florida?

Christopher?

KyRacer
12-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Might be "Racetrack Betting The Professor's Guide to Strategies" by Peter Asch and Richard E Quandt. Not sure about the south Florida part, but the book is red and has some mathematical formulas.

Dave Schwartz
12-03-2008, 12:21 AM
In softcover it is gray, but you are right - the hard back is red. I know because I just bought it in softback not realizing I already had it in hard back.

:bang:

Tom
12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Sullivan and Someone? Adams?

I think the red one was Fiore.

BIG49010
12-03-2008, 10:53 AM
MIKE FIORE'S was a Florida guy and had classes at the track many years ago, ask Karl he is a big fan.

Tom Barrister
12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
The large red-board (cover, nothing to do with redboarding as we commonly understand it) book is by Mike Fiore. The full title is: "How to beat the horses: Rate horses, make good bets, cash more tickets, mutuels perfectas, trifectas". It was published around 1977.

I haven't seen the book in at least 20 years. I vaguely remember two things about the book.

1) In stakes races involving young horses, the bettor was supposed to play the two or three longest shots in the race.

2) The concept of "good drops" in class.

thruncy
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
The large red-board (cover, nothing to do with redboarding as we commonly understand it) book is by Mike Fiore. The full title is: "How to beat the horses: Rate horses, make good bets, cash more tickets, mutuels perfectas, trifectas". It was published around 1977.

I haven't seen the book in at least 20 years. I vaguely remember two things about the book.

1) In stakes races involving young horses, the bettor was supposed to play the two or three longest shots in the race.

2) The concept of "good drops" in class. I remember just one word: "Backtrack." The book gave me a headache.

BIG49010
12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
HOW TO BEAT THE HORSES

Short history on the book, Mike Fiori was a retired high school math teacher when I met him in the 70's, he was teaching a class on handicapping at Miami University in the evenings that I attended. The only place he found to advertise it was the DRF, but they didn't like the original title, so he had to rip off the cover and have a new one printed, fortunately his son in New Jersey was in the printing business and recovered the book. I have a copy, and it does have a chapter about back tracking winners.

Garvin27
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
The work involved with the book and its basis for selection was/is excellent.
It is a 'text-study' of the game as well as a complete method. Although I did not post to the 'top 5 books' thread, Fiore's book was always on my list.

NoDayJob
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM
"Mike Fiore's How To Beat The Horses:" (C) 1977

Published by Lane & Young

LCCN: 77-72535

BeatTheChalk
12-04-2008, 01:44 AM
"Mike Fiore's How To Beat The Horses:" (C) 1977

Published by Lane & Young

LCCN: 77-72535

So ..to end the thread ...my question is this ..

Should I buy the Book ? :jump: :ThmbUp: :)

Tom Barrister
12-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Should I buy the Book ? :)

My answere is "yes", with the qualification that you shouldn't take everything he says as gospel. Almost every book will give you some idea that you might not have had, or at least a new perspective on something.

Fingal
12-04-2008, 11:25 AM
It was probaly the first book I bought as a newbie looking for the holy grail at the track. And as a newbie it gave me a headache too trying to remember all the formulas. Luckily in a few years I discovered there was no silver bullet, no magic formula & that close enough for government work is doing darn good.

strapper
12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I read Fiore's book several years ago. Too scientific for my artsy brain!