PDA

View Full Version : we are just making crap up to worry about

JustRalph
12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Tivo Guilt? DVR Guilt?

Are you guilty? Give me a break...................

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/02/tivo.guilt/index.html

What's weighing many folks down these days isn't too much turkey, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie, but too much "House," "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI."

More and more people are becoming turned off by their TiVos. Digital video recorders (DVRs) revolutionized television for many viewers, freeing them from endless VCR programming and buying and keeping track of tapes. But it turns out that very ease is providing users with more than they can watch -- and turning a joy into drudgery.

"You want to watch TV, and what do you have? You turn on your DVR and you have a homework assignment," says Brad Berens, chief content officer for iMedia Communications, who analyzes how media advances change people's behavior.

"Economists call this 'opportunity costs,' " explains Berens. "You're sitting there and you have to weigh, well, 'I have to watch this thing, because I promised myself when I told TiVo ... I want the whole season of that! Go get it! And go get things like it!' And so you've committed to this decision and it's a burden -- suddenly your relaxation has turned into more work."

Actress Amanda Peet ("Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," the forthcoming film "What Doesn't Kill You") can relate. She told CNN that her TiVo is filled with programs ranging from the Ken Burns' documentary "The War" to the Sunday morning news shows -- and she's struggling to delete any of it, though much remains unwatched.

"I do have weird OCD where I need to clean out my TiVo," she said. "Like we've had Ken Burns' 'The War' on there forever and we're not gonna watch it, like I'm not gonna watch it cause I'm too scared. Or we'll have back episodes of um, 'Meet The Press' -- I'm obsessed with my Sunday shows like 'Meet The Press' and 'Face The Nation.' ... They're like from before the election, I'm like 'I can't [delete them], I have to watch them' and [my husband says], 'It's already happened, you've already read ............

~more at the link~

cmoore
12-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I watch less tv because of my DVR...I don't watch live shows anymore. Commercials drive me crazy. When you cut out the commercials, your cutting out at least 20 minutes in an hour show if not more..I stopped channel surfing also. Plus when I stopped watching commercials. I don't have the urge to go out and buy shit I don't need. :D

sally
12-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't even own a TV anymore-- just my computer-- best thing ever did-- :)

cmoore
12-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't even own a TV anymore-- just my computer-- best thing ever did-- :)

WOW!!! How long has it been Sally???
If I had to give one up it would be my tv for sure. My girlfriend is obsessed in watching the news programs. I can't stand it. It drives me crazy.

sally
12-02-2008, 07:05 PM
It's been a few years now-- haven't missed it a bit--I get the news headlines on my homepage-- that's all I want of the news-- I'm a bit of a minimalist...

Steve 'StatMan'
12-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Well whaddya know. The John & Jane TiVos are doing to themselves on their own what serious race watchers and trip handicappers have experienced for years - having to keep up with watching all the races and keeping up with what they've chosen to follow.

Of course, some things will end up in syndication and they'll be able to see for years (maybe decades) in reruns - it isn't like they need to watch the shows within 7-14 days because there might be to be made on next week's espiode.

mountainman
12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Both cable and networks have lost all credibility by allowing political bias to creep into coverage of almost any event. But it sure makes the news fun to watch.

wonatthewire1
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
heck, I'm afraid to go to Toys 'R Us anymore, unless, of course I've got a micro Uzi with some extra clips

Jeff P
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Sometime in the early 90's the company I was working for in AZ hired a consulting firm from Houston, TX for a week to look over our shoulders and teach us jr manager types how to make more efficient use of our time while on the clock. One of the consultants, I think her name was Pam but memory fades - admitted everything her firm was trying to impart to us could be had from a self help book published back in the 60's. Over drinks that Fri she gave me the author, title, and her phone number ("Call me if you're ever in Houston, she said.") before flying out.

A few weeks later I found the book in the library. Thumbing through the pages I found a diagram that showed a pair of wire cutters being used to cut the electrical cord of a television set in half. The caption beneath imparted the following bit of wisdom from the author: "Americans watch on average 4 hrs of TV per day. This is the best possible thing you can do to your TV set. Do it. Do it now. Unplug and snip. You'll thank me later."

That was about 20 years ago. I can't remember the name of the author or the title. I never travelled to Houston either. But I was one of those typcial Americans watching 4+ hrs of TV a day. The diagram made an impression on me. And while I didn't physically cut the cord I did cut back to watching maybe an hour a week... freeing up time for life's other pursuits.

Looking back I honestly don't think I'd ever have been able to create a handicapping program remotely approaching JCapper - or taken it nearly as far as I have - had I not stumbled upon that one diagram and realized what I might be able to do with an extra four hours a day.

-jp

cmoore
12-02-2008, 08:33 PM
heck, I'm afraid to go to Toys 'R Us anymore, unless, of course I've got a micro Uzi with some extra clips

You just don't who's packin now a days...It could be the person sitting next you at church..Not that I go to church. But if I did, it could be..

wonatthewire1
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
You just don't who's packin now a days...It could be the person sitting next you at church..Not that I go to church. But if I did, it could be..

hey c - hope your getting some big winners - probably see you guys over at the selection thread on Thurs...

JustRalph
12-02-2008, 11:50 PM

Try this one............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtQhkZhd-E

more here...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEjP1BKlso

and if you are at all actually interested.........this guy goes a little more in depth................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJchaZNORsE

boxcar
12-03-2008, 12:26 AM
It's been a few years now-- haven't missed it a bit--I get the news headlines on my homepage-- that's all I want of the news-- I'm a bit of a minimalist...

You're a gal after me own heart, Sally. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I gave up the boob tube about a year ago, and don't miss it at all. Who needs it when you have the Web?

Boxcar