PDA

View Full Version : At least 17 killed in mexican horse racing dispute!!!

fouroneone
12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7759820.stm

At least 17 people were killed after a drunken row over a horse race between Mexican and Guatemalan drug traffickers spilled into violence, police say.

stu
12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
You don't have to go to Guatemala for this to happen.

This year in Albuquerque - there was a dispute over a match race south of town that resulted in the shooting death of a trainer's brother.

Regulated horse racing is safer than the unregulated version.

zerosky
12-02-2008, 05:38 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7759820.stm

At least 17 people were killed after a drunken row over a horse race between Mexican and Guatemalan drug traffickers spilled into violence, police say.

I think one of them got accused of redboarding before he opened up with the rocket launcher.:)

Robert Fischer
12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Drinking and drug gang massacres do no not mix :ThmbDown:

zoobird
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Derby Fever at its worst.

BillW
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Not to mention recreational drugs! :eek:

ALostTexan
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
You don't have to go to Guatemala for this to happen.

This year in Albuquerque - there was a dispute over a match race south of town that resulted in the shooting death of a trainer's brother.

The closer you get to the border the more it happens. There are stories that fly around Tucson of shootings at match races on both sides of the border around here.

I know a really, really good QH jockey that has basically given up in America and runs in match races all of the time. Making a ton of money, but the risk that you take is so damn high. If you have a bad ride on a horse at an official racetrack, you might lose a mount with a trainer, or even worse, get blasted on an internet message forum, but down there you could cost a guy $10,000 and.....

Interesting places to ride, although "unregulated" isn't quite the word I would use. There is alot of "regulation" methods to the match races, most have photo finishes, but of course I get your point...

Tom
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I think one of them got accused of redboarding before he opened up with the rocket launcher.:) :lol::lol::lol:

RichieP
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
The closer you get to the border the more it happens. There are stories that fly around Tucson of shootings at match races on both sides of the border around here.

Also went on at the "outlaw tracks" down in Okie country. Jim "The Hat" told me many a story of racing his Appy in these races.

Flying to the tracks in a small plane piloted by a dude half cocked
Drinking
Sabotage
Gun toting bettors :eek:

Wild stuff

Steve 'StatMan'
12-02-2008, 09:44 PM
This could be a new angle to cut down on drug traffickers. We send them a bunch of our older, fringe racehorses, and those guys can take out each other fighting over the match races they run with them! :cool:

Tom
12-03-2008, 07:37 AM
We could offer them Beulah!