PDA

View Full Version : Today's Pro Athletes - Out of Control?

cj's dad
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
With the recent self inflicted gunshot wound of Plexico Burress in a "club" @ 3 AM, are todays NFL/NBA players really that stupid and out of touch?

Dave Schwartz
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
You know, usually your posts are both intelligent and timely. This time you missed the timely part by about 20 years.

:bang:

cj's dad
12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
You know, usually your posts are both intelligent and timely. This time you missed the timely part by about 20 years.

:bang:

Maybe so, but I believe it is actually getting worse.

Marshall Bennett
12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Money / wealth will never cancel out stupidity . In fact , if they had a lot less they might value their lives more .

melman
12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I think Dave S has it about right only he did not go back far enough. :jump: Anyone remember the Yankee teams with Mickey Mantle and Billy Martin and the "antics" they were involved in?

I really think that part of the reason it seems like it's even worse is the advent of the 24 hour sports talk shows. These guys love to appear "hip" and report "gotcha" news. ESPN loves to trot out the line that "ESPN'S Chris Mortenson "confims" a report". Just on this Burress "story" it was "confirmed" that the other players with him were RB Ward, or LB Pierce, or maybe RB Bradshaw. :jump: At one time the idea of "journalism" was to get the facts correct, now it's just run it out there and see where the chips fall. Just as long as you have the story first.

rrbauer
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Michael Vick, a millionaire football player, allows gambling-motivated dog fights at a small farm that he owns in Virginia, denies all knowledge until participants and employees spill the beans. Goes to the slammer in shock that the "system" would do this to HIM.

Adam "Pacman" Jones, a millionaire football player, has to have a BODYGUARD? And, gets arrested (for the 7th or 8th time) after fighting with his bodyguard in a club. This is after a year+ suspension from the league for (you guessed it) getting in trouble with guns and fights outside a club(s).

Plaxo Burress, a milliionaire football player, takes a handgun to a club, and shoots himself while showing off. Dismisses the injury's effect on his team because he "wasn't going to play Sunday, anyway".

The common-thread is "I have money, ergo, I have power, ergo, the rules don't apply to me". Nothing new about this. It's just that these guys get more publicity because they are celebrity-athletes and everybody watches Sports Center!!

turfnsport
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
With the recent self inflicted gunshot wound of Plexico Burress in a "club" @ 3 AM, are todays NFL/NBA players really that stupid and out of touch?

We can always hope another dozen or so shoot themselves.

Valuist
12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
The fact is Burress is a good, but not great receiver. And he's not having a good season. Since week 2, he has not had 60 yards of receiving in a single game this year. The team is 3-0 without him and is scoring over 30 points per game when he doesn't play. He is a cancer and I'd love to see Coughlin get rid of him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5037/gamelog;_ylt=AklOS0HlwFh4FB6MgOu6gvf.uLYF

njcurveball
12-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Simple explanation

Mo Money, Mo Problems!

cj's dad
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
We can always hope another dozen or so shoot themselves.

If we're realy lucky, they'll aim a bit higher- like 2 to 3'

BTW- re: Mantle and Martin- that was kids stuff compared to this foolishness. Usually it was DWI's and bar fights. Never ever heard of guns being involved until the "thug" mentality became the fashion of the day.

njcurveball
12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Never ever heard of guns being involved until the "thug" mentality became the fashion of the day.

Ever hear of a guy named Ty Cobb?

cj's dad
12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Ever hear of a guy named Ty Cobb?

Yes- I am simply stating that it is much more prevalent today.
For every one you can name "back in the day" I'll name 5.

Dave Schwartz
12-01-2008, 11:36 PM
CJ's D,

I was just funnin' you. I agree with you totally. They are out of control. There is no such thing as a set of standards. Or perhaps a better way to say it is that very few professional athletes have high standards.

Dave

LottaKash
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Tho written thousands of years ago, it still rings true; "Money is the root of Evil"...:eek: ....And these guys have it in spades, and for what, because they can throw or a catch a ball good or jump on somebody ?.......haha...what a laugher......:jump:

turfnsport
12-02-2008, 01:25 AM
CJ's D,

I was just funnin' you. I agree with you totally. They are out of control. There is no such thing as a set of standards. Or perhaps a better way to say it is that very few professional athletes have high standards.

Dave

I actually think many professional athletes DO have high standards...You just don't hear about them...ESPN is too busy talking about guys like Buress. It gives their endless supply of mind numbing talking heads something to pontificate about.

What would all those jerk offs talk about if it was not for T.O., Pac Man, and Buress?

dav4463
12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
It's not just today's athletes. People are still the same as always.

Duane Thomas
Hollywood Henderson
Carl Garrett
Lance Rentzel
Joe Gilliam
Marvin Barnes
OJ Simpson
Art Schlister
Rafael Septien
Mercury Morris
Stanley Wilson
Big Daddy Lipscomb

and many more I'm sure.

ezrabrooks
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
It's not just today's athletes. People are still the same as always.

Duane Thomas
Hollywood Henderson
Carl Garrett
Lance Rentzel
Joe Gilliam
Marvin Barnes
OJ Simpson
Art Schlister
Rafael Septien
Mercury Morris
Stanley Wilson
Big Daddy Lipscomb

and many more I'm sure.

Duane Thomas? Outside of not having much to say, he was a pretty good citizen..

Ez

JustRalph
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
wow, I didn't know that stuff about Lance Rentzel

I used to love watching that guy across the middle for Dallas............... :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

cj's dad
12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I actually think many professional athletes DO have high standards...You just don't hear about them...ESPN is too busy talking about guys like Buress. It gives their endless supply of mind numbing talking heads something to pontificate about.

What would all those jerk offs talk about if it was not for T.O., Pac Man, and Buress?

How 'bout -
Tank Johnson
Ray Carruth
Maurice Clarett
Chris Henry
Ricky Williams
Michael Vick ...........................

cj
12-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Probably not a whole lot different than society in general. Most people are decent, a few are not, and the which ones make the news?

cj's dad
12-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Mayor Bloomberg held a news conf. today in which he stated that Plaxico B. should be prosecuted to the "fullest extent of the law" for ccw & shooting himself.

Isn't it ironic that criminals shoot and kill others and nary a word from his esteemed shortness about the "fullest extent...."

What a jerk off.

JustRalph
12-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Mayor Bloomberg held a news conf. today in which he stated that Plaxico B. should be prosecuted to the "fullest extent of the law" for ccw & shooting himself.

Isn't it ironic that criminals shoot and kill others and nary a word from his esteemed shortness about the "fullest extent...."

What a jerk off.

he is using the burress case to show his "anti gun" side. He has a "Mayor's against guns" group he chairs..........or something like that. Some Mayors of large cities have withdrawn from the group or passed on membership after finding out that the group is really against all guns and not just "illegal guns" so Bloomburg is just being Bloomburg.
He is for outlawing all guns.............

ezrabrooks
12-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Even in Texas, where concealed permits are many, it is a big no no to carry a gun into a bar. Discharging a gun in a bar should draw the most serious of punishments..

Ez

boomman
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
There are some low-lifes in pro sports for sure, but for some reason this thread made me think of one of the great guys in sports, and that was the late Derrick Thomas of the Kansas City Chiefs. Thomas was a role model in every sense of the word, but unfortunately his subsequent death was caused by injuries suffered in an auto accident in which for some strange reason he wasn't wearing a seat belt. I can assure you the citizens of Kansas City, (especially the kids) miss him very much!

Boomer

dav4463
12-03-2008, 02:42 AM
There are some low-lifes in pro sports for sure, but for some reason this thread made me think of one of the great guys in sports, and that was the late Derrick Thomas of the Kansas City Chiefs. Thomas was a role model in every sense of the word, but unfortunately his subsequent death was caused by injuries suffered in an auto accident in which for some strange reason he wasn't wearing a seat belt. I can assure you the citizens of Kansas City, (especially the kids) miss him very much!

Boomer

Joe Delaney was another great Chiefs role model who died while saving a kid from drowning even though he could not swim.

dav4463
12-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Duane Thomas? Outside of not having much to say, he was a pretty good citizen..

Ez
True.

boomman
12-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Joe Delaney was another great Chiefs role model who died while saving a kid from drowning even though he could not swim.

dav: Can't believe I left that out, thanks so much for the reminder, as Joe Delaney gave the ultimate sacrifice: His own life to save that of another! Many of the old Chiefs from the 60's were great as well. I remember when Mike Garrett came to my school when I was 10 years old. He was absolutely awesome to the kids and faculty, and gave money for a new playground...........

Boomer

ezrabrooks
12-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Sean Avery? Go to the head of the class..

Ez

melman
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Here in Philly the local pro sports players have had only one "bad apple" in Bret Myers who was drunk and hitting his wife in Boston.
That story received 24 hour coverage from the local all sports "hip" stations. Meanwhile such local players as the Phils, Brurrel, Rollins, and Moyer and the Eagels, McNabb, Westbrook and Dawkins who have given lots of cash and plenty of there time to help others get little or no coverage. If your kids turn out like Jamie Moyer or Brian Dawkins you have much to be thankful for.

dav4463
12-03-2008, 05:19 PM
dav: Can't believe I left that out, thanks so much for the reminder, as Joe Delaney gave the ultimate sacrifice: His own life to save that of another! Many of the old Chiefs from the 60's were great as well. I remember when Mike Garrett came to my school when I was 10 years old. He was absolutely awesome to the kids and faculty, and gave money for a new playground...........

Boomer

My two favorite players as a kid were Ed Podolak and Willie Lanier.

boomman
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
My two favorite players as a kid were Ed Podolak and Willie Lanier.

I was at the longest game ever played at the old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City, Mo on Christmas Day 1971. On that day, (even though the Chiefs eventually lost 27-24 to Miami in the 6th quarter of the sudden death overtime game) Ed Podolak had over 300 individual yards and it was truly a gargantuan effort. Willie Lanier, besides being one of the vintage great middle linebackers of that era, was another who was really community oriented.

Boomer

cj's dad
12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
That game, along with the Chargers/Dolphins playoff game and the game that elevated the NFL into national prominence, the 1958 Colts/Giants championship game are indelibly etched in my memory.

JustRalph
12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Another opine on Burress........... 2nd Amend. Issues

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122835270947177981.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

excerpt from the article:

Mr. Burress had previously had a handgun carry permit issued by Florida, for which he was required to pass a fingerprint-based background check. As a player for the Giants, he moved to Totowa, N.J., where he kept a Glock pistol. And last Friday night, he reportedly went to the Latin Quarter nightclub in midtown Manhattan carrying the loaded gun in his sweatpants. Because New York state permits to possess or carry handguns are not issued to nonresidents, Mr. Burress could not apply for a New York City permit.

At the nightclub, the handgun accidentally discharged, shooting Mr. Burress in the right thigh. He was not seriously injured, but he has been charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

It appears that he put the unholstered gun in the waistband of his sweatpants, and when it slipped, he grabbed for it, accidentally hitting the trigger. To make matters worse, according to press accounts, he was seen drinking and may have been consuming alcohol -- which all firearms safety training (including the class he would have been required to take for his Florida permit) absolutely forbids for people handling guns. And of course Mr. Burress's handgun should have been holstered to prevent unintentional movement of the trigger. Fortunately, his negligent discharge did not harm anyone else.

Mr. Burress's behavior was bad. However, Mr. Burress is not facing prosecution for carelessness, but simply for carrying a weapon. This is unjust and perhaps unconstitutional. The legal issues are a bit tangled, but here is the background:

This summer, the Supreme Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller that the District's handgun ban, and its ban on use of any firearm for self-defense in the home, violated the Second Amendment, which guarantees the individual right to bear arms. D.C. is a federal enclave, and the Court did not rule whether the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments. But as other cases reach it in the wake of Heller, it will.

The Heller decision did not say that requiring a license to carry a gun was unconstitutional. But in New York State, nonresidents cannot even apply for the licenses to possess or carry a handgun. Unlike most other states, New York refuses to honor carry permits issued by sister states. Most observers believe that the Supreme Court will eventually make state and local governments obey the Second Amendment. If it does, New York's discrimination against nonresidents will probably be ruled unconstitutional.

ezrabrooks
12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
The Burress arrest is not a second amendment issue.

Ez

rastajenk
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I was at the longest game ever played at the old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City, Mo on Christmas Day 1971. On that day, (even though the Chiefs eventually lost 27-24 to Miami in the 6th quarter of the sudden death overtime game) Ed Podolak had over 300 individual yards and it was truly a gargantuan effort. Willie Lanier, besides being one of the vintage great middle linebackers of that era, was another who was really community oriented.BoomerI think there's a Donovan McNabb comment to be found somewhere in there; I just can't spin it out. :D

boomman
12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I think there's a Donovan McNabb comment to be found somewhere in there; I just can't spin it out. :D

Actually NO there isn't but thanks for looking!:lol:

Boomer

ddog
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I was at the longest game ever played at the old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City, Mo on Christmas Day 1971. On that day, (even though the Chiefs eventually lost 27-24 to Miami in the 6th quarter of the sudden death overtime game) Ed Podolak had over 300 individual yards and it was truly a gargantuan effort. Willie Lanier, besides being one of the vintage great middle linebackers of that era, was another who was really community oriented.

Boomer

Bobby Bell would make a lot of inside guys look good, taking nothing away from Honey Bear lanier.
Stenurud was a nice guy too , but he sure killed us that day.
Some have sworn off football since that day!
:(

There were a ton of good guys community wise on that team.

Pace Cap'n
12-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I remember watching that Chiefs game on TV. Ed Podolak put in the single greatest effort I've ever seen on a football field. Running back, blocking back, kick returner, punt returner, and receiver. All out on every play. For six freaking quarters.

cj's dad
12-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Very similar to the effort put in by the Chargers Kellen Winslow in the playoff game w/ Miami.

I remember watching that Chiefs game on TV. Ed Podolak put in the single greatest effort I've ever seen on a football field. Running back, blocking back, kick returner, punt returner, and receiver. All out on every play. For six freaking quarters.

boomman
12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
As much as it hurt me when the Chiefs lost that day (not to mention the fact I damn near froze to death, lol) I KNEW I was watching history in the making with the play of Podolak that day. In fact, EVERY player on both the Dolphins and the Chiefs absolutely left their guts on the field that day for 2 Hall of Fame Coaches in Don Shula and Hank Stram. I remember the radio announcer being hoarse (I believe it was Ray Scott) and I don't think he or the "color" guy Bill Grigsby had much left at the end either..............

Boomer

cj's dad
12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Another opine on Burress........... 2nd Amend. Issues
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122835270947177981.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

The longer this debacle continues, the more side issues that arise;

1- the Dr. who treated Plexico has been suspended from the hospital for not reporting the gunshot wound as required by law and may be charged by the police.

2- Antonio Pierce has had his vehicle siezed and he also may and probably will be charged with aiding and abeting, plus transporting a handgun across state lines.

3- the "club" where the incident occured has a metal detector at the entrance which Plexico was allowed to sidestep and therefore avoid detection. If the doorman knew that he had a weapon, didn't he then jeopardize the other club patrons?

Pace Cap'n
12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Very similar to the effort put in by the Chargers Kellen Winslow in the playoff game w/ Miami.

That has to rank right up there, and remember Chuck Bednarik, playing every down, back in the day?

cj's dad
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
My God man, how old do you think I am ??That has to rank right up there, and remember Chuck Bednarik, playing every down, back in the day?

dav4463
12-05-2008, 01:13 AM
That game, along with the Chargers/Dolphins playoff game and the game that elevated the NFL into national prominence, the 1958 Colts/Giants championship game are indelibly etched in my memory.

I would add SuperBowl III to that list as well.

I remember watching the Chiefs/Dolphins game even though I was just a little kid. I was wearing my Chiefs helmet and throwing my football to my Dad in the living room! I was so sad when the Chiefs lost!

ddog
12-05-2008, 01:17 AM
The longer this debacle continues, the more side issues that arise;

1- the Dr. who treated Plexico has been suspended from the hospital for not reporting the gunshot wound as required by law and may be charged by the police.

2- Antonio Pierce has had his vehicle siezed and he also may and probably will be charged with aiding and abeting, plus transporting a handgun across state lines.

3- the "club" where the incident occured has a metal detector at the entrance which Plexico was allowed to sidestep and therefore avoid detection. If the doorman knew that he had a weapon, didn't he then jeopardize the other club patrons?

nbr 3 is the way clubs work. these guys and the crew are "trophy customers".
They draw people to the club, besides throwing lots of bucks around,
He could be carrying an uzi on each hip along with a bazooka in each pocket, he's still getting in.

cj's dad
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=dav4463]I would add SuperBowl III to that list as well. QUOTE]

That game is not on any of my lists:bang:

dav4463
12-07-2008, 03:42 AM
[QUOTE=dav4463]I would add SuperBowl III to that list as well. QUOTE]

That game is not on any of my lists:bang:

oops! sorry!

Valuist
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
How about the biggest baby of all, TO, whining and complaining to the offensive coordinator that Tony Romo and Jason Witten have some big plan to conspire to limit the number of passes thrown to TO. This guy is the biggest narcissist in the NFL.

GaryG
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
How about the biggest baby of all, TO, whining and complaining to the offensive coordinator that Tony Romo and Jason Witten have some big plan to conspire to limit the number of passes thrown to TO. This guy is the biggest narcissist in the NFL.This is where the Cowboys could use Parcells. This weasel that they have wil say "sure, let's just get TO the ball". BTW Jason Witten is one of my neighbors and his brother coaches the local HS team.

Valuist
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
This is where the Cowboys could use Parcells. This weasel that they have wil say "sure, let's just get TO the ball". BTW Jason Witten is one of my neighbors and his brother coaches the local HS team.

Its playoff time in Fantasy football. There's some decent $$ at stake and I'm gonna be pissed if Witten doesn't get at least 10 targets this weekend. My fear is that to appease the baby, Witten will get less passes thrown his way. God forbid, don't upset the mighty Terrell.

cj's dad
10-10-2013, 03:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000259850/article/aldon-smith-charged-with-assault-weapon-possession

ronsmac
10-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I wasn't around in rhe 50s and early 60s but they say Mickey Mantle and Billy Martin we're totally out of control but the press and police covered up many of their transgressions. they would be toast if they were playing today.

cj's dad
10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I wasn't around in rhe 50s and early 60s but they say Mickey Mantle and Billy Martin we're totally out of control but the press and police covered up many of their transgressions. they would be toast if they were playing today.

From post #10 on 12/1/08:

BTW- re: Mantle and Martin- that was kids stuff compared to this foolishness. Usually it was DWI's and bar fights. Never ever heard of guns being involved until the "thug" mentality became the fashion of the day.

melman
10-10-2013, 08:00 PM
"Never ever heard" that's just the point cj's dad. You did not hear about the crap that Mantle and Martin pulled. The great "Mick" who was mad at Yankee mangement and when forced to sign autograph's for kids would sign with the f bomb. Coverage today concentrate's on the "bad" guys. They go on and on. Coverage of good guys last for about less than a day.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mike-trouts-father-figures-most-in-his-baseball-development?ymd=20131010&content_id=62756882&vkey=news_mlb http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131009&content_id=62760010&notebook_id=62758730&vkey=notebook_pit&c_id=pit

Robert Goren
10-10-2013, 08:22 PM
"Never ever heard" that's just the point cj's dad. You did not hear about the crap that Mantle and Martin pulled. The great "Mick" who was mad at Yankee mangement and when forced to sign autograph's for kids would sign with the f bomb. Coverage today concentrate's on the "bad" guys. They go on and on. Coverage of good guys last for about less than a day.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mike-trouts-father-figures-most-in-his-baseball-development?ymd=20131010&content_id=62756882&vkey=news_mlb http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131009&content_id=62760010&notebook_id=62758730&vkey=notebook_pit&c_id=pit Doesn't compare with what the NE tight end did.

precocity
10-10-2013, 08:29 PM
mike tyson blowing 350 million?

melman
10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Doesn't compare with what the NE tight end did.
Of course I agree with that. However your talking one guy. Overall people are still "some good" and some bad. That includes pro sports people. Coverage today is non-stop 24/7 when I was a kid it was almost all just newspapers. The beat writers then would write about what happened on the field, Today it's a lot more of the negative stuff.