PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Wanderin Boy

FantasticDan
11-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Was very saddened to read this:

Wanderin Boy, a 7-year-old Seeking the Gold gelding who had a record of 9-6-3 from 24 career starts and earnings in excess of $1.2 million entering the Cigar MIle, fractured the sesamoids in his left-front leg and was euthanized. The horse, owned by Stone Farm and trained by Nick Zito, was pulled up by jockey John Velazquez as the field turned for home.

..all the moreso after I read his incredible story courtesy of Steve Haskin a few weeks ago:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2008/10/01/wanderin-wonder.aspx

:(

strapper
11-29-2008, 06:52 PM
More remarkable horse after reading the story....very tragic end to a courageous animal, he deserved better.

joanied
11-29-2008, 07:33 PM
More remarkable horse after reading the story....very tragic end to a courageous animal, he deserved better.

I just found out this horrible news at the thread for the Cigar Mile...I saw him pull up in the replay, but did not know until now that this wonderful, courageous horse is gone...
I feel so sad for everyone connected to Wanderin' Boy.
:( :( :(

joanied
11-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I just found out this horrible news at the thread for the Cigar Mile...I saw him pull up in the replay, but did not know until now that this wonderful, courageous horse is gone...
I feel so sad for everyone connected to Wanderin' Boy.
:( :( :(

PS...just had to come back and say one more thing...with all the broken this & that Wanderin' Boy suffered with, regardless of how well he came back from each injury...does anyone else besides me think they should have retired him before this happened?
:( :( :( again

nijinski
11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
PS...just had to come back and say one more thing...with all the broken this & that Wanderin' Boy suffered with, regardless of how well he came back from each injury...does anyone else besides me think they should have retired him before this happened?
Yes
In particular I worry about a horse like him cutting back in distance and having to turn on the speed with his history and age, very sad, but too
late , RIP Wanderin Boy, you had so much heart.

jognlope
11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Rip Wanderin Boy. You ran like a cheetah and had a big heart.

JustRalph
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
two break downs today?

The guys on TVG said that Springside pulled up "badly" after winning the 6th

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/48244/springside-injured-in-demoiselle-romp

Driver8
11-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Springside is being sent to New Bolton tomorrow per DRF.com. Hopefully, her fate will be better than Wanderin' Boy- may he rest in peace after his long, successful, but troubled career.

WinterTriangle
11-30-2008, 02:28 AM
November's been a tough month, with SHAKIS being euthanized, too.

Just Ralph---more than 2 breakdowns, I think. Mike Mitchell's Carrie with a C won at Hollywood today (R8), pulled up then vanned off and never appeared in the winners circle. :confused:

I wish there was a site where we could find out what happens to horses that are vanned off....sometimes you don't hear anything at all.

jognlope
11-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Terrible thing as it was to be his final start.

joanied
11-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Just Ralph---more than 2 breakdowns, I think. Mike Mitchell's Carrie with a C won at Hollywood today (R8), pulled up then vanned off and never appeared in the winners circle. :confused:

I wish there was a site where we could find out what happens to horses that are vanned off....sometimes you don't hear anything at all.

a breakdown on the synthetic? How many break downs on the synthetic do we have now? I am curious. This sucks.

joanied
11-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Terrible thing as it was to be his final start.

I'm sure Zito is beside himself with grief and guilt...now knowing the history of Wanderin' Boy (as I already mentioned)... they should not have run him again...what were they thinking?
Geeze, just breaks my heart.

Wanderin' Boy :( RIP

JustRalph
11-30-2008, 10:58 AM

I put them in stable mail. I had one I bet early this year, PVal on board at Hollywood or SA and she blazed a fast race, one click off the track record and couldn't make it back to the winners circle "home alona" she was off all year and just came back the other day at Golden Gate. She ran last. she had posted some very nice works prior to the race though.

I am not so sure Carrie with Ac broke down, maybe just exhaustion? She looked winded to me........but I don't know a damn thing about horses. :bang:

jognlope
11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Me, too, Joanied, and Zito is probably not feeling too good that's for sure.

NY BRED
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
It is incredible to realize how dumb trainers and owners can be.

Why would you leave and press a speedball like Monterey
Jazz after watching the prior race with Old Fashioned

To boot, the article says it all about Mr Hancock who I now can only
refer to as Mr Jerkoff(pardon the pun) after reading the medical history
of this brave hearted horse.

I guess 1,214,000 means meand zippo when you own Stone Farm.:mad:

God bless this horse who should have been retired many years ago.

Stevie Belmont
11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
This is a horse that has grown on me over the years. This guy was riddled with all kinds of physical ailments. They gave him his time, and he came back ready like a warrior. Hancock always liked this horse a lot. I still think they put him spots, that at times were a bit ambitious.

Sad news. Very...

miesque
11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I am not so sure Carrie with Ac broke down, maybe just exhaustion? She looked winded to me........but I don't know a damn thing about horses. :bang:

I was watching that race and how she pulled up and that was not a break down and even on TVG, Frank Lyons commented something to the effect of "Just so you all know this is not at all life threatening." That certainly doesn't mean that the filly was 100% after she pulled up and its always better to err on the side of caution because sometimes more minor issues can become big issues. It may well be exhaustion but there may also have been a pre-existing condition the jockey was aware of and hence pulled this horse up right after the wire or the horse didnt feel right in the final strides of the race and hence the reason for the jockeys actions. It wasn't like in Wanderin Boy's case where as soon as you saw him trying to pull up that his prospects were pretty dire and he was most likely a goner. Not every time a horse is pulled up after the wire and put on a van is a break down and an awful lot of horse that get vanned off the track return to race. There are a myriad of possibilities non-life threatening possibilities from exhaustion to any one of numerous possible career ending injuries which aren't a matter of life or death.

joanied
11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Me, too, Joanied, and Zito is probably not feeling too good that's for sure.

he should be feeling bad...I love Zito...he wasn't even training yet when I knew him way back when...I admire him and respect him...why he ran WB again is beyond me...but Zito will be second guessing himself now for some time...no doubt WB would have made someone a nice riding horse or something...anything....but not this...what a waste of a wonderful horse...I'm sorry, it just really gets me upset.
:( :mad:

Tom Barrister
11-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm sure Zito is beside himself with grief and guilt...now knowing the history of Wanderin' Boy (as I already mentioned)... they should not have run him again...what were they thinking?
Geeze, just breaks my heart.

Wanderin' Boy :( RIP

It's all about the flipping money, just like always. They wanted to squeeze one more start out of the animal before retiring him. If he'd done well and come back sound, you can bet they'd have entertained racing him again.

The connections being sorry about it now won't do the horse a danged bit of good. They went to the well (at least) one too many times, and now one hard-working animal won't enjoy the luxury of retirement because of their greed.

joanied
11-30-2008, 03:02 PM
It's all about the flipping money, just like always. They wanted to squeeze one more start out of the animal before retiring him. If he'd done well and come back sound, you can bet they'd have entertained racing him again.

The connections being sorry about it now won't do the horse a danged bit of good. They went to the well (at least) one too many times, and now one hard-working animal won't enjoy the luxury of retirement because of their greed.

I could not agree :ThmbUp: more. And I am really surprised at Zito...what was he thinking? I don't give a crap how many times WB came out of a race in great shape...knowing his history of injuries, and after all he did do for them...enough should have been enough.
A foal starts off his life with broken bones and then continues to break bones...how in hell can anyone think he's going to be OK to race and race and race:bang: ...oh, and race some more:ThmbDown:

the little guy
11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Where were you geniuses after the Woodward and Jockey Club, where Wanderin Boy ran terrific races, with this kind of disgraceful commentary?

What happened yesterday was very sad and unfortunate....but it is an unfortunate part of the game. Claiming the connections were greedy, and wrong for running the horse, in light of the results, is pathetic. But, maybe I am wrong, and I missed your pre-race comments.

Saying " I love Nick Zito " as a precursor doesn't justify this kind of morbid redboarding.

classhandicapper
11-30-2008, 05:02 PM
It's always sad when we lose a horse, but this one is especially sad because he had a very nice career despite all the setbacks and this was his last race. He deserved a happier ending. :(

Marshall Bennett
11-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Where were you geniuses after the Woodward and Jockey Club, where Wanderin Boy ran terrific races, with this kind of disgraceful commentary?

What happened yesterday was very sad and unfortunate....but it is an unfortunate part of the game. Claiming the connections were greedy, and wrong for running the horse, in light of the results, is pathetic.
You're absolutely right . Popular horses don't go quietly though , particularly those that give their lives on the track . Whether its thru grief or whatever , a human connection always seems to take a fall as well .

CryingForTheHorses
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM

What happened yesterday was very sad and unfortunate....but it is an unfortunate part of the game. Claiming the connections were greedy, and wrong for running the horse, in light of the results, is pathetic. But, maybe I am wrong, and I missed your pre-race comments.

Saying " I love Nick Zito " as a precursor doesn't justify this kind of morbid redboarding.

You are wrong!!...With this guys history and the bankroll that he made,He should have been retired.Granted he may have been sound when he went to post,The stress of the race did him in. Yes the owners are greedy as that guy has more money then god. Only thing that this race was good for was to give the owner bragging rights for his inflated ego.Nothing worse in this game for a owner or trainer is to lose his common sense.

the little guy
11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
You are wrong!!...With this guys history and the bankroll that he made,He should have been retired.Granted he may have been sound when he went to post,The stress of the race did him in. Yes the owners are greedy as that guy has more money then god. Only thing that this race was good for was to give the owner bragging rights for his inflated ego.Nothing worse in this game for a owner or trainer is to lose his common sense.

Sorry, but the idea of you telling either Arthur Hancock or Nick Zito that you understand better than them is so absurd that it's hard not to laugh out loud. But hey, you'll have a chance to see Nick soon, so be sure and tell him your thoughts.

The race was a Grade 1....and you think he was in it for bragging rights?

Marshall Bennett
11-30-2008, 05:59 PM
You said yourself he was sound when he went to post . I guarantee ya had he been scratched and then retired , people would be pissed claiming this horse was " good for the game " and should have run . After all , Funny Cide was good for the game and hung around . Lucky for his connections he left safe and sound , otherwise you'd be saying they killed him too .

CryingForTheHorses
11-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry, but the idea of you telling either Arthur Hancock or Nick Zito that you understand better than them is so absurd that it's hard not to laugh out loud. But hey, you'll have a chance to see Nick soon, so be sure and tell him your thoughts.

The race was a Grade 1....and you think he was in it for bragging rights?

Aww Little guy,You think you are funny belittling a small guy,Like I said,Dont care if it was a 5k claimer...He doesnt need the money,All he wanted was the money..AND bragging rights..

the little guy
11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Aww Little guy,You think you are funny belittling a small guy,Like I said,Dont care if it was a 5k claimer...He doesnt need the money,All he wanted was the money..AND bragging rights..

Don't pull that crap with me. What you said was as wrong as it was foolish and you should know better.

It is you that is taking a disgracefully cheap shot at someone from the safety of your computer. Don't hide behind the " I'm a small guy " defense....it doesn't play.

CryingForTheHorses
11-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't pull that crap with me. What you said was as wrong as it was foolish and you should know better.

It is you that is taking a disgracefully cheap shot at someone from the safety of your computer. Don't hide behind the " I'm a small guy " defense....it doesn't play.

Crap??..Hiding behind my computer..You really dont know me very well to say that..Id tell it to their face also. As for a cheap shot...I dont think so..Its the truth!!

the little guy
11-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Crap??..Hiding behind my computer..You really dont know me very well to say that..Id tell it to their face also. As for a cheap shot...I dont think so..Its the truth!!

I'm sure I'll find out when you decide to air these views face to face....and will let the board know that you aren't the small man you have claimed to be.

By the way, did your ex-boss Frank Passero ever have a horse not finish a race? I mean, I realize he wasn't in the game for greedy purposes, unlike Nick Zito and Arthur Hancock, so I'm sure all his horses went out sound and returned the same way.

JustRalph
11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
new rule. next time a high profile horse breaks down................ 24 hours before anybody can post about it................?

SaratogaSteve
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Here we go again w/ the handwringing. Where were all of you during his entire campaign? By your rule, he never should have made it to the track. Why haven't you assailed the owner or Zito throughout? It's really to pick folks apart after the fact. LG is right, this is redboarding, and of the most disgusting kind.

Marshall Bennett
11-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Had Big Brown suffered a simular fate in the Belmont , Dutrow would have been crucified . There's no doubt in my mind .

nijinski
11-30-2008, 10:27 PM
It's human nature . A horse loses his life and fans get upset and we rant
and complain because it breaks our hearts,
But in the end with a horses like this it's a gamble, as with many other horses.

Back when Conquistador Cielo was syndicated ,he ran his last race with a bad
ankle ,it had been publicy been mentioned by Woody that running him was a
risk. There are many before and after him that have run at risk ,but most
were luckier.

As for WB, technically speaking he was not unsound, perhaps just somewhat
vulnerable.I doubt that his connections expected this and I agree that they
must feel badly, at first I was angry and yes I see why others are , but as
as I love this sport and many of the people associated with it ,I realize this
is the part I have to accept.

BTW The story of CC and Woody Stephens is in the Sports Illustrated Vault.

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2008, 04:13 AM

Saying " I love Nick Zito " as a precursor doesn't justify this kind of morbid redboarding.I agree 100%

I've posted this before, and I'll post it again, nothing riles me up more than people redboarding break downs.

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Somebody else posted in another thread that this was the first time Wanderin Boy raced without mud caulks? Is this true?

Slewis, where are you?

NY BRED
12-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey, if there were facts on prior disabilites and injuries to horses,
the minor tracks would be out of business and major circuits
would probably be impacted by loss of fans or animal rights
groups.

Fact is this horse sustained a fractured sesamoid as a baby,
and a fractured cannon bone in EACH leg during the
past seven years.

If this was a cheap claimer, he would have ended up running
for 3k at some crap track or worse.

Yet, this horse continued to win races depsite these injuires
much to the amazement of his owner who banked $1,200,000
because of this thoroughbred.

The issue is when do you stop on a horse and do
right for a horse who has placed his life on the
line.If this sounds dramatic, so be it.

The sick part about this story, is Television, Press ,and Racing Commission
won't investigate this matter and it will disappear as an unfortunate
incident and labled as a risk which is part of the game.

Bobzilla
12-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Somebody else posted in another thread that this was the first time Wanderin Boy raced without mud caulks? Is this true?

Slewis, where are you?

I was wondering the same thing.

Slewis has mentioned in the past some notable trainers in New York were not comfortable with the recent mandates imposed on them to cease the use of certain types of shoes. With that in mind I was curious if this could have been a factor. Slewis has also stated that the biggest contributing factor to injuries to the equine athlete are "hard tracks". Considering the fact this past Saturday had important graded stakes races I was curious if people who do their own figures such as John or CJ had noticed a track that might have been faster than a typical November day at Aqueduct. I think most of us have noticed this occur often times in the past on big days. I hope this isn't the case as New York's track crew have been doing an admirable job for much of this year in maintaining fair and, most importantly, safe tracks. It would be interesting to see if Slewis has any thoughts over this sad topic and whether or not a change in shoeing might have been a contibuting factor.

the little guy
12-01-2008, 09:25 AM
If anything, Saturday's track at Aqueduct was on the slow side. The final time for the Cigar Mile was 1:35.

ryesteve
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
new rule. next time a high profile horse breaks down................ 24 hours before anybody can post about it................?Better rule: they have to post about it 24 hours before it happens, since so many people always seem to see it comin'...

jognlope
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Better not read Crist's article, will make you sadder and curse Zito.

Ernie Dahlman
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
PaceAdvantage Administror,

As far back as my records show, Wanderkin Boy always wore caulks while racing in NY. Magna and Churchill have been negligent in reporting shoes at their racetracks so my best guess is that he wore them at their tracks also. He is at least the 3rd horse who was mandated to take off caulks to be put down since the new rules were instituted.

The NYRA in their August 14, 2008 press release announcing the ban of caulks called them "traction devices". I am in total agreement with this description but I don't agree that giving horses improved traction is a negative thing.

In my opinion the ban on caulks has nothing to do with the safety of the horses and jockeys but has to do with the increasing number of horses winning the biggest dirt races wearing caulks. Four of the last six Belmonts were won by caulked horses and the family that controls racing in the USA has obviously noticed.

Grits
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
To boot, the article says it all about Mr Hancock who I now can only
refer to as Mr Jerkoff(pardon the pun) after reading the medical history
of this brave hearted horse.

Hancock really deserves your assessment, you're really sharp here. You and others.

Its a real Jerkoff who travels overseas to bring his Derby winner back home. Living the rest of his life on his farm--turned out each day with his own pasture; pensioned, groomed, fed and stabled 365 days a year until his death. Hancock was always happy, content to stand at his fence and show him off to anyone who visited the farm. Jerkoff, that he is.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/40123.htm?id=40123 (http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/40123.htm?id=40123)

This entire thread needs to be locked, the ignorance, the name calling above, the knee jerk, after the fact remarks, void of acknowledgement of his racing record, makes one's stomach turn.

What have a one of you done lately that might qualify you for the right to speak of this trainer and owner in this manner? Maybe you woke up this morning with deep concern in your hearts for this animal, each of you. But more than likely, no. Your concern not so great as your desire to blame, ignore, and shoot your mouth off.

Arthur Hancock and his family have done more for this sport than most, here, will realize in a lifetime. Nick Zito and his wife, the same.

Too, I doubt, seriously, Hancock has more money than God. That distinction, most assuredly, can go to the thieves on Wall Street.

Instead of tearing these folks down, why not let go of it?

Think about what this horse achieved.

Think about how far he rose above obstacles, and injuries.

Think about his heart and his will to compete from the moment the gate flew open, all the way to the wire.

Let him go with these good thoughts. And stop tearing down his trainer and owner; let them know he was respected for his career on the track.

He wasn't your horse. He was their's.

Grits
12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
And Slewis has noted this at length here.

Strange, as they say, power corrupts, absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

As far back as my records show, Wanderkin Boy always wore caulks while racing in NY. Magna and Churchill have been negligent in reporting shoes at their racetracks so my best guess is that he wore them at their tracks also. He is at least the 3rd horse who was mandated to take off caulks to be put down since the new rules were instituted.

The NYRA in their August 14, 2008 press release announcing the ban of caulks called them "traction devices". I am in total agreement with this description but I don't agree that giving horses improved traction is a negative thing.

In my opinion the ban on caulks has nothing to do with the safety of the horses and jockeys but has to do with the increasing number of horses winning the biggest dirt races wearing caulks. Four of the last six Belmonts were won by caulked horses and the family that controls racing in the USA has obviously noticed.

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Nick Zito and his wife, the same.It's unreal that someone would actually place blame with someone like Zito...

Zito (along with his wife) has been one of the most vocal "big name" trainers in defense of the racehorse's well being. To actually think he put Wanderin Boy on the track not thinking he was 100% ready to go is wild to say the least.

BTW, I won't lock or edit this thread because I want to see where various people stand on this issue. Some of the comments have been quite revealing.

BombsAway Bob
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
This thread is a textbook case of:
"anger & frustration making people say things perhaps they normally wouldn't"
Unfortunately, I saw at least five horses break down this weekend alone.
Are we as fans supposed to look at each one & make judgements as to whether or not they were sound and should or should not have been running?
That is what the state vet is paid to do at every track.
I'm just thankful Saturday's Aqueduct races weren't on ESPN or a major Broadcast Network...PETA would be barnstorming tracks all over again!

DeanT
12-01-2008, 01:34 PM
It is becoming fairly clear that our game needs some sort of fix for this. This is heartbreaking.

toetoe
12-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Please set me straight if I am wrong, but didn't Frank Passero get caught giving, um, Spanish Fly to some of his distaff charges ? This was during his record winning streak. If so, that is really objectionable.

For the record, tlg prefaced his response with "Sorry, but ..." :jump:

DeanT
12-01-2008, 01:46 PM
PS: Here is a what I think is a wonderfully written piece on losing this horse.

http://blackwatchholdings.blogspot.com/2008/11/long-goodbye.html

Indulto
12-01-2008, 03:24 PM

In my opinion the ban on caulks has nothing to do with the safety of the horses and jockeys but has to do with the increasing number of horses winning the biggest dirt races wearing caulks. Four of the last six Belmonts were won by caulked horses and the family that controls racing in the USA has obviously noticed.ED,
Would you please identify the other two horses?

I don't know much about physiology, but it seems to me that -- if a horse has a certain action with one type of shoe and a different one with another -- changing to something the horse isn't used to could affect where pressure is being applied; particularly one with screws in both legs.

I hope someone in authority or influence will pursue your statistics with NYRA management. Surely there is no need to take unnecessary risks of any sort with regard to equine safety.

Dick Powell
12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Definitely Casey's Tribe who broke down on November 14 and ran with caulks at Belmont on October 2. Big Love Bill broke down on November 22 but his last start was at Woodbine where I don't think they allow caulks and according to the charts did not wear them there.

the little guy
12-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Definitely Casey's Tribe who broke down on November 14 and ran with caulks at Belmont on October 2. Big Love Bill broke down on November 22 but his last start was at Woodbine where I don't think they allow caulks and according to the charts did not wear them there.

It's probably worth adding that Big Love Bill was a significant dropdown.

Ernie Dahlman
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Dick Powell is correct. Big Love Bill probably would have been wearing caulks since Levine used to shoe almost all of his older dirt horses with caulks but it was definately not a change from his previous race. Casey's Tribe and Wanderin Boy were forced to take off caulks by the new rules. All three horses were probably not wearing the shoes their trainers would have preferred. Sorry for the mistake, I went by my memory and I should have done the research to be sure of the facts. Ernie

Shenanigans
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Caulks or no caulks were not the cause of Wanderin Boy breaking down.
Wanderin Boy broke down because of Wanderin Boy. The horse was a hard luck horse. What should the owners have done? The horse was still a runner. He was bred to race and that's what they did with him. If every single horse was pastured after an injury there would be no room in pastures and the races wouldn't be filled.
The Hancock family is an honorable family. They are running a business. Again, if they pastured every horse that came up injured, they would be out of the business. I spoke with Arthur's son at the Nov. sale about some of their runners. They take great pride in their racing stable. This incident was undoubtedly a hard one to take for them.

o_crunk
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
This thread is HIGH-larious. The same people complaining about horses being retired early are the same one's to jump right in and say Wanderin Boy should have been retired early.

I don't want to question an owner's judgment (he own s'em, he can do whatever he wants) but if you know your horse is taking off the shoes for the first time in a 'supposedly' long time, you would think that you would at least question what the effect would be, especially if the racing is at the highest levels.

But then again, how do you know it's the shoes? We've heard for some time that AQU's main is in bad shape. Maybe it's just a bad string of luck...law of averages, whatever. Know the sample size is small but would love to know the rate of breakdowns in graded races and stakes vs non-stakes races. Makes you wonder if the really good horses just run their heart out.

Dick Powell
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Ernie and Andy,

This should probably be on another thread but what is your opinion on the ban of caulks from a handicapping angle? I thought it would be a major factor but from what I can see, of the trainers that historically used caulks, Jimmy Jerkens has been on fire, Gary Contessa is the leading trainer for the main track meet with a good winning percentage and Dominic Galluscio had a strong meet. The Chief only won one race but he only won three at last year's Fall main track meet and I don't know what his health issues have done to his stable. The big one is Michael Hushion - and that's why I am asking. Last year's Fall main track meet he had eight winners from about 20 starters. This year, after the ban, he only had one winner at the Fall main track meet ( but did have seven seconds and two thirds from about 20 starters also). What is your experience on the inner dirt track in terms of horses needing the extra traction do get over it?

NY BRED
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Grits:

I am an owner and retired a promising two year old filly that never made
it to the track due to a sesamoid issue, and a two year old colt
who had a severe bout with colitis.

Both horses set me back about 85k, and they have been retired as
riding horses for two trainers located in New York and Florida.

While I may have been caustic in my analysis of Mr Hancock, this horse
was placed in a race with one apparent objective: to win a Grade I.

The entiries were all relatively young and virtually all horses sported speed
#'s higher than WB .Note Wanderin won only two races from May 2007
until Saturdays race.One race was a Grade III,1 1/16th in the slop, and
the other was a 7fg Open claimer.

With the addition of Monterey Jazz , Wanderin was left to chase relatively
quick fractions,which in my opinion led to the death of this horse.

Given the nature of the medical history of a 7yr old running against
younger horses able to set gruelling fashions, would it have been more
sensible and humane to the horse(and public) to pass the race?

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Given the nature of the medical history of a 7yr old running against
sensible and humane to the horse(and public) to pass the race?The point is, this is very easy to say NOW that the result is known.

Anybody can backfit any number of items that may have led to WB's demise.

Not only are you backfitting his death, you are then passing judgement on Hancock as if Hancock was also thinking along the lines of your quote above, but decided to go ahead and race him anyway!

I'm fairly sure if Hancock and Zito were under any impression that the Cigar Mile would eventually kill WB, they would not have run him in the race.

Ernie Dahlman
12-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Dick,

I have no special insight as to how to handicap the inner without shoe changes. I've decided to cut my betting handle by 2/3 and bet more pick 3's and pick 4's. I've had a great run and if it's over so be it. I'll know soon. Ernie

the little guy
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Dick,

I have no special insight as to how to handicap the inner without shoe changes. I've decided to cut my betting handle by 2/3 and bet more pick 3's and pick 4's. I've had a great run and if it's over so be it. I'll know soon. Ernie

Look at it this way, Ernie, at least you're not dead.

Grits
12-01-2008, 08:29 PM
[quote]Given the nature of the medical history of a 7yr old running against
sensible and humane to the horse(and public) to pass the race?

I don't know what pps you're looking at and I don't really care, mine are still here on my desk, and your summation that this horse and his trainer and owner should have been scared off due to HIS age and . . . . (your determination of his) lack of speed and ability to go with the early speed is simply FLAT OUT WRONG.

Grueling? And what, exactly, would you determine HIS fractions were of :21, :45, 1:09, 1:21 going 7 furlongs at Saratoga in July? Or running 3/4s length back to Curlin in the JCGC eight weeks ago? Not too mention, a bullet, 1/43 in :47.2 seven days prior to Saturday's race?

If you can, indeed, believe THIS animal was anything but fit, and didn't belong in this race, I'm sorry, you'd best sell off everything you've got with four legs.

I don't agree with the opinion you've presented, but worst of all, the name calling of his connections--I find it truly rock bottom and unwarranted.

Ernie Dahlman
12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Andy,

That's funny. I now understand why all those pretty young ladies were sitting with you at Saratoga last summer.

the little guy
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Andy,

That's funny. I now understand why all those pretty young ladies were sitting with you at Saratoga last summer.

Well, we already know from Slewis that it's not my looks.

Living Flame
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
I could not agree :ThmbUp: more. And I am really surprised at Zito...what was he thinking? I don't give a crap how many times WB came out of a race in great shape...knowing his history of injuries, and after all he did do for them...enough should have been enough.
A foal starts off his life with broken bones and then continues to break bones...how in hell can anyone think he's going to be OK to race and race and race:bang: ...oh, and race some more:ThmbDown:

I was going to say the EXACT SAME THINGS. But you said it for me. What else is there to say? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the horse should have been retired after one decent stakes win. Some will say he never should have been raced at all.

Sick. And inexcusable.:ThmbDown:

Living Flame
12-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Oh...I could also say: This horse did not have one minor injury. He had many serious issues. And many people DID in fact express concern over WB's wellbeing while he was still racing. In the Steve Haskin blog, you will find several people commenting on his injuries and worrying over what might happen.

Racing a sound, hardy 7 year old is one thing. Yes it's still a risk, but most will be fine assuming they are cared for properly. But WB? That was nuts to race him for so long. Maybe get one good stakes victory out of him for the sake of his sire & dam. That should have been enough. If he had been my horse, I may not have even raced him at all.

Why are so many people commenting after the fact? Most of us probably did not know his history until now. When I heard of his death, I read the BH article and nothing weird jumped out at me. Based on that article, I really didn't see an obvious reason for his breakdown (I don't know much about Aqueduct and their safety record, didn't know if meds may have been a factor,etc) and I DID assume it was just "one of those things." I do know about Hancock and Zito and their love of their horses (they are among my favorites) so I was honestly shocked that this had happened.

But then I read the Steve Haskin blog and it became very clear. Something's just not right here. I just want to hear WB's connections speak on this issue, that's all.

bigmack
12-01-2008, 11:54 PM
But then I read the Steve Haskin blog and it became very clear. Something's just not right here. I just want to hear WB's connections speak on this issue, that's all.
http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/48251.htm

As Hancock said shortly after the Gold Cup, “Isn’t that amazing? He just keeps coming back. I hope one of these races his day will come.”

In his blog from Oct 1 Haskin says: The next time you see Wanderin Boy run, you might want to look at him in a different light and marvel at all he’s overcome. He's earned it.

What more would you like the connections to say? He was a race horse.

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2008, 02:55 AM
I do know about Hancock and Zito and their love of their horses (they are among my favorites) so I was honestly shocked that this had happened.Shocked at what exactly? That they might have a little more insight into the horse than you, seeing as they have actual hands on experience with the animal? Shocked they might have been 100% convinced this horse was sound and ready to go Saturday morning?

Yeah, he broke down and died. It's horrible. It's devastating to all involved. We know that.

What's more horrible are folks here intimating that the connections cold heartedly put money before the well being of this horse.

Stevie Belmont
12-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Wanderin Boy And Curlin B4 Jockey Gold Cup
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/SooperMan/DSCF4050.jpg

jognlope
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah why was he continually raced with all those healed injuries?

Fate spoke, unfortunately for WB.

aaron
12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
wanderin boy chased Curlin and other G1 horses this year. There was a G1 race where he did not get the lead and still managed to finish 3rd. I don't think its fair to criticize, running this horse in this race,unless you criticized the horse running in any of his last 3 races he participated in.

Grits
12-02-2008, 11:29 AM
For those who lack the time, or worse, the attention span to read this thread in its entirety of now five pages, it really would be of more help if you did so--before posting.

Pretty pony posters who pile on, walking in to add their verbal outpouring of one liners or one paragraph, riff with indignation and contempt--no one benefits, nor is anyone further enlightened. Certainly not, the dead horse, the trainer, or the owner.

Marshall Bennett
12-02-2008, 12:10 PM
wanderin boy chased Curlin and other G1 horses this year. There was a G1 race where he did not get the lead and still managed to finish 3rd. I don't think its fair to criticize, running this horse in this race,unless you criticized the horse running in any of his last 3 races he participated in.
Well spoken !! :ThmbUp:

joanied
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I have read all the posts on this thread, and would like to clarify myself a little bit...
I agreed with Tom B's post, where he said among other things..."it's about the flippin' money"...and I should not have agreed completley with his post...
I really don't think they ran WB for the money... in my heart, I can't imagine Hancock or Zito running any horse just for the money...so please allow me to toss that one out...after all, WB already had over a million dollars in earnings, and I truely doubt the Cigar Mile purse had anything to do with his running in it...
I beleive Zito was certain the horse was OK to run as far as the horse being race fit...and his legs probably looked good and felt good to the touch...but I also beleive that everytime they did run WB, it had to be in the back of their minds that this horse has had so many issues with his bones that any race at any time could have been his last...sure, it's amazing, incredible and somewhat of a miracle that WB ever got to the races, and then managed to win over a million dollars...a credit not just to the horse, but his connections for being able to keep him in one piece all this time...but as we know that young horses must be treated with care concerning their bones, older horses also need special care with their bones...just the oppisite of young bones needing to develope, old bones need to be watched as they start to become brittle with age, and in my opinon, considering WB's history of broken bones, they should have already retired him.
Yes, he was bred to race, yes he probably loved his life at the track, loved working in the mornings and loved going over in the afternoon...but WB didn't know he had bad bones, his connections did. There is something called 'tough love', and maybe they should have done the tough love thing with Wanderin Boy...quit racing him and do something else with him...stable pony, adopt him out to someone that would have used him for something else and given the horse a happy life filled with love...I have no doubt WB would have been just as happy with a different lifestyle. With so many good horses coming from Hancock, they didn't need WB to continue racing, hell, IMO, after he hit one million in earnings he could have been retired to another vocation.

Of course, all that is water under the bridge, and I guess what I want to say is that I am not mad at Zito or Hancock, and that any horse connected to them is a very lucky horse indeed...I admire and respect both men and do not mean to put them down or say they did a heartless thing running WB one last time...I feel certain they assumed he'd be fine for the Cigar Mile...and we'll never know the real reason for the breakdown, except that everytime WB stepped on the track, wether in the morning or afternoon, they knew, with his history, that there was no guarentee he'd come back OK....and yes, I realize this is the case with every horse, but with WB and all his broken bones, the chance of a breakdown was much greater than with a sound horse.

I can't blame Zito or Hancock and I have not and will not call them any names or refer to them in any way that is insulting or detramental...I said I was shocked that they decided to run him one last time, I said I wondered what Zito was thinking...but I guess they all thought this one last race would go OK and that would be the end of it...Zito doesn't send out horses that are not sound, and on that day, WB must have been pronounced sound to race, but I cannot get my mind away from his history and with that, I cannot condone his continuing to race.

I am certain that everyone connected to WB is in mourning for him and I feel a huge amount of sympathy for them all, especially Nick Zito...it's just a sad, sad thing to have happened...
and at this point, maybe we need to let it go?

Living Flame
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I beleive Zito was certain the horse was OK to run as far as the horse being race fit...and his legs probably looked good and felt good to the touch...but I also beleive that everytime they did run WB, it had to be in the back of their minds that this horse has had so many issues with his bones that any race at any time could have been his last...and in my opinon, considering WB's history of broken bones, they should have already retired him.

Yes, that's exactly right. :ThmbUp:

They gambled. It's one thing to gamble with a horse that does not have a history of BROKEN BONES and multiple health issues.

I'm sure they thought WB was fit to run, But no one is STUPID enough to not see warning signs all over the place. WB is extremelylucky to have survived all of those fractures. They had to have known WB could collapse at any moment. "Well, golly, he's survived all this, hopefully he can survive just one more."

Not all owners race horses who have no business being on the track. Take Man In Havana for example. Extreme potential to be a world class racer. Never made it to the track. Why? He broke a bone? Nope. Fractured SEVERAL bones? Nope. Ulcers? Bucked shins? Other health problems? Nope.

He just didn't show an interest in running. Perfectly sound horse. Just didn't want to race. So guess what? Not gonna gamble with him. Gee, how amazing!

Responsibility starts in the breeding shed. People need to start consciously trying to create a sounder, tougher horse. But when you fail, and you get an obviously fragile horse, one must heed the warning signs and know when to throw in the towel. All horses get injured, but in extreme cases like WB's, you just shouldn't gamble. It's just not worth it.

Living Flame
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/48251.htm

What more would you like the connections to say? He was a race horse.

See my above post. Not all horses bred to race are fit to race. For a variety of reasons, MANY do not even make it to the track. Often I see an unraced horse with excellent breeding and I wonder why the hell the owners didn't try and see what this horse could do. Give him a chance. It seems like an awful waste to not try. But maybe those horses are unsound or FRAGILE, and the owners don't want to risk it. It's frustrating, but maybe they did the right thing.

I would like WB's connections to explain why they gambled with him when they knew they had such a brittle horse. It was not just one injury. It wasn't just a bunch of minor health issues, or some unfortunate freak accident. Like, if the horse had been kicked by another horse and injured (and recovered fully), or if he'd fallen and hurt himself (and recovered), that's one thing. Then it would be remarkable "how much he's overcome." But knowing a horse is inherently fragile to begin with...that's another story.

Only thing to do now is hope people learn from this and think twice about the lives of horses - and their jockeys.

joanied
12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
See my above post. Not all horses bred to race are fit to race. For a variety of reasons, MANY do not even make it to the track. Often I see an unraced horse with excellent breeding and I wonder why the hell the owners didn't try and see what this horse could do. Give him a chance. It seems like an awful waste to not try. But maybe those horses are unsound or FRAGILE, and the owners don't want to risk it. It's frustrating, but maybe they did the right thing.

I would like WB's connections to explain why they gambled with him when they knew they had such a brittle horse. It was not just one injury. It wasn't just a bunch of minor health issues, or some unfortunate freak accident. Like, if the horse had been kicked by another horse and injured (and recovered fully), or if he'd fallen and hurt himself (and recovered), that's one thing. Then it would be remarkable "how much he's overcome." But knowing a horse is inherently fragile to begin with...that's another story.

Only thing to do now is hope people learn from this and think twice about the lives of horses - and their jockeys.

I wasn't going to post anymore about this, but maybe I need to add one tiny thing after reading Living Flames last post...
if WB had broken bones a little later in his life I may not have been so hard on his connections...but...he broke bones as a suckling...such young babies do not break bones just cavorting in the pasture unless they are predisposed to such a thing...and in my mind, going ahead with a foal that broke bones while he was still at his dam's side is a mistake in judgment...regardless of how good he healed up. They did not need this horse in the barn and the desision to race him came before all the other issues he had to deal with...IMO, it was wrong to start him racing in the first place.

cmoore
12-02-2008, 03:34 PM

I agree 100%...

CryingForTheHorses
12-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Please set me straight if I am wrong, but didn't Frank Passero get caught giving, um, Spanish Fly to some of his distaff charges ? This was during his record winning streak. If so, that is really objectionable.

For the record, tlg prefaced his response with "Sorry, but ..." :jump:

Yes I will set the record straight,Frank was NEVER convicted or caught with ANYTHING illegal with his horses. A groom at the GP holding barn was caught putting pepper on the horses a$$.This is well documented if you would like to look it up..Any other misgivinging about Frank,Please feel free to ask.

SaratogaSteve
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Pretty pony posters who pile on,

:lol: they have added more paragraphs. Unfortunately, same ol bunk.

Indulto
12-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Are the connections of Wanderin Boy the problem here, or is it the system that does not readily reveal the horse’s medical record for evaluation by those considering betting on it? It seems to me that this horse was never abused and received better care than most.

Every horse that starts a race becomes a candidate for fatal injury that no-one can foresee. It’s just too easy to criticize after the fact, and everyone of us who has done so here is also complicit if they ever wagered on a horse race or paid to watch them race.

The search for bad guys might be more fruitful here:

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/John-Pricci/comments/deep-throat-vet-colleagues-cortisone-hurting-the-game/#comments (http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/John-Pricci/comments/deep-throat-vet-colleagues-cortisone-hurting-the-game/#comments)
Deep Throat Vet: Colleagues, Cortisone Hurting the Game
By John Pricci December 03, 2008…The vet spoke only on the condition of anonymity and …
… wonders when regulators will finally get serious about what happens on the backstretch and shedrows of America’s racetracks.

“I want to run a theory by you about the dirt/synthetic/injury issue to see what you observer/handicapper types think about it. Here are my thoughts on how racing got to the point we’re at now:

The commercialization of the breeding industry.

Liberal medication policies of state regulators, allowing unsoundness into the gene pool.

The dominance of charismatic trainers, forcing other trainers to try to compete with [their] methods.

The widespread use of anti-inflammatory medications .

[Overuse of injecting] cortisone into joints [hocks, stifles, knees, ankles].

The sacrifice of thoroughbred horseflesh for the sake of speed.

… Again, speaking on condition of anonymity, the vet expounded further : “My point is this. The levels of cortisone that get pumped into horses legally in my opinion has a seriously detrimental effect on the body physiology that effects bone density…”

… The modern racehorse runs far less often and requires more recovery time between starts. Now consider that while preparing to win a leg of New York’s old handicap triple crown series, the great Tom Fool worked a mile three times in a week, barbaric by today’s standards.

… “After I [arrived at a major circuit],” the vet continued, “I was shocked at how many horses were being euthanized in the mornings. I was always of the belief that proper horsemanship combined with judicious medical advice could prevent most breakdowns. The number of horses I put down made me sick.

“The game might have passed him by but Jack Van Berg had it right when he went before Congress… There’s just no need to inject hocks, stifles, knees and ankles with [high doses] of Prednisone. Doctors treating humans for arthritis know to keep [cortisone] doses low.

… And this veterinarian, who has had experience with dirt and artificial surfaces, is skeptical regarding the efficacy of synthetic tracks as it relates to catastrophic breakdowns.

[b]“When a horse is moving forward, his foot will slide when it hit’s the dirt. But when it hits synthetic, it plants, it holds them. If the [breakdown figures are better on synthetics] it‘s the management [increased scrutiny] of the horse, not the surface.” …

Grits
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
BLOG: BELIEVE me, LITTLE OFFERED, GOING forward.

BLOGGERS are a blight, one which has blanketed the landscape. Admitting I have difficulty with these folks, so often they offer little, given that their string of words, be it bandwidth or inches, is based upon the perpetual belief, "I've got to talk . . . so here I go." (If you're Steve Crist, and your chronicling your days at Saratoga--that's different; that's worth reading, that's important stuff.)

I have less interest in this particular case, as the writer builds today's verbage on the condition of anonymity, then caps it with the headline, "Deep Throat Vet."

Woodward and Berstein, this guy ain't. There are no revelations here, not a one.........still, he goes on; reckon he feels the need and all that.

Noted in these particular quotes from the installment are the words of a veterinarian with a THRIVING PRACTICE who for decades upon decades, by his own admission, has been part of the problem. Due to his desire to build his clientele, due to his lack of knowledge of horsemanship, due to his own greed--all deficencies he declares and points out as rampant among his colleagues, somehow, he sees himself removed from?

"He or she can no longer remain silent" states the blogger, so with the promise of protection, cloak and dagger style, we sally forth.

Quoted from the BLOG:

Saratoga Springs, NY, Dec. 2, 2008--One day this fall I came across a veterinarian contact I had made, a person who has worked for decades at nearly every major racing venue in the country.

The vet spoke only on the condition of anonymity and his, or her, identity will be protected here. This doctor of veterinary medicine has a family and a thriving practice. But he, or she, no longer can remain silent.

"Increased competition among veterinarians…creating a situation where veterinarians are treating whatever trainers want them to treat without the least hesitation, in order to maintain and build clientele, leaving lots of room for error.”

Again, speaking on condition of anonymity, the vet expounded further :

“After I [arrived at a major circuit],” the vet continued, “I was shocked at how many horses were being euthanized in the mornings. I was always of the belief that proper horsemanship combined with judicious medical advice could prevent most breakdowns. The number of horses I put down made me sick."

In summary, the vet concluded: “As the years went on I felt uncomfortable working in a way that most trainers expected me to work. I feel the racing veterinarian/trainer relationship got distorted somewhere along the way and I mostly blame greed, a lack of spine, and a lack of knowledge of horsemanship on the part of my colleagues.

Free at last; damn guys, ain't SPINE a powerful motivator; even when its presented by the second coming of Deep Throat.

Indulto
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
BLOG: BELIEVE me, LITTLE OFFERED, GOING forward.

BLOGGERS are a blight, one which has blanketed the landscape. Admitting I have difficulty with these folks, so often they offer little, given that their string of words, be it bandwidth or inches, is based upon the perpetual belief, "I've got to talk . . . so here I go." (If you're Steve Crist, and your chronicling your days at Saratoga--that's different; that's worth reading, that's important stuff.)

I have less interest in this particular case, as the writer builds today's verbage on the condition of anonymity, then caps it with the headline, "Deep Throat Vet."

Woodward and Berstein, this guy ain't. There are no revelations here, not a one.........still, he goes on; reckon he feels the need and all that. ...GRITS: Girl's Reaction Is Too Severe ;)

I found it interesting that you didn't opine about the veracity of the information, only about the status and ability of the blogger, and the character of his source.

For the record, IMO Mr. Pricci is no less a valuable and reliable source of racing-related information and opinion as Mr. Crist.

That was quite a tirade for somebody who usually appears to have her feet on the ground. :jump:

Methinks thou doth protest too much. Are you a DVM?

Grits
12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry Indulto, anonymity doesn't do anything for me, especially after one's enjoyed a lucrative decades long career, and I was trying to make that point.

I have more respect for the "here I am, standing in front of the microphone, and this one's gonna damn sure cost me; still I'll tell you outright" admissions of Rick Dutrow than I have for what is being written here.

Everything is always 20/20 when looking back--through the rearview mirror. Always.

And my feet, yes, they're still on the ground, or floor, rather, right now.

Indulto
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry Indulto, anonymity doesn't do anything for me, especially after one's enjoyed a lucrative decades long career, and I was trying to make that point.

I have more respect for the "here I am, standing in front of the microphone, and this one's gonna damn sure cost me; still I'll tell you outright" admissions of Rick Dutrow than I have for what is being written here.

Everything is always 20/20 when looking back--through the rearview mirror. Always.

And my feet, yes, they're still on the ground, or floor, rather, right now.You may want to take a look at some of the comments that are piling up there.

Grits
12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
You may want to take a look at some of the comments that are piling up there.

Ind., I have now read all of these up to this hour, and I find the remarks of one--#16 Pamela Landry, thought provoking and quite honest.

I believe you are still missing my point, and too, I maintain these crucial and ongoing issues continue to be labeled, lobbed, meeted, appointed, and commissioned too death, all to no avail. Ms.Landry has more effective ideas. But this too, is only my humble opinion.

Indulto
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Ind., I have now read all of these up to this hour, and I find the remarks of one--#16 Pamela Landry, thought provoking and quite honest.

I believe you are still missing my point, and too, I maintain these crucial and ongoing issues continue to be labeled, lobbed, meeted, appointed, and commissioned too death, all to no avail. Ms.Landry has more effective ideas. But this too, is only my humble opinion.Grits,
You should know that my wife not infrequently refers to me as Mr. Completely. ;)

Grits
12-03-2008, 06:07 PM
And how many times has someone looked at this blonde and thought, (or better, were too polite)--to call her "clueless." Trust me, sweetheart, MANY. ;) LOLOL

Nmytwenties
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I do agree with all the posters on the board who say that this horse should have been retired. Zito has been admirable in his advocation of humane treatment and I loved how he ran Commentator in the Massachusetts Handicap at Suffolk due in part to the fact that they had enacted a anti slaughter policy. From what I have read he seemed concerned about the horse's health issues.

At some point when do you say, the horse has tempted fate 24 times, lets turn him out and let him live out his life in the field. Geldings just don't get the kind of protection that accomplished colts do and that is a shame.

I saw Wonderin Boy run only once in an Allowance at Saratoga this summer,I believe he won that one. May he rest in peace.

Nets
12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
The point is, this is very easy to say NOW that the result is known.

Anybody can backfit any number of items that may have led to WB's demise.

Not only are you backfitting his death, you are then passing judgement on Hancock as if Hancock was also thinking along the lines of your quote above, but decided to go ahead and race him anyway!

I'm fairly sure if Hancock and Zito were under any impression that the Cigar Mile would eventually kill WB, they would not have run him in the race.

Very, very well said.

NY BRED
12-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I've taken some heat on this subject from certain members, and I
think it may be worthwhile to share this additional information.

I just received the Stallion Registry. and note that Wanderin Boy is
listed along wth his stats and picture.

Obviously the ownership wanted WB to exit racing on a high note
with a Win or an in the money finish in a Grade I and felt, despite
his previous medical history and class that he could meet their
goal.

Responsibility for this loss can be argued forever, and I offer this in an attempt to bring this discussion to closure.

Grits
12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
NY Bred, closure and class are two of the most poorly chosen, overused words in the English language.

I could be wrong here, but rather than making, clear, your opinion and stance toward "the ownerhip" of this racehorse, yet again. Instead, I wish you had offered an apology to owner, Arthur Hancock for calling him a jerkoff on a widely read public forum. One that, too, is frequented by many within the industry. It would have proven far more affective, and needless to say, sincere in promoting closure.

And worthy of note, please. . . . . how many months ago do you believe it was--that Wanderin Boy's confirmation photo, pedigree, and racing record were due, along with that of every other animal in the BlooodHorse Stallion Register--to enable the publication to go to press?

How does Saturday's race impact his page, after the fact? After the printing?

How does your final post add to this thread after 6 pages?

I've taken some heat on this subject from certain members, and I
think it may be worthwhile to share this additional information.

I just received the Stallion Registry. and note that Wanderin Boy is
listed along wth his stats and picture.

Obviously the ownership wanted WB to exit racing on a high note
with a Win or an in the money finish in a Grade I and felt, despite
his previous medical history and class that he could meet their
goal.

Responsibility for this loss can be argued forever, and I offer this in an attempt to bring this discussion to closure.

joanied
12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Wanderin Boy is in the Stallion Register (I haven't got mine yet)...I hope I am not being stupid here:) ...but some of us have been referring to him as a gelding...so, which is it?
Is he a gelding or a stallion??
DUH:faint:

the little guy
12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Wanderin Boy is in the Stallion Register (I haven't got mine yet)...I hope I am not being stupid here:) ...but some of us have been referring to him as a gelding...so, which is it?
Is he a gelding or a stallion??
DUH:faint:

Some of you are making a lot of foolish and irresponsible statements in this thread. I am glad at least now you admit your unbelievable ignorance here.

joanied
12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Some of you are making a lot of foolish and irresponsible statements in this thread. I am glad at least now you admit your unbelievable ignorance here.

Oh, thanks so:rolleyes: much...I am ignorant...WB has been mentioned as both a gelding and a 'horse'... I asked a very simple question...why would you consider it as being irresponsible and/or ignorant...pardon me:bang:

In my own defence...I never called anyone connected to WB bad names...all I did was post that I was surprised that with WB's medical history, that they decided to run him again...they took a chance everytime they ran him...and now he's gone...but I did not call Zito or Hancock names, in fact said how much I admire them, and so was surprised they decided to take one more shot with him.
I would never even think of calling either of them a 'j-off' ect. I hope I have more class than to go that route.

Robert Fischer
12-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Wanderin Boy is in horse heaven now.
He's setting slow fractions in grade III races at around 9furlongs, and the forecast is sloppy/sealed every day.

RIP

Indulto
12-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Some of you are making a lot of foolish and irresponsible statements in this thread. I am glad at least now you admit your unbelievable ignorance here.If the difference between igorance and apathy is "I don't know" and "I don't care," then the difference between ignorance and arrogance must be "I don't know" and "I know that you now know that I knew that you didn't know." ;)

slewis
12-05-2008, 12:57 AM

Slewis, where are you?

I know I'm late on the thread.. but I can confirm that this was the first time in an illustrious career that Wanderin Boy did not race in mud calks in NY.

Nick Zito races (or used to) all of his horses in mud calks on dirt with the exception of first time starters.

As far as the bickering as far as unsound horses go........

I'm not giving names, or pointing figures, nor am I talking about Wanderin Boy, but I am certain, CERTAIN that many trainers, even top trainers, have saddled horses knowing that the horse they are saddling is not sound.
I'm not talking a little ding or pulled muscle, I'm talking about knowing that that horse should not be on the track.
But they do it..... why??
FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$
During the last 2 weeks in NY, I've been looking at horses VERY CAREFULLY.
I cannot believe the number of really dangerous horses that are running.
Worst then the trainers and owners are the NYRA state vets because if I can see this, they certainly can too.
There was one today that was so bad, I told a friend, "let's just hope he makes it past the finish line".
Just for note, Levine had two break down last meet, one of them wore calks in all of his races, except the one he went down in, his last.

TurfRuler
12-05-2008, 02:00 PM
" Unfortunate for Wanderin Boy, unlucky for Commentator but Zito, I don't think you will become known as the successful trainer of older horses. "

NY BRED
12-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Grits:

This is the last time I post on WB and listen to your ridiculous stand.

The owner made a decision, as you clearly stated, to retire the horse
in 2008, in order to advertise in the Stallion Registry.

WB ran ten times since 11/24/2006 ,winning a Grade III at CD in the
slop and on 7/28/06 won an OC/Allowance at SAR at 7 fg against
5 horses.
In all of his other races, WB ran his heart out, on the lead, and could not
win.

The 11/29 race included many younger horses faster than him that
won more than WB based upon their # of starts and age.

The question is why not elect to scratch the horse if you
intend to breed him.

Unless of course you foolishly believe this horse was 100% sound
based upon the ISSUES based above.

The loss of this horse could have been negated , and that is a FACT:(