PDA

View Full Version : The Remsen, a runaway winner!

onefast99
11-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Old fashioned just toyed with this field RD could of opened up and won by 20 he had a double hammer lock on the eventual winner. The rest of this group should go back to running allowance races where they belong as the dream ended here today for the also rans. I could only imagine what would of happened if RD let his horse run, a 30 length victory. He galloped home under restraint. Heavy restraint!

toetoe
11-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree. After the 1:14 split for 3/4, he could of (sic) come home in 33 or 34 seconds, if only he were urged. He should win the KD by open lengths --- IF the rider asks him.

P.S. :faint: and :rolleyes: .

joanied
11-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Old fashioned just toyed with this field RD could of opened up and won by 20 he had a double hammer lock on the eventual winner. The rest of this group should go back to running allowance races where they belong as the dream ended here today for the also rans. I could only imagine what would of happened if RD let his horse run, a 30 length victory. He galloped home under restraint. Heavy restraint!

onefast....is there a link to the race video?? I wanna see it:jump:

joanied
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
PS:) ...Just read the story on the race...I am just now starting to watch our 2 yr olds and don't know much yet (except that Vineyard Haven & Midshipman are in Dubia)... anyway...I now know Larry Jones trains Old Fashioned (good name)...and one thing I'd love to see is Larry Jones win a Kentucky Derby..especially since he has said he's quitting at the end of the year...now a colt like this might make Larry stick around a little longer...
at this point in time...my Derby horse is Old fashioned... I see his jock is Terry Thompson...anyone know anything about this rider?? I know nothing :confused: about him and since Larry usually rides the same jock on a horse, I'd like to know if this guy is any good.

onefast99
11-29-2008, 05:54 PM
PS:) ...Just read the story on the race...I am just now starting to watch our 2 yr olds and don't know much yet (except that Vineyard Haven & Midshipman are in Dubia)... anyway...I now know Larry Jones trains Old Fashioned (good name)...and one thing I'd love to see is Larry Jones win a Kentucky Derby..especially since he has said he's quitting at the end of the year...now a colt like this might make Larry stick around a little longer...
at this point in time...my Derby horse is Old fashioned... I see his jock is Terry Thompson...anyone know anything about this rider?? I know nothing :confused: about him and since Larry usually rides the same jock on a horse, I'd like to know if this guy is any good.
Dominguez was onboard, try to get a race replay of the delaware win he was in so much trouble he would of won by 35 easily. Not saying he is the best yet but he is that good.

joanied
11-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Dominguez was onboard, try to get a race replay of the delaware win he was in so much trouble he would of won by 35 easily. Not saying he is the best yet but he is that good.

HUH:confused: why on earth did the Bloodhorse story line say Terry Thompson was riding?? I already deleted the email notification for that race....but I am certain it said Terry Thompson... I actually feel better knowing RD was aboard... I beleive he's larry's go to guy??
Crap...I gotta try finding a video reply to watch:bang:

Thanks for the update, onefast:ThmbUp:

joanied
11-29-2008, 07:24 PM
:jump: :jump: :jump: Just watched the reply of the Remsen...WOW:jump: geared down all the way...what a super looking colt this is...I am soooooooooo happy for Larry Jones... wow, wow, wow!!

onefast99
11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
:jump: :jump: :jump: Just watched the reply of the Remsen...WOW:jump: geared down all the way...what a super looking colt this is...I am soooooooooo happy for Larry Jones... wow, wow, wow!!
The win was that impressive, Prado saved ground and finished a very distant 2nd on Breens horse. I wouldnt waste my time or money on any of these other plugs. Old Fashioned looked that good. Did anyone get a beyer # yet?

bigmack
11-30-2008, 04:46 PM
onefast....is there a link to the race video?? I wanna see it:jump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIqmMRtI-U

LRL Racing
11-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Old Fashioned looked awfully good in the Remsen. Look for another J. Larry 2 yr. old colt named It Happened Again as he is also a colt Larry thinks may be a Derby horse. He had him entered at Delta Downs on 12/5 Jackpot but I don't think he will run because lots of entries and he did not have the earnings to get in. On 12/5 Larry has Just Jenda in the Delta Princess and so far she has been super impressive winning in easy fashion twice and I look for a repeat effort. Larry plans to have her ready for the Eight Belles Memorial race next year.

the little guy
11-30-2008, 11:58 PM
He crawled on the lead on a track that was biased towards the inside. A little premature to get excited. For every Smarty Jones ( ya know, a foolish bandwagon horse that turned out to be pretty good ), there are fifty or more Galloping Grocers. Of course, he did beat AP Cardinal by a city block ( how come that was never mentioned here by the way? ) in his previous start, so he must be a Hall of Famer.

One promising note, however, is that he did get the second biggest Beyer recorded by a 2YO at Aqueduct yesterday.

onefast99
12-01-2008, 07:39 AM
He crawled on the lead on a track that was biased towards the inside. A little premature to get excited. For every Smarty Jones ( ya know, a foolish bandwagon horse that turned out to be pretty good ), there are fifty or more Galloping Grocers. Of course, he did beat AP Cardinal by a city block ( how come that was never mentioned here by the way? ) in his previous start, so he must be a Hall of Famer.

One promising note, however, is that he did get the second biggest Beyer recorded by a 2YO at Aqueduct yesterday.
Old Fashioned looked good and he has to be on everyones list as a real contender come May. As stated in an earlier post the rest of the group should look for allowance and overnights. If you get a chance post the beyer.

rastajenk
12-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Looks like he got a 100.

onefast99
12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Looks like he got a 100.
Yep nothing to get excited about! An easy 110 if he didnt crawl.:eek:

the little guy
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Just so you understand, he would have run worse if he was forced to set anything close to legitimate fractions, and the biggest mistake people make in general is believing horses " could have run faster. "

He might be a nice horse.....but Saturday's race was run under the most optimal conditions he will ever get....setting a slow pace while taking advantage of a track bias.

onefast99
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Just so you understand, he would have run worse if he was forced to set anything close to legitimate fractions, and the biggest mistake people make in general is believing horses " could have run faster. "

He might be a nice horse.....but Saturday's race was run under the most optimal conditions he will ever get....setting a slow pace while taking advantage of a track bias.
Not looking into "every angle" of the race, to me the hold by Dominguez was a big factor in how he ran. The interesting part about what you said contradicts what Dominguez said in yesterdays Hollywood Derby when asked by Christine Olivares after the race if the "slow pace" was a factor in the way Court Vision closed, he said he had no idea how fast the pace was. I know these are two completely different races so my question to you is did the rest of the field in the Remsen know that Old Fashioned was crawling or did he just toy with the field?

Charlie D
12-01-2008, 10:21 AM
49.44 - 74 = Slow

Performance should be treated with caution

joanied
12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIqmMRtI-U

Bigmack,

Thanks for the link...gonna watch the reply again at youtube because the replay I watched buffered so many times it drove me nuts!!!
:)

joanied
12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
The win was that impressive, Prado saved ground and finished a very distant 2nd on Breens horse. I wouldnt waste my time or money on any of these other plugs. Old Fashioned looked that good. Did anyone get a beyer # yet?

Yes, he did look that good...he was not asked at all the entire race...I expect his beyer won't be much because of the slow time, but who cares...you can see this colt has a ton of talent and could have gone much faster if asked.
I really like this colt:jump:

joanied
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM

I didn't see this post until I posted that...."he could have run faster":eek: ...well, he could have:ThmbUp: ...as for the optimal conditions...yes, I agree, the rest of that field is no where...but Old fashioned did his job and that's all we want right now anyway...until some other colts come into the picture...he's my very, very, very early Derby pick...got a long way to go before May...but nice to see a colt give us a little excitment.
And it couldn't happen to a nicer trainer:jump:

joanied
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM

:jump: :ThmbUp: :jump:

Robert Fischer
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
:bang:

cj's dad
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I must not have seen what has everyone so excited?

1:50.33 for 9 furlongs ?? against a lackluster field ??

rastajenk
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
and the biggest mistake people make in general is believing horses " could have run faster. "Amen, brother. We see it all the time (ahem, Big Brown's Preakness), a horse scores with a nice, high cruising speed, and people think he could have shaved seconds off with a more agressive ride. It don't work that way.

The question with this one now is, is this Beyer a springboard to bigger things this winter/spring, or is this as good as it gets?

Robert Fischer
12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
The question with this one now is, is this Beyer a springboard to bigger things this winter/spring, or is this as good as it gets?

try changing the word "Beyer" to "Remsen"

rastajenk
12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
It's not the race, it's the rating.

o_crunk
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
When I saw the race the first time, I thought it was over after the first quarter. Validated now, after the fact, the first three finishers went out 1-3-2. Two others made a mild move on the turn, wide, and probably never had a chance to threaten after 3 slow quarters.

Sure, could be a good one, but just watching his next one.

Fairgrounds or Oaklawn?

DanG
12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Soft pace, weak Remsen…

None of that takes away from two VERY fast Delaware races vs. adversity. (Although some of it was his own inexperience causing it.)

He has re-broken mid stretch in each race so far. Very positive sign and normally not the trait of the one-dimensional type.

Robert Fischer
12-02-2008, 07:10 AM
It's not the race, it's the rating.

I'm of the opposite camp. I think the rating is a crude measurement of the race, and the race is the actual (relatively complex) event.

onefast99
12-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Soft pace, weak Remsen…

None of that takes away from two VERY fast Delaware races vs. adversity. (Although some of it was his own inexperience causing it.)

He has re-broken mid stretch in each race so far. Very positive sign and normally not the trait of the one-dimensional type.
Very well said. I think a lot of people are excited over this horse that Larry has. The 1st Delaware race where he came off the pace and nailed the front runner was impressive. The 2nd race he put AP Cardinal away in the stretch and drew away. The remsen he did the same thing just sat under wraps and opened up and drew away.

the little guy
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Very well said. I think a lot of people are excited over this horse that Larry has. The 1st Delaware race where he came off the pace and nailed the front runner was impressive. The 2nd race he put AP Cardinal away in the stretch and drew away. The remsen he did the same thing just sat under wraps and opened up and drew away.

Putting away AP Cardinal is akin to beating Herve Villachez for a rebound.

onefast99
12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
You may be right on AP but I would like to see him try the turf course. He will have his choice of excellent riders at GP also.

Stevie Belmont
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Long way to go of course. Horse has size and looked very professional in winning.

He basically ran them into the ground without much effort. Looked sharp...

Jones, once again has a runner..

DanG
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
His major issue isn’t who happened to be in the gates with him; it’s the fact that he may have run…too-fast / too soon. He didn’t build to a fast number; he ran two of them right out of the shoot and followed that with 9f.

Put him away; lets the legs cool and hold your breath when they have to drop the hammer in a couple months.

the little guy
12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Spoken like a true sheets devotee.

Grits
12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
His major issue isn’t who happened to be in the gates with him; it’s the fact that he may have run…too-fast / too soon. He didn’t build to a fast number; he ran two of them right out of the shoot and followed that with 9f.

Put him away; lets the legs cool and hold your breath when they have to drop the hammer in a couple months.

Dan, ever thought of being a horseman instead of a horseplayer? ;)

While watching the race, I thought, front end, he knows only one speed. Early yet, only third start.

Again, Jones and Porter must have a real strong penchant for Unbridled's Songs. After their last year's ill fated, Eight Belles, I'd be a nervous wreck every time this one stepped out of his stall. Different scenario here, though; fewer starts. Hopefully, they'll move lightly and slowly.

Wishing him soundness and good luck at a 1 1/4.

joanied
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Dan, ever thought of being a horseman instead of a horseplayer? ;)

While watching the race, I thought, front end, he knows only one speed. Early yet, only third start.

Again, Jones and Porter must have a real strong penchant for Unbridled's Songs. After their last year's ill fated, Eight Belles, I'd be a nervous wreck every time this one stepped out of his stall. Different scenario here, though; fewer starts. Hopefully, they'll move lightly and slowly.

Wishing him soundness and good luck at a 1 1/4.

I wouldn't say Old Fashioned can't be rated...he was very relaxed on the front and that leads me to beleive they can take him back...but, no hurry, he's just getting started.

No doubt in MY mind that Larry & Porter will take it slow & easy with this colt...but I also have no doubt they did the same for Eight Belles...Larry was always careful with her and, as far as I can see, never did anything to rush her or put her in a bad place.
I think a lot of folks love the Unbridled Song's....and I think if there was a way to look at the stats of his get, we might see that the majority of his runners hold up just fine...the ones that have not held up may be out of mares that were not a good 'nick' with him as far as soundness...just a thought.

As far as I am concerned....someone was going to get this colt...and he's mighty lucky to have found his way to Larry Jones & Porter...he'll be in great hands.

onefast99
12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I still like him a lot no matter what the handicappers say. I know he is in the right hands.

joanied
12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I still like him a lot no matter what the handicappers say. I know he is in the right hands.

me too:)

classhandicapper
12-08-2008, 02:31 PM

:lol:

I didn't think the effort was conclusive.

No doubt he got away with an easy lead against a weak group on a track that was probably tilted towards inside speed. However, I think one of two things happens with horses like these. Either they have much deeper reserves of stamina and ability than we can measure and the slow uncompetitive pace actually kept them from running to their full ability (final time wise) or they don't and it helped carry the horse to a better figure than it would have earned in a more competitive race with a more demanding pace. The problem is you never know untiil they are tested against similar horses unless there are some other clues (visual, prior races, workouts in company with top horses etc..). If you looked at 100 horses like this, more would turn out to be overhyped duds than the other way around. So typically they are a good bet against at a very short price. But I don't think it's clear with this horse yet. I think there's a chance he's very good.

onefast99
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
:lol:

I didn't think the effort was conclusive.

No doubt he got away with an easy lead against a weak group on a track that was probably tilted towards inside speed. However, I think one of two things happens with horses like these. Either they have much deeper reserves of stamina and ability than we can measure and the slow uncompetitive pace actually kept them from running to their full ability (final time wise) or they don't and it helped carry the horse to a better figure than it would have earned in a more competitive race with a more demanding pace. The problem is you never know untiil they are tested against similar horses unless there are some other clues (visual, prior races, workouts in company with top horses etc..). If you looked at 100 horses like this, more would turn out to be overhyped duds than the other way around. So typically they are a good bet against at a very short price. But I don't think it's clear with this horse yet. I think there's a chance he's very good.
I think Herve and Andy may be pretty close in the rebounding stat column!

the little guy
12-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I think Herve and Andy may be pretty close in the rebounding stat column!

No way.

He was probably much tougher and would have outhustled me time after time.

onefast99
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
No way.

He was probably much tougher and would have outhustled me time after time.
Hey Andy thank goodness for the three point line for guys our size! Now 6'10 guys drain threes that easily and follow a miss with a reverse dunk!