PDA

View Full Version : No More Kuck Ratings at Woodside?

Hard2Like
11-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Excuse me if this is old news,but my computer has been out of commission so I've been out of the loop for several weeks.I'm shocked ,to put it mildly ,as I feel nekkid at the track w/o these figs,but my real concern is if John is OK.Anybody here in the know?Ran a few searches here and found nothing.Not trying to be nosey,just very surprised by this turn of events.

BillW
11-28-2008, 09:36 PM
It's only been 2 days since he's been here. Probably off for a thanksgiving trip.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I thought I'd check his website, not a customer, but always thought highly of John Del Rico from his postings on the board, wanted to be see what his website says to avoid confusion. Unfortuantely, there is only a one line message when calling up his website 'The Henry Kuck Ratings are no longer available.' Unless someone hacked his website, this doesn't sound good at all, not being able to leave any further words at this point, at least. I do hope he and his are all right.

http://www.woodsideassociates.com/

cj
11-28-2008, 11:26 PM
John is not offering the figures any longer. I don't want have a lot of details, but I'm putting something similar together so his customers have something to replace them if they are interested. I will send him samples this weekend and he will forward them to his customers.

proximity
11-29-2008, 01:44 AM
john sent out an email to subscribers earlier this week. he is no longer producing ratings due to a situation with his family.

as a subscriber, i will say that his was a quality product.

personally i don't know him, but i will pray for the best for him and his family.

and hopefully time will allow him to at least continue to post on the board as his experiences with both the kuck ratings and as a horse owner are always educational.

proximity

The Judge
11-29-2008, 05:30 AM
always like him and valued his opinion. Hope everything works out for him.

Premier Turf Club
11-29-2008, 08:39 AM
always like him and valued his opinion. Hope everything works out for him.

I got to know John personally and professionally through this board over the past two years. He's a great guy that put out a very high quality product. He's got two young kids, and I think after years of the 365 day a year grind of making figures he needs a break.

I honestly don't know how guys like John, CJ, Fotias, Ragozin, Brown, etc do it. I've made figures before and it was tough to keep up doing just one or two circuits...

Tom
11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Hope all goes well for John...he is one of the good guys.
I used Kuck Ratings for many years, and was very happy when John took over and continued the fine quality. He is a good contributer here, too. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
11-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree. Most importantly, I hope all is well in his family.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Cangamble
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I got to know John personally and professionally through this board over the past two years. He's a great guy that put out a very high quality product. He's got two young kids, and I think after years of the 365 day a year grind of making figures he needs a break.

I honestly don't know how guys like John, CJ, Fotias, Ragozin, Brown, etc do it. I've made figures before and it was tough to keep up doing just one or two circuits...
I make figures for 4 tracks right now, and find it tedious.

john del riccio
11-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I appreciate all the kind words, really I do.

Horseplayers are a unique breed of human beings, thats for sure. OCD, ADD, you name it and we have it.....

Being a single parent made this decision a no-brainer. My children need me much more these days as they are now 7 and 10. The time that was required for me to collect the data, work out the ratings, administer the web-site, handicap, wager, consult with owners & bloodstock agents, be a pro-active owner, and be a good parent, was simply overwhelming. Notice the order that I listed those. In reality, it needs to be the other way around. And unfortunately, it cannot be in this business. I can't be the best I can be at both so I need to concentrate on being the best I can be as a parent first. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't shirking my parental responsibilities at all. It has just become increasingly more difficult to maintain a high level of focus on each. Its a good thing I earned that MS-EE back in the day...

I have asked CJ to consider working with my subscribers because I feel very badly about leaving them without accurate pace and speed ratings for their racing endeavors. I remeber how absolutely alone and desperate I felt when Henry died. I had lost the primary tool in my handicapping arsenal.
Thankfully, CJ has been gracious enough to consider doing so.

I am sure I will maintain a relationship with the game (and this board), albeit
at a much much lesser level. Afterall, it is in my blood. Thank you for you thoughts, it proves that horseplayers aren't necessarily what the sterotype
has made us out to be.

John

onefast99
11-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Horseplayers are a unique breed of human beings, thats for sure. OCD, ADD, you name it and we have it.....

Being a single parent made this decision a no-brainer. My children need me much more these days as they are now 7 and 10. The time that was required for me to collect the data, work out the ratings, administer the web-site, handicap, wager, consult with owners & bloodstock agents, be a pro-active owner, and be a good parent, was simply overwhelming. Notice the order that I listed those. In reality, it needs to be the other way around. And unfortunately, it cannot be in this business. I can't be the best I can be at both so I need to concentrate on being the best I can be as a parent first. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't shirking my parental responsibilities at all. It has just become increasingly more difficult to maintain a high level of focus on each. Its a good thing I earned that MS-EE back in the day...

I have asked CJ to consider working with my subscribers because I feel very badly about leaving them without accurate pace and speed ratings for their racing endeavors. I remeber how absolutely alone and desperate I felt when Henry died. I had lost the primary tool in my handicapping arsenal.
Thankfully, CJ has been gracious enough to consider doing so.

I am sure I will maintain a relationship with the game (and this board), albeit
at a much much lesser level. Afterall, it is in my blood. Thank you for you thoughts, it proves that horseplayers aren't necessarily what the sterotype
has made us out to be.

John
I always enjoy our chats. If you need a good baby sitter at the track my sister watches my kids when we go down to the paddock area! Good luck and hopefully we will all hear from you soon.

DeanT
11-29-2008, 04:51 PM
It shows despite all the fancy dancy computers how this game still needs the folks with pencils and papers. It takes a hell of a lot of time.

Good luck John.

Hard2Like
11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Gotta RESPECT a guy like that.From one single dad to another,You are the man.

matthewsiv
11-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Sir

My hat is off to you.

It is nice to see a person with his priorities right.

Best of luck to you and your children.

I hope that you get back to the game you love some time soon.

dylbert
11-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks, John, for sharing your ratings here with your "Race of the Week" feature. Best wishes & good luck in your future efforts.

Parenting does take a lot of time & energy. Please stay in touch here.

classhandicapper
11-30-2008, 04:56 PM
John, Best of Luck. I hope everything works out so you can continue to enjoy this game in some fashion.

DanG
11-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Being a single parent made this decision a no-brainer. My children need me much more these days as they are now 7 and 10. The time that was required for me to collect the data, work out the ratings, administer the web-site, handicap, wager, consult with owners & bloodstock agents, be a pro-active owner, and be a good parent, was simply overwhelming. Notice the order that I listed those. In reality, it needs to be the other way around. And unfortunately, it cannot be in this business. I can't be the best I can be at both so I need to concentrate on being the best I can be as a parent first.
Your a class act John. :ThmbUp:

All the best to you and your family.

Niko
11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I can relate to the family demands. I have a friend that deals with a lot of high net worth clients...the only thing they seem to really regret is not spending more time with their kids if they were'nt able to.

In the long run I think you'll be happy with your choice. Best of luck and stick around here when possible!!

nomadpat
12-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Good luck John,

I understand the situation. I was making speed figures for QH races and trying to cover all racetracks and it became such a grind that I cut back and focused on just Los Alamitos to preserve life balance.

This thread shows why good figure makers/quality software vendors are worth the money - it allows players to focus on analysis instead of synthesis.

LottaKash
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Good for you John......

I believe that you have it so right. God, Family, and Trusted Friends, are all that there is. It takes a while for many of us to find that this is true, but you have, and that is truly a blessing......Anything else is less........

God Bless You and yours...

pandy
12-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I made figures for the major tracks for about 8 years and I found it tedious too.