PDA

View Full Version : Funny Cide off to Kentucky Horse Park

jognlope
11-26-2008, 06:29 PM
He didn't like ponying I guess...

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2008/November/26/Funny-Cide-to-Kentucky-Horse-Park.aspx

Overlay
11-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I used to live in Lexington and go to the Park, back when Forego and John Henry were still there. I'll have to drop by and visit when I'm over that way again.

OTM Al
11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
He was fine in the morning but he still wanted to race in the afternoon. He tried to take off after the field one day, so they had to restrict his duties.

point given
11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Glad to hear it. I never thought it was really suitable for a Derby winner to be a stable pony in the first place. Sort of an embarassment to me, hope the other champions at the Horse Park don't hold it against him :blush:

strapper
11-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Funny Cide is a great addition for the horse park! Hope he enjoys his new home in the Bluegrass and maybe we'll get up that way to see him. His owners were a colorful lot and good for the game. We need more people involved in racing like that large ownership team.

Premier Turf Club
11-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Lamboguy from this board is one of Funny Cide's former owners. I believe he and his partner were the ones that sold him to Sackatoga as a 2YO.

jognlope
11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Then I read a little about Lamboguy in Funny Cide book, a real fun read.

I like that he wasn't fit as a pony, that's like trying to make a cheetah into a lap kitty.

I will feel kind of sad he's not up here though in NY. I'll try to post some pictures if friends go by and see him.

Fingal
11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
The Kentucky Horse Park has a little population explosion going on of champions coming back to the state of their birth.

First Kona Gold, then Alysheba, now Funny Cide. :)

point given
11-26-2008, 11:18 PM
The Kentucky Horse Park has a little population explosion going on of champions coming back to the state of their birth.

UH, isn't Funnycide a NY bred and not a Kentucky bred :confused:

sevenall
11-26-2008, 11:35 PM
UH, isn't Funnycide a NY bred and not a Kentucky bred :confused:

Only because he was foaled in New York (but his sire stands in Kentucky). His dam was physically bred in Kentucky but he is technically a NY bred.

FenceBored
11-27-2008, 11:16 AM

My memory is that the Hall of Champions has six or seven stalls. Kona Gold was added to fill the opening left by John Henry's death, and Cigar got John's stall. Alysheba then pushed Cigar out of John's stall. Now Funny Cide is coming.

I've long thought they needed additional space for top horses, but short term where are all these guys going to live? I'm not seeing any death announcements on the KHP website over the past couple of months.

jognlope
11-27-2008, 02:46 PM
There a breeding barn or something, doesn't sound great, will get the details. A friend is going to his opening day.

jognlope
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
extended video of Preakness. Jose Jr.!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0JuU_MA2w