PDA

View Full Version : Are you a last second bettor?

strapper
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I always preferred placing a wager at the last possible minute - or seconds - what about you? I just don't think the pools "settle" until late but I like to observe the horses warming up. Never could place a bet way in advance with supreme confidence.

cnollfan
11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
I am both an extreme early bettor and a last-second bettor, depending on the circumstances.

Overlay
11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
In spite of the difficulties posed by after-the-bell odds changes, late betting is the best hope (outside of betting at fixed odds) to have any kind of assurance at all about what price you might get. (And, aside from the question of whether late odds drops indicate a fix, for every horse with odds that go down after the bell, others go up.)

cj's dad
11-26-2008, 06:50 PM
In spite of the difficulties posed by after-the-bell odds changes, late betting is the best hope (outside of betting at fixed odds) to have any kind of assurance at all about what price you might get. (And, aside from the question of whether late odds drops indicate a fix, for every horse with odds that go down after the bell, others go up.)

You seem to be one of the few who appreciate that fact.
great feeling to see your horse go off at 20-1 and as you root him home the odds have drifted upwards to maybe 25>1.

swedejxn
11-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I always watch the first click to see if any one pumping hard on the get go or just early...... watch the final odds to see if anomoly or truely someone with a head start on the field ( so to say )... I usually stay with my early thoughts though

thruncy
11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
TVG has 'em all beat hands down....Just hit the * key after keying in the bet....Fastest way--easily.

point given
11-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Most definitley yes , last second before the bell, gotta get that adrenaline rush of whether the bet gets in or not. Also known to save me alot of money by getting closed out of bad bets. But in actuality when you get down to it, there's not that much time left on track after you watch the paddock, the post parade and warmups. check the tote for action and finalize your bet and get to the window to wait on line to get the bet in. Back in the day, there was only wps and dd betting with separate windows for buying and cashing, so the formulatting was pretty simple. Now, with the exotics, there are many more choices to make in the same amount of time.

wonatthewire1
11-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I've had to become a bit careful with waiting here in NJ - the online interface shows a minute faster to post then the track does. And I've waited until they are getting ready to load into the gate only to be shut out.

Took a bit of time to realize that there were certain tracks that you could get in with "0" MTP (Laurel, NY, So. CA) but many of the midwest tracks were closed with 1 MTP showing on the track video feed.

As with many other bettors, it is frustrating to wager on a horse at 6-1 at CT and have it win by 5 lengths only to see the final odds all the way down at 5-2.

wonatthewire1
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM

You seem to be one of the few who appreciate that fact.
great feeling to see your horse go off at 20-1 and as you root him home the odds have drifted upwards to maybe 25>1.

That happened to me this evening in CT's 4th, with a horse that I had down at 13-1 8 MTP, and 15-1 with 2 MTP, won for fun on the front end at 23-1. In the 8 horse field, 4 of them where showing odds of 3-1 or less with 2 MTP.

Track Collector
11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I am not a last-second bettor. I know from my database what the average winning odds will be over time, so no need to be concerned about whether or not any one individual wager meets certain odds criteria.

In addition, job restrictions make it impossible to watch each wagering event, so I just phone in multiple batches of wagers throughout the day. One batch is for early afternoon tracks, one is for late afternoon tracks, and one is for evening tracks.

Alyblakester
11-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Plead guilty to betting last minute. Guess it's human nature to do that, huh?

fmhealth
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I usually bet as soon as the horses leave the paddock. Since I have neither the program or the DRF. I rely completely on physicality.

Dan Montilion
11-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I've been a last PLACE bettor as of late.