PDA

View Full Version : I agree Mr Crist

Charlie D
11-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Top 3-year-old grass horses should be running against their elders by October, not being encouraged to stay out of those spots with a G1 restricted by age so late in the season.

http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/

What do the PA members think??

Tom
11-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Agree. 3yo stakes should stop around labor day or so.
But you are the only one who asked me! ;)

Spectacular Sid
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
there's that turf grade one in October at Keeneland for 3 year old fillies, too, the Queen Elizabeth, and the Malibu at Santa Anita, which used to be a 4 year old prep race to kick off the Strub Series but is a grade one? I don't get it. I think these guys must get printouts with numbers on them and simply vote the numbers, whatever they are, because what they do ends up having little to none common sense.

Cangamble
11-26-2008, 09:46 AM
http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/

What do the PA members think??
Considering some of the best three year olds are ending their careers as three year olds..............

Tom Barrister
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
As a rule, thoroughbreds don't even mature physically until somewhere between four and five years of age.

Now somebody (Crist in this instance, although he isn't the only one) is suggesting that we push three-year olds into tougher competition late in the season.

Why not have two-year olds face older horses in June?

How about stretching the baby races out from two furlongs to four (or six or eight) in April?

Maybe we can drum up some interest in yearling races.

Where does the insanity end?

In the mad craze to breed speed, speed, and more speed, the thoroughbred has become more fragile (or less durable, if you wish) than it was a few decades ago. This hasn't been helped by the equally insane rush to get a return on investment by pushing two-year-olds---who are still basically babies---into lucrative races as early as June or July. Those horses don't graze on the farm until July of their two-year-old season, and then suddenly get vanned to a racetrack and race. They have to be trained long in advance.

The breed has changed since the 1950's and earlier. It's certainly different than it was in the 19th and early part of the 20th century.

So let's take this to the opposite extreme.

Thoroughbreds shouldn't even be allowed to race until about June of their three-year-old season.

Push everything back a year. Two year old stakes will now be run by three year olds, the Triple Crown and such will be contested by four-year olds.

Does that seem too extreme?

All it means is that they'll have to feed and care for the horse for another year. I suppose the chances of a freak accident on the farm will go up, since they'll have another 365 days to do something that will cause problems.

On the other end, there won't be nearly as many breakdowns of young horses. Records will tumble, as horses which are allowed to mature will be racing for them at older ages. Horses overall will have longer racing careers. There won't be as much need for drugs. Horses well-being (which few in the industry give a hoot about) will improve.

It makes perfect sense to me.

It won't ever happen, because the greedy powers that be want an instant return on their investment, and to heck with what happens to the animal or the sport itself.

That's my opinion, and you're entitled to a different one.

LottaKash
11-26-2008, 01:44 PM
As a rule, thoroughbreds don't even mature physically until somewhere between four and five years of age.

Thoroughbreds shouldn't even be allowed to race until about June of their three-year-old season.

Push everything back a year. Two year old stakes will now be run by three year olds, the Triple Crown and such will be contested by four-year olds.

Does that seem too extreme?

It makes perfect sense to me.

It won't ever happen, because the greedy powers that be want an instant return on their investment, and to heck with what happens to the animal or the sport itself.

That's my opinion, and you're entitled to a different one.

Hey TB, I couldn't agree more...I too, believe that there is way too much emphasis to race the very young ones too early and too far in their formative years....It can only be a detriment to the future of a horse's career when asked for "too much too soon"......Maybe it's me, but it seems that horses used to stay sounder and used to last much longer in their racing careers, than they do nowadays....

best,

Old Timer
11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Add one more enthusiastic agreement with TB's stated position.

Old Timer

Robert Fischer
11-28-2008, 09:42 PM
they shouldn't have ANY 2yo gradeI races.

the only age restricted 3yo grade I races on any surface should be the Triple Crown.