PDA

View Full Version : The Racing Channel/Racing Network

ENT222
11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Need a little help here...I am looking for the website which is related to Roberts Communications Network. I have gone to their website already however was met with a dead end. It is the satellite provider where the direct feeds are available for the majority if not all the tracks. It was $99 per month for the service and apporximately $225. I have tried several sites but they were incorrect. Thanks for your help.

Nacumi
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Here you go. Probably the .TV thing threw you off. It's a good service.

http://www.rtn.tv/

ENT222
11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
that was it thank you

HUSKER55
11-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey guys and gals, has the picture quality with satalite service improved enough over cable to make it a real deal? Years back I tried satelite TV and the picture and program range was a joke.

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2008, 01:02 AM
I have this service. The picture is not tremendous but the service certainly is. I highly recommend it.

BIG49010
11-26-2008, 06:45 AM
HPI in Canada has better picture quality than RTN, but they only have NY and WO on single channels. They do switch to Gulfstream for Jan - March. The rest are on a TVG type network. RTN 's signal is divided between too many channels is the problem, I looked into it a couple of times and last time I checked a neighbor's it had not changed. You can see the races ok, but picture was similar to what you get online, just in real time.

ENT222
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
anyone have this service currently? it was mentioned the picture quality is questionable but can you see the horses numbers etc. other than computer viewing what could it be compared to? I'm looking into this now since "mantown" is just about done and want to make sure the money is worth it, ya know.

BUD
01-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Tell us how she works---Dave has it too---

BIG49010
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
If you watch TVG and HRTV you should notice that TVG has a better picture.

If you can't see any difference, then RTN will be fine for you.

The picture on RTN is a step down from HRTV you can see the numbers sometime, but as far as looking for great paddock shots etc forget about it.

I was told that it has to do with the signal rate which is how they measure a broadcast. A good standard rate is 25,000 and RTN is 4,000 to 5,000.

Paging
01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
anyone have this service currently? it was mentioned the picture quality is questionable but can you see the horses numbers etc. other than computer viewing what could it be compared to? I'm looking into this now since "mantown" is just about done and want to make sure the money is worth it, ya know.

Some tracks appear a little better than others (none are great - all could really be improved). I must say Penn National is almost impossible to make out who is where on the backstretch. It's probably poor signal coupled with the fact that they race at night.

Just watching Delta's 6th as I type this and the saddlecloth numbers are a little fuzzy but visible for the most part - the worst is probably in the far turn there.

However, it blows away the Internet in my opinion and that's with a download speed exceeding 12,000 kbps.

I've noticed the quality appears slightly better connecting via the YPbPr connection vs the other options.

It may really depend upon your reference points. If you have cable (from what I've seen in hotel rooms) it's probably not that bad. However, if you watch most of your content in HD it's quite bad.

BIG49010
01-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I was going off top of my head, so I emailed the guy next door about RTN here is what he says.

"I can only say that I think the RTN quality is lousy. Video is fuzzy and poor. That's only to be expected, though. The symbol rate of the mux is 20000 symbols per second for 20 channels ( that's an average of SR=1000 ) . Not very much digital bandwidth.
A typical low bandwidth SD channel is about 4000 Symbols per second, which gives acceptable definition."

Imriledup
01-28-2009, 11:59 PM
What is the racing channel doing about this?. As Beyonce says, "time to UPGRADE"

thespaah
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey guys and gals, has the picture quality with satalite service improved enough over cable to make it a real deal? Years back I tried satelite TV and the picture and program range was a joke.I have ahd satellite for almost 11 years. I also install, service and sell them as well. Cable is well...cable. 'Nuff said.
Look, if your satellite system is installed properly there should be no issues at all. And if issues do come up, most times service calls with Dish Network are free of charge or carry a modest $29 fee.
I recommend dish becuase that service carries both TVG and HRTV in their lowest (Top 100) tier