PDA

View Full Version : Storm Play

OTM Al
11-25-2008, 05:30 PM
This is a very interesting up and comer. He is 3-3 lifetime and didn't make his first start as a 3yo until Travers Day. Unfortunately I didn't get the tip on him at 12-1 until after the gates had openned...grrrrrrrrrrrr.......He then crushed his NW1X and easily beat a small field in a 9f listed stakes that Tin Cup withdrew from to make the Japan trip. I figured the Discovery would have been the next spot for him, but it looks like the owners may be shooting the moon as he is slated to be entered in the Cigar Mile saturday. He may be a good price and certainly has the look of what might be a real contender next year. He's a big muscular horse and though I'm not sure what he got in his last, he popped a 98 bsf first out and followed with an easy 100 in the NW1X. Not Gr 1 level to that point, but pretty good for a horse first out.

the little guy
11-25-2008, 05:31 PM
He is pretty talented....I also think he will be last on Saturday.

OTM Al
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Very possible, but perhaps you have had to listen a little too much about him from a certain young fellow from Philly who seemed a little too overly enamored with his anatomy, which may have clouded your opinion :)

He does look like he could develop into a graded winner though, don't you think? I feel they may have bitten off a bit much in this one, but maybe they know something.

the little guy
11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure who you mean ( does his first name start with a P? ) but it's more that his last two races are not as good as they look and I don't see how he can deal with, at least, Wanderin Boy early and then be in any way effective late.

He may be OK, and could be a good horse next year, but I'm a little skeptical. Horses that debut in late August of their 3YO years have a way of not fulfilling their promise.

the little guy
11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
The late addition of Monterey Jazz to the Cigar doesn't help Storm Play either.

LottaKash
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
but I'm a little skeptical. Horses that debut in late August of their 3YO years have a way of not fulfilling their promise.

Still, even tho it is late in the year and that would give him a chance to physically catch up to the others in his bracket, but still, being a lightly raced 3yo at this stage of the year, perhaps it is a case of too much too soon, unless he is that precocious.....we'll see sat.....:jump: ....Love to root for that sort.......

best,

slewis
11-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Jimmy J told me owners idea to race in the Cigar.

Had he gone into the Discovery, he'd of had his hands full the way Wishful Tomcat raced....

My theory is that if you have your hands full with Wishful Tomcat.. the Cigar is really a stretch. It's usually is a very tough race.

I agree with Little Guy.