PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out which computer to buy

Si2see
11-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I figured i would come to the people who are doing the same thing i am going to do. I have decided, like a lot of others on this board to now start betting at home on the computer instead of the otb except when colonial downs is here in the summer.
I have a laptop that I have used for a few years to view the drf, and make wagers, I will still use that computer. I need help on which desktop computer would be best and most resonable price mainly for keeping all of the records of wagers made/spreadsheets ( which I haven't done in the past ) , and mainly for constant streaming video of the tracks I will be playing.
My budget is $1000 and I would like to have one 22-24 inch monitor for now. Any help is appreciated.

Si2see
11-25-2008, 11:19 AM
and the reason I am asking for help is I do not know what video card, etc etc would be best for streaming video, and the computer still work fast enough to have a couple programs and internet running all at once.

cj
11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
This one would do just fine...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227078

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2008, 11:47 AM
CJ,

I really like your choice except for 1 thing... 64-bit Vista could create some real headaches for older software, especially anything from the DOS world.

The price is excellent.

Also, personally I would make sure that the video card COULD accept a second monitor, although I do admit to being a bit of a monitor freak.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/Dave'sOffice/Office-200711-03.jpg

(I have since filled the hole with a television and replaced the 19" with another 22".)

rispa
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Dave,

What kind of LCD monitor do yo recommend?

Thanks.

Si2see
11-25-2008, 12:27 PM
thanks guys this is exactly what I am looking for.. and I am not sure still if I want to go with two 20 inch monitors, or one 24 inch.... The 2 20's seems best, esepcially if it isn't that hard to be set up.

So to run two 20 inch monitors, I would just have to buy one more Video card?

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
What kind of LCD monitor do yo recommend?

I have viewsonics, but the newest ones I have been buying are Samsungs. The idea is to buy them at Costco if you can.

I just bought this one yesterday for $199. (Apparently they have a $30, in-store, instant rebate going.)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11282261&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|1680&N=4018600&Mo=9&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62022&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

BTW, the more expensive Samsung did not get as good reviews as the cheaper one.

Personally, I find anything bigger than 22" just too big.

I am using this card:
GeForce 8500 GT
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8500.html

I think I paid $75.

One more thing... when buying a dual monitor setup, be conscious of the border around the monitor. After all, you do not want 6 inches of black between your monitors.

JustRalph
11-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I just bought a "quad core" Intel box and I can't believe how much faster it runs database queries. on my old dual core AMD when I ran Jcapper stuff I was pretty much bogged down. Not now........I can do all I want in Jcapper and browse, surf and download at the same time.

If you are going to do multiple stuff at the same time..........think about a quad core box.

Si2see
11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I have never really used any programs or software for horse racing, I usually just buy the form and handicap myself... I am to the point where I can win, but am not making winning wagers. I would like to get one good program to help me out, and i have never kept data just always did it for a hobby, but with the way things are now, I need to stop throwing money away, and starting bringing it with me which is why I want to bet at home.

Now back to the computer, the one cj posted looks very nice, and looks like a good deal.... Justralph, do you care to post a link on which cpu you are talking about ?

cj
11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I have heard the stories about 64 bit, but in my experience and that of PA as well, it just hasn't been the case. Vista on a 64 bit machine has been a dream. The expanded RAM capability is a big plus too for doing the things the original poster wants to do.

Now, I am a bit of a tech geek, but I don't remember running into any problems at all with software.

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Ralph,

Interestingly, HSH runs on an ISAM database platform. It is actually faster on a single core.

I still have 3 3500+ (single core) machines and when I compare them against the 4200+ or the 6000+ duo-cores the 3500s are about 10% faster.

Dave

cj
11-25-2008, 02:34 PM
This one looks even better, but the video is integrated, not stand alone. Quad core, 6G RAM, and cheaper.

With the video, I use a laptop with integrated video and a separate monitor hooked up for a dual monitor setup and I've never had a problem. It would probably be worth it to just buy a new video card and plug it in for this desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113079

JustRalph
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
This one looks even better, but the video is integrated, not stand alone. Quad core, 6G RAM, and cheaper.

With the video, I use a laptop with integrated video and a separate monitor hooked up for a dual monitor setup and I've never had a problem. It would probably be worth it to just buy a new video card and plug it in for this desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113079

you are not going to believe this..........but this is the exact box I bought........... :lol: same price too...........but I bought it locally at a big box retailer..........after looking around for a couple of days and finally getting sick of it.

Damn.......... that is weird............

*** I can tell you that I cannot run Equisim on the 64 bit side......a few others that are old..........like Norton Ghost etc.......... but will be adding another ops system, dual boot, to go along with Ubuntu that I just installed. 3 operating systems on one machine might be my personal record

Si2see
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
and you like that unit ralph? I I don't have any programs at all to try and use, I am basically starting from scratch

JustRalph
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
and you like that unit ralph? I I don't have any programs at all to try and use, I am basically starting from scratch

so far I love it. Had it about a month now.

If you are going to use 5 year old programs you might have a problem............but that doesn't sound like you.

Before I buy some handicapping software, I would make sure it runs on Vista 64..........

robert99
11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
For streaming video the Intel Core i7 is fastest so far, if you do have high speed fibre optic internet connection. Vista 64 has more problems with bad or missing drivers - so check your printers etc are compatible. If backing up to external hard drive make sure your PC also has e_SATA connection, for speed.

Monitors will be cheap as chips after Christmas as they are mass stockpiling unsold panels. I thought a 22 inch would be too big originally but would not change it now.

headhawg
11-26-2008, 09:20 AM
you are not going to believe this..........but this is the exact box I bought........... :lol: same price too...........but I bought it locally at a big box retailer..........after looking around for a couple of days and finally getting sick of it.I can't believe that being the tech guy that you are, JR, that you didn't just build one yourself.

JustRalph
11-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I can't believe that being the tech guy that you are, JR, that you didn't just build one yourself.

I stopped doing it. I can't build it cheaper anymore, and it's a pain in the ass assembling all the parts..........

I don't play many games anymore, save Red Alert 3, and it runs pretty well on the new box. So, alas, my last two machines have been an HP and now the Gateway.

JimG
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I am looking to upgrade as well. I am primarily interested in the best setup for streaming the horse racing video via YouBet or TwinSpires. I would like the best picture possible. I use a cable modem for connection purposes. I currently use an old Hp a620n with an Athlon XP processor. Video is onboard. Is there a video card which would improve streaming video performance that I could just add to my current setup?

My video looks fine if left small but if I increase the size, it can be pretty blurry. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

DanG
11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Post #4:

Dave; your setup is absolutely tremendous. :ThmbUp:

I don’t know if I’m seeing the dimensions in proportion, but it looks like you have plenty of room behind your work desks. Those of us with an L configuration in the corner of a room are envious.

bigmack
11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I use a cable modem for connection purposes. I currently use an old Hp a620n with an Athlon XP processor. Video is onboard. Is there a video card which would improve streaming video performance that I could just add to my current setup?

My video looks fine if left small but if I increase the size, it can be pretty blurry. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim
Jim, are these the configurations of your system?
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett-Packard-Hp-Pavilion-A620n-Desktop-Pc

Also, check your cable speed here: (click the city closest to you)
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

JimG
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Jim, are these the configurations of your system?
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett-Packard-Hp-Pavilion-A620n-Desktop-Pc

Also, check your cable speed here: (click the city closest to you)
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Hi BigMack,

That is my current machine except I have 1GB ram as opposed to 512k. And my video resolution is 1280 X1024 and that looks like my highest setting. My testing speed came back:

22066kbps download
3357 kbps upload

Jim

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I don’t know if I’m seeing the dimensions in proportion, but it looks like you have plenty of room behind your work desks. Those of us with an L configuration in the corner of a room are envious.

Actually, the room is only 11' x 12', but I choose to turn the "L" so that the left-hand portion is in the corner and the right-hand faces the room. The other side of the two monitors on the right have about 4' to the wall, which is a 6' white board. There are 3 computers under the desk, sharing 5 monitors.

The closet (my NOC) is a little more crowded:
http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/NOC.jpg

Next month I am adding a "video studio" upstairs for my new project (which will remain a secret for now, but you are probably going to be part of it). That will triple my workspace!

Dave

bigmack
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi BigMack,

That is my current machine except I have 1GB ram as opposed to 512k. And my video resolution is 1280 X1024 and that looks like my highest setting. My testing speed came back:

22066kbps download
3357 kbps upload

Jim
Tiptop. One last thing. Many folk don't realize that their drivers are not up to date. Run this little honey and PM me if your drivers need to be updated.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/driverscanner/

JimG
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Tiptop. One last thing. Many folk don't realize that their drivers are not up to date. Run this little honey and PM me if your drivers need to be updated.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/driverscanner/

PM sent.

Jim

DanG
11-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Actually, the room is only 11' x 12', but I choose to turn the "L" so that the left-hand portion is in the corner and the right-hand faces the room. The other side of the two monitors on the right have about 4' to the wall, which is a 6' white board. There are 3 computers under the desk, sharing 5 monitors.

The closet (my NOC) is a little more crowded:

Next month I am adding a "video studio" upstairs for my new project (which will remain a secret for now, but you are probably going to be part of it). That will triple my workspace!

Dave
That is a clever design David, thanks for sharing that.

headhawg
11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I currently use an old Hp a620n with an Athlon XP processor. Video is onboard. Is there a video card which would improve streaming video performance that I could just add to my current setup?Just make sure that the card is for an AGP slot -- not PCI-e -- which are getting increasingly more difficult to find.

cmoore
11-27-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3994&stc=1//www.paceadvantage.com

Here's my home OTB..A 26 inch LCD tv/monitor...The Dell laptop controls the small monitor above it..

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Doesn't it just look like fun to play in an environment like that?

How big is that monitor?

cj
11-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Doesn't it just look like fun to play in an environment like that?

How big is that monitor?

I'm going to guess about 26". :)

HUSKER55
11-28-2008, 06:55 AM
I had one custom built and made one mistake which, for me, turned out to be a real pain. I have an amd athlon 4300d with a co-processor and I use vista, 32 bit, with a samsung 24" monitor. Works fine.

What i forgot was to install some extra inboard expansion slots so now I have a lot of plug ins. Not a big deal but I hate all the wires.

Smartest thing I did was to install a full gig of ram. I am a firm believer you can not have too much ram. My hard drive is nothing to write home about because all my data I save to cd's.

Also, I purchased a new HP Printer. They have a program that automatically updates the print drivers everytime the security check runs through the program. When windows updates so does your printer. That is nice.

Out of curiosity, how many of you use satelite tv. Do you like it? Does your simulcast work well on it?

Thanks

husker55

:)

Fred
11-28-2008, 08:18 AM
you are not going to believe this..........but this is the exact box I bought........... :lol: same price too...........but I bought it locally at a big box retailer..........after looking around for a couple of days and finally getting sick of it.

Damn.......... that is weird............

*** I can tell you that I cannot run Equisim on the 64 bit side......a few others that are old..........like Norton Ghost etc.......... but will be adding another ops system, dual boot, to go along with Ubuntu that I just installed. 3 operating systems on one machine might be my personal record

Ralph: Have you talked to Nathan about the 64 bit issue? Maybe he has some idea of how to make this work. I would like to upgrade but I would hate to lose ES. Are there presently programs on the market that can make use of 64 bit? I thought I read somewhere that 32 bit can only use up to 3mb ram but 64 bit can use much more. But I believe the same article stated that there are two few software programs that run in 64 bit. This is true, no? If so is there really any benefit to buy a 64 bit computer and lose some of the things I am presently doing with little gain right now?

Here is part of whatI have researched:

Operating systems such as Windows Vista x64 Edition are not automatically faster than their 32-bit counterparts. In some cases, they may even perform slower because of the larger pointers as well unrelated OS overhead. Overall, an application’s performance depends on what it is used for and how it is implemented. Emulated applications running within the Windows on Windows 64 layer (discussed in more detail later in this article) will not be able to address any more memory than they could on a 32-bit system.

Drivers supported by Windows Vista x64 Edition will not necessarily be supported by the 64-bit edition of Windows XP. National Instruments will support Windows Vista x64 Edition with driver releases and software updates, but there are no plans for NI to support Windows XP x64 Edition.

Freddy

raybo
11-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm running a Compaq SR5505F with AMD Athlon X2 4200+Dual Core Processor, 1GB RAM (which I will upgrade to 4GB soon), 160GB SATA HD @ 7200, Windows Vista Home Premium, Excel 2007 and Excel 2000, dual monitor AGP video card @ 512MB, 1-22" VGA monitor and 2-17" VGA monitors (1 of these is set up as a 1 to 2 and shows the same thing as the other 17", it is the 2nd monitor on the dual monitor card) this allows me to see the wagering/tote and also send it to the other one for my partner to view. The 22" monitor is used for my main spreadsheet. I also have a laptop with a 15" VGA monitor attached, so I actually use 5 monitors total.

I paid $249 for the Compaq computer, new from Frys.com, $30 for the 22" VGA (used) and got a 15" thrown in with it. I already had the 2-17" monitors from my previous computer setup, and the laptop.

I use the laptop for 2 other spreadsheets(one in Excel 2007 and one in Excel 2000. So, I can view 3 spreadsheets, the wagering platform and the tote (on 2 monitors) all at the same time without having to move them around.

I couldn't be happier with my setup (with the minor exception of needing to add more RAM to the desktop).