PDA

View Full Version : PLAYOFFS OR NOT

pktruckdriver
11-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Here's your chance to voice your opinion.

Robert Fischer
11-25-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.firstandsecondcityguys.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/JimMora.jpg
Playoffs?!
Yes.:ThmbUp:

cj
11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I like that college football has the most important regular season games, but I also hate that the champion is not determined on the field most years. How to do both?

Pretty simple really. You have an 8 team playoff. You win one of the big 6 conferences, you are in. You don't win your conference, you are out. That will keep the regular season as exciting as it is today.

The other two slots go to the best two of the smaller conferences. No "at large" bids for the big schools. It is pretty tough to argue a team that doesn't win the conference should be in the big game, even though it has happened a few times already. They could still use the formulas to determine seedings and the 7th and 8th teams in.

rastajenk
11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
What if the best two from the smaller conferences have 8-4 records? Do they still get in over an 11-1 runner-up? It's not automatic that Utah, Boise, Marshall, or Tulane (or something similar) will go undefeated.

cj
11-25-2008, 07:26 PM
What if the best two from the smaller conferences have 8-4 records? Do they still get in over an 11-1 runner-up? It's not automatic that Utah, Boise, Marshall, or Tulane (or something similar) will go undefeated.

Well, there are enough smaller conferences to fill two slots. There will be big conference teams this year that have 3 or 4 losses. If you want to keep the regular season important like now, you can't let teams that don't win the conference in for the big one. I keep hearing that as the big downside to a playoff, it hurts the regular season. This would take care of that.

I put about two minutes of thought into the plan. I'm sure a group of people and a few hours could make it acceptable.

Murph
11-27-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.firstandsecondcityguys.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/JimMora.jpg
Playoffs?!
Yes.:ThmbUp:Just when the nightmares had stopped!
Thanks for the memories, Robert.