PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Betting

Alyblakester
11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I know the Sartin people bet two horses to win in a race so it must have some merit. When I dislike a chalk I usually go that route and bet between two and five horses to win, providing they go off at a square price. Sometimes you can just smell out a longshot race can't you?

pktruckdriver
11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Dutch Betting System
This is not a handicapping method, but a betting system that is used to cover several horses in a race. The idea behind the system is that the more horses you bet, the better chance you have of winning. Of course, the payoff on your winning horse has to cover the cost of the bets on the losing horses. In this system, the player sets an amount that he hopes to win on the race, lets say $100 for our example. He then calculates how much he needs to bet on a particular horse to generate a $100 return. If Horse "A" is 4:1 in the betting pool, he would return $10 for a $2 bet. In order to get back $100 on Horse "A" you would bet $20 to win, resulting in a $100 payout ($80 profit + your original $20 bet). If horse "B" was 2:1, it would pay $6 to win, so you would need to bet approximately $34 on that horse to get back $100. If horse "C" is 9:1, it would return $20 for a $2 bet, therefore you would need to bet $10 in order to get back $100. So covering all three horses (Horse A at 4:1, Horse B at 2:1, and Horse C at 9:1) would cost you $64. If any one of them won you would get back $100 and realize a 436 dollar profit. Of course, if none of them won you would be out $100 and in bad shape. This system is mainly used when a handicapper does not like the betting favorites in a race and feels that one of the "longshots" will win the race. Using a Dutch system he can cover several of the longer priced horses and still make a profit regardless of the outcome.