PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Ontrack Bookmakers

Alyblakester
11-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't it be neat to bet with an ontrack bookmaker like they do in England and other countries? Maybe that's what American racing needs to spice it up. The parimutuel system is kind of cold and calculating to me. If any of you have experience in this regard I would love to hear your opinions and experiences on the matter.

robert99
11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Certainly it provides colour and entertainment of a real market place as people try to get the most money on at the best price. That price is then fixed whatever the market does next. In England certainly, the on-course bookmakers are the most honest businessmen and women going. If you have a winning ticket and don't cash it you can get paid when you next meet up. Where else can you borrow some cash for the bus home if you have done your money?

Sadly it is another industry that is dieing on its feet as people bet at home via internet and with companies that just provide a low commission press button service such as Betfair.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/sep/11/horseracing1

Imriledup
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
If you could bet with Betfair in America, why would anyone bet on track? USA knows that and that's why they restrict free trade.

Alyblakester
11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
So Betfair is not legal in U.S.? I thought it was but I was scared to try it.