PDA

View Full Version : Churchill Downs to buy TVG?

blind squirrel
11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I hope this is true!...and i won't have to watch Todd,ken,matt and Mr B
ever again!!!..oh and did i mention Los Alamitos! :jump:

Imriledup
11-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Exactly. Having to suffer through Los Al over the years has been one of the biggest nightmares of my life. Hopefully the bad dreams will end.

Fingal
11-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Exactly. Having to suffer through Los Al over the years has been one of the biggest nightmares of my life. Hopefully the bad dreams will end.

Just a question- what else are they supposed to show at night ?

blind squirrel
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Well,it's OK to show it...Tvg has promoted Los Al like it was Saratoga
or Keeneland...why?..because they get a bigger slice of the pie.

Imriledup
11-23-2008, 12:01 PM

I dont care that they show it, but they FEATURE it like its the KY Derby card at CD. LA should be an afterthought, not the feature.

rrbauer
11-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Los Al is owned by an individual who has embraced TVG from the get-go. He thinks that having his track on TV during evening hours is the greatest thing since (whatever you think the greatest thing is) was invented. It's been a win-win relationship from day one. Like it or not!!

Tom Barrister
11-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't know of any law that states that anybody is forced to tune into TVG during "The Quarters".

TVG and Los Alamitos have the right idea. Once the evening thoroughbred tracks finish, they have only a few harness tracks and Australia to compete with, and thousands of gamblers looking for action. They must be doing something right; the track averages close to a million in handle per card.

NoCal Boy
11-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't know of any law that states that anybody is forced to tune into TVG during "The Quarters".

TVG and Los Alamitos have the right idea. Once the evening thoroughbred tracks finish, they have only a few harness tracks and Australia to compete with, and thousands of gamblers looking for action. They must be doing something right; the track averages close to a million in handle per card.

Hard to see CD buying TVG when Mr. D and another director just bought shares in the open market this past week. That would likely be insider trading if CD was negotiating to buy TVG at this time.

Speed Figure
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
It is like Saratoga and Keeneland for Quarter Horse Racing, just check the handle. The pick 4 pool last night was $83,657 and the late one was $55,651. This is why they show Los Al, because bettors are betting!!

lamboguy
11-23-2008, 01:27 PM
we must all admit that without TVG the horseracing industry would have been long gone by now. i am not saying they have revived the sport, that's a tuff task while the people running the sport has it in handcuffs. but they have created interest. they certainly have tried hard to get people interested in the sport.
the model they have attempted is not working these days. the exclusivity thing has failed, and the charge .25 to make the bet is hindering their business.

Zman179
11-23-2008, 01:54 PM
we must all admit that without TVG the horseracing industry would have been long gone by now. i am not saying they have revived the sport, that's a tuff task while the people running the sport has it in handcuffs. but they have created interest. they certainly have tried hard to get people interested in the sport.
the model they have attempted is not working these days. the exclusivity thing has failed, and the charge .25 to make the bet is hindering their business.

Well I'm not going to admit that.
With or without TVG, horseracing would still have been here. In fact, I dare say that horseracing would have been better off without TVG because we might not have heard words such as "exclusivity", which has been nothing but a thorn in the side of the game. After all, it was TVG which was the first entity to block signals to ADW's.

Bruddah
11-23-2008, 03:02 PM
post deleted

By the way, I do agree, the Powers to be in Thoroughbred Racing have No inclination of who really pay the bills in this Sport, nor do they care. But, the rest of the Six Packs and I have known this for a long long time.

Signed Joe SixPack et al.

BombsAway Bob
11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Los Al is the perfect "starter track" for new horseplayers.
It's a lot easier for a person to read Quarterhorse PP's than T'Bred PP's.
There's the standard: Date/Race#/Track/distance info, but instead of
internal fractions, there's the horse's final time & the winning time.
A friend of mine, Mike Gaudet, who I had tried many times to get into the sport, finally started playing by watching "The Quarters" with Me on TVG! The first thing he said to me on looking @ my Los Al PP's was; "These seem easier to understand!" He wound up getting a TVG account. He's play from his house after putting his kids to bed, E-mailing me for my thoughts on the races.
I took him out to Saratoga for a few days in 2006, and he was HOOKED!
Sadly, opening Friday of the SPA 2007 meet, he was found in bed, dead from a heart attack. When I saw his phone # on the Caller ID that morning, I thought,"He bagged work so we could sneak up to The SPA!" It was his sister, giving me the shocking news.
...Mike was 46, & one of my best friends...:(

JustRalph
11-23-2008, 06:07 PM
It is like Saratoga and Keeneland for Quarter Horse Racing, just check the handle. The pick 4 pool last night was $83,657 and the late one was $55,651. This is why they show Los Al, because bettors are betting!!

Once again, Speed cuts to the chase.

I knew it was here to stay the first week they aired it. Handle grew something like 18 percent and continued to grow for a year if my memory serves me right. I am not a fan of Los Al. I have bet a few hook races while watching in the past. But very rarely. You would be surprised how well some software does in the shorter T-bred races. The long and short is, Money!

Alyblakester
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
It could happen. Might be a perfect fit for the CD model of the future. They would likely keep most of the same talent and would no doubt still show The Quarters since there really isn't too much on during that time slot.

turfnsport
11-23-2008, 08:59 PM

C'mon... TVG saved the sport? That is completely ridiculous....lol..

What is the Over/Under on how many newbies it got to deposit and try the game only go broke within a week of watching all the non stop dribble and hype on playing Pick 4 and Pick 6 tickets all day?

Any newbie fed a steady diet of :58 Flat for a week will be back playing a $30 SnG at Pokerstars within a week.

Nets
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I think I once saw Meadowlark Lemon do a non-stop dribble. But your points are correct. It amazes me that TVG just keeps pounding the pick 4 and pick 6's. I would love to see the analysts roi on those bets. And when they rarely do get one right, they make such a big deal out of it. Wouldn't some exacta or tri's make more sense? Something that newbies and casual players could relate to. The successful p4 and p6 players are not likely basing their picks on TVG analyst suggestions anyway. And those that do follow their picks won't be able to do it for long.

Gary

JustRalph
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
they already own a portion of HRTV.......having both channels would be interesting

ALostTexan
11-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Los Al is the perfect "starter track" for new horseplayers.
It's a lot easier for a person to read Quarterhorse PP's than T'Bred PP's.
There's the standard: Date/Race#/Track/distance info, but instead of
internal fractions, there's the horse's final time & the winning time.
A friend of mine, Mike Gaudet, who I had tried many times to get into the sport, finally started playing by watching "The Quarters" with Me on TVG! The first thing he said to me on looking @ my Los Al PP's was; "These seem easier to understand!" He wound up getting a TVG account. He's play from his house after putting his kids to bed, E-mailing me for my thoughts on the races.
I took him out to Saratoga for a few days in 2006, and he was HOOKED!
Sadly, opening Friday of the SPA 2007 meet, he was found in bed, dead from a heart attack. When I saw his phone # on the Caller ID that morning, I thought,"He bagged work so we could sneak up to The SPA!" It was his sister, giving me the shocking news.
...Mike was 46, & one of my best friends...:(

Man, that sucks. Sorry about your friend.

I do agree that QH and harness racing are a much better way to get into the handicapping game. Especially harness, since you have virtually every race going a mile, and learn the importance of track configuration. QH is easier than TB, too, in that the PP's are easier to read and understand for a beginner.

Now, just learning which drivers/jockeys are doing what is the problem...

Speed Figure
11-24-2008, 12:21 AM
I think they pound the pick 4 and pick 6 because of the amount of money that can be made. I 1st got into the game because my father in-law kept talking about the big pick 6 carryover. It's easy to get new players when they see people winning big amounts of money, without betting a lot. I think it's hard to tell people you can win $80 if you bet $20 on that 3/1 shot or you can win maybe $2000 if you pick the right horses in the pick 4 with your $20.

Nets
11-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I think they pound the pick 4 and pick 6 because of the amount of money that can be made. I 1st got into the game because my father in-law kept talking about the big pick 6 carryover. It's easy to get new players when they see people winning big amounts of money, without betting a lot. I think it's hard to tell people you can win $80 if you bet $20 on that 3/1 shot or you can win maybe $2000 if you pick the right horses in the pick 4 with your $20.

That is true, unfortunately their picks usually cost well more than $20. I love it when they suggest a pk 4 wager for $50+ and lose in the first leg and never talk about it again.

bigmack
11-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I 1st got into the game because my father in-law kept talking about the big pick 6 carryover.
I've gathered you for a computer capper. Home grown or otherwise?

Did 'PopinLaw' ever hit?

On a side note: Lost Without You sans the redundant loop had real promise. If it's yours, revisit & enliven it.

Pell Mell
11-24-2008, 09:25 AM
All the fuss with the p4 and p6 is, IMO, an attempt to do what game shows do; keep you hanging in there so you don't change the channel.

Marshall Bennett
11-24-2008, 09:46 AM
This has always been my #1 gripe with TVG . I'm glad we have the two racing networks , its good for the game and frankly I'd be lost without them , but way to much emphasis is placed on the pick 6 . Every California carry-over brings with it an entire hour of boring detailed study of a cheap ticket that never goes anywhere . Its bad enough that Greg Wolf needs a whip to keep Mr.B awake but this is enough to put anyone to sleep . Anyone new to the game would have to be confused . Pick 6 Central is a waste of air time and " Mr. B " needs to retire before he falls out of his chair and makes a fool out of himself .

thruncy
11-24-2008, 10:00 PM
By the way, I do agree, the Powers to be in Thoroughbred Racing have No inclination of who really pay the bills in this Sport, nor do they care. But, the rest of the Six Packs and I have known this for a long long time.

Signed Joe SixPack et al. Geez, I got censored by P.A. Viva La France!

PaceAdvantage
11-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Geez, I got censored by P.A. Viva La France!Yeah, gee, I wonder why....you got two hours?

bishlap
11-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Greg Wolf needs a whip to keep Mr.B awake but this is enough to put anyone to sleep . Anyone new to the game would have to be confused . Pick 6 Central is a waste of air time and " Mr. B " needs to retire before he falls out of his chair and makes a fool out of himself .
oh man... too effin funny. I kinda like Mr. B. He may have that Perry Como effect, but I don't find him offensive at all. It's mealy mouth Greg (the # 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 etc., horse in any race has shown speed) Wolf I can't take.

Zman179
11-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Geez, I got censored by P.A. Viva La France!

I'd have to censor this too. You just mixed spanish with french. :faint: