PDA

View Full Version : Ohio race dates cut...Ohio horsemen suffer

NoCal Boy
11-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I guess the game of chicken played out by Ohio horsemen on ADW backfired. Race dates cut.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2008/November/21/Ohio-Racing-Commission-sets-2009-race-dates.aspx

Patrick333
11-21-2008, 06:16 PM
The state government of Ohio sure doesn't care about horse racing do they. I feel sorry for the horseman and the fans.

cj
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
The state government of Ohio sure doesn't care about horse racing do they. I feel sorry for the horseman and the fans.

You feel sorry for the horsemen? They are the ones that caused all this mess!

CryingForTheHorses
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
You feel sorry for the horsemen? They are the ones that caused all this mess!

I beg to differ with you CJ,The horseman themselves did not cause this mess!!!...The horseman are caught in the middle of the HBPA who represent the horseman...ALL this was done without the horseman knowing what was going on before it happened,At Calder none of us knew anything about this until it was pushed upon us.Nobody had any idea that this group was hired to do this until it happened. Yes we are suffering but you horseplayers need to know that we didnt have a say or a vote on any of this.

cj
11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I beg to differ with you CJ,The horseman themselves did not cause this mess!!!...The horseman are caught in the middle of the HBPA who represent the horseman...ALL this was done without the horseman knowing what was going on before it happened,At Calder none of us knew anything about this until it was pushed upon us.Nobody had any idea that this group was hired to do this until it happened. Yes we are suffering but you horseplayers need to know that we didnt have a say or a vote on any of this.

I feel for you guys...sort of. Somebody had to decide to let these guys "represent" you. I don't think they can just do it on their own. Now, exactly which horsemen have the most pull is probably the real question.

CryingForTheHorses
11-21-2008, 06:53 PM
I feel for you guys...sort of. Somebody had to decide to let these guys "represent" you. I don't think they can just do it on their own. Now, exactly which horsemen have the most pull is probably the real question.

The FHBPA are the guys who decide what to do,ALL of this was done behind the scenes and we were informed 1 week before the Calder meet started

cj
11-21-2008, 06:55 PM
The FHBPA are the guys who decide what to do,ALL of this was done behind the scenes and we were informed 1 week before the Calder meet started

So who are the FHBPA? Who put them in charge?

CryingForTheHorses
11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
So who are the FHBPA? Who put them in charge?

Every track has a HBPA,They are elected by the horseman to take care of everything for us,I do think they should have held a meeting to inform the horseman to let them know what was happening as this was something that needed to be addressed.I myself as a horseman think what they have done is terrible to all and wish it was over. I myself have lost several horses along with other horseman.The elected "powers that be" have more money then god and dont have to worry about where there next meal comes from.Being a little guy in this game,My opinion means squat and I feel even my vote on anything goes unnoticed.Please try to understand that we horseman are just as frustrated as the horseplayers.

cj
11-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I certainly understand. The little guy is always the one getting screwed. How are votes determined? Does your vote count as much as a guy with 50 horses?

rrbauer
11-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Hey Tommy,
I forget the guys name who is the head of the FLHBPA but I saw a recent quote from him pissing on the Louisiana horsemen for doing their ADW deal independent of the THG and all he could talk about was how much solidarity there was among the Calder horsemen and that ALL were in this to the bitter/sweet/whatever end. So I feel for your situation but can you guys do a "recall"...and, what do you need to get a voice out to the public on your position (if it's different from the "leadership").

CryingForTheHorses
11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey Tommy,
I forget the guys name who is the head of the FLHBPA but I saw a recent quote from him pissing on the Louisiana horsemen for doing their ADW deal independent of the THG and all he could talk about was how much solidarity there was among the Calder horsemen and that ALL were in this to the bitter/sweet/whatever end. So I feel for your situation but can you guys do a "recall"...and, what do you need to get a voice out to the public on your position (if it's different from the "leadership").

I know many trainers who are not happy with what is going on,The stance is if you dont like it then leave.Racing in south florida has its limits,You have nowhere else to go unless you ship north.I feel for them horseman in Ohio!Im not sure if your talking about Kent Sterling or Sam Gordon,BOTH have golden spoons in their mouths..Another thing that makes me wonder...How much are these guys going to profit from all of this?

startngate
11-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I know many trainers who are not happy with what is going on,The stance is if you dont like it then leave.Has anyone tried to replace the Board? Are they not elected positions?

It would seem to me that if the majority of horsemen don't approve of what's going on then they should be taking action. If the Board can't be ousted, then create another horsemen's group. As long as the new group gets the majority of votes, the (current) HBPA loses it's approval powers under the IHA.

I feel sorry for the individual horsemen that are suffering because the THG has thrown them under the bus ... with the cooperation of the HBPA's that have signed on with them.

But I don't feel sorry for the 'horsemen' as a whole in this battle. Their elected officials and representatives got them into this mess. Hopefully the next time elections are held the 'rank and file' will remember when they vote.

The head of the FL HBPA was wrong .. the Louisiana and Texas horsemen didn't throw the Calder horsemen under the bus ... they were all already there compliments of the THG. The LA and TX guys were just smart enough to get out from under it before they got killed ... like the Ohio horsemen were yesterday.

JustRalph
11-22-2008, 12:36 AM

being a resident of ohio, let me amend your comment.

The State Government of Ohio doesn't care about anything except the "State Government of Ohio"

47th worst business environment in the nation and they wonder why unemployment is creeping to 8%.......this month.

Government jobs are the only thing left

rastajenk
11-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Given the dates as it stands now, even mine is in jeopardy.

karlskorner
11-22-2008, 10:02 AM
from a recent article for ESPN

" Further, horsemen simply don't want to budge. Whether we're talking finances, drug policies or race days, horsemen remain a group firmly against change. They love long race meetings with short fields, reducing travel expenses and increasing their chance to pick up a piece of the purse with few rivals in the starting gate. They assume the game will always be here and that what provides their benefit trumps the fact that it's a death knoll for the track operators and fans "

That wraps it up in a nut shell.

cj
11-22-2008, 12:55 PM
from a recent article for ESPN

" Further, horsemen simply don't want to budge. Whether we're talking finances, drug policies or race days, horsemen remain a group firmly against change. They love long race meetings with short fields, reducing travel expenses and increasing their chance to pick up a piece of the purse with few rivals in the starting gate. They assume the game will always be here and that what provides their benefit trumps the fact that it's a death knoll for the track operators and fans "

That wraps it up in a nut shell.

Welcome on board Karl!

DeanT
11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I feel for Tom and others. Horse owners and trainers are businessmen and they like anyone know that there is a problem with ADW. I bet (dont know) that if you polled the grass roots as businessmen and asked them if they wanted ADW fixed by looking at a long term growth plan by maximizing the new betting medium, versus the "give us more money for the short term or we will shut off all signals in this declining economy" plan, I think the former would get some votes.

Tom
11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Ultimately, the only thing that matters is the players.
They all need us more than we need them. One frigging track simulcasting full fields could take care of us all. Look at this like natural selection. Ohio is going extinct, that means more horses for other tracks ( if you can really call Ohio horses horses!:rolleyes:) Then when Florida goes extinct, more move to Fairgrounds...wherever. They days of caring about the horsemen are long gone. they have shown us how little we need them, and they will never put the cork back in that bottle. Floria, California, Kentucky.....who needs 'em???