PDA

View Full Version : ads in DRF and American Turf Monthly

dav4463
11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
If I put an ad in DRF touting my "new super-secret method" that guarantees profits at the track and offered it for only $20 or $30, do you think I would make any money? :)

I saw one in American Turf Monthly where you buy something for $49 and you get this "proof book" that also gives you credit towards a $298 method that guarantees that you will win almost every race you play.

Do they make money with these ads?

Pace Cap'n
11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
If the ad repeats for any length of time, then the answer is "Yes".

LottaKash
11-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a JJ Tuttle plan........He wins every race too....:jump:

thruncy
11-21-2008, 12:34 AM
...The Harvard Concentric Computer (ATM's* circular slide rule that went 1 for 45. The "1" paid $4.60. Robert Elias's "Calcumeter(?)" "The strength of a Hercules; the wisdom of a Socrates." (Available for $100 & $20; resp.) Totally worthless. *ATM gave me a refund for this one.

DanG
11-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Didn’t most of us buy these things as kids? I know I did at around 8 or 9yo.
http://www.steevven1.com/images/unassembled%20snowman.jpg

Tom
11-21-2008, 07:38 AM
ALL handicapping books in one edition!
Hell, ALL BOOKS in one edition!

Donnie
11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Dav--
If you are interested in advertising in either, be sure to get their publication numbers. I, personally, would be interested in how many copies go to press every day/month. Cause then you need to take a very slight fraction of that for an anticipated response. Think of how many DRF's you see left at the track everyday, not to mention how many of their subscribers now have gone electronic....

saevena
11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
The best, most successful handicapper I've ever known (and I've met a lot of handicappers) thought he was doing a service to handicappers and placed about a half page ad (not in the classifieds) in the Racing Form several months ago, offering a FREE (it is/was FREE and he had nothing to sell), unedited manuscript on handicapping that he had written, and he received about 8 or 9 responses. The response resulted in his conclusion that there aren't enough serious handicappers out there to warrant writing a serious work on handicapping.

Tom Barrister
11-21-2008, 01:57 PM
The best, most successful handicapper I've ever known (and I've met a lot of handicappers) thought he was doing a service to handicappers and placed about a half page ad (not in the classifieds) in the Racing Form several months ago, offering a FREE (it is/was FREE and he had nothing to sell), unedited manuscript on handicapping that he had written, and he received about 8 or 9 responses. The response resulted in his conclusion that there aren't enough serious handicappers out there to warrant writing a serious work on handicapping.

The problem is that everybody is writing a handicapping book, and most of them are junk. The good ones get lost in the shuffle.

To sell a handicapping book nowadays, you need endorsements or good marketing. Get a positive forward/reference from such James Quinn or Andy Beyer, or put the DRF Press behind you, and your book will sell.

John
11-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Saevena, get that man to post here. He will get a thousand members requesting his manuscript.

:) :) :)

saevena
11-22-2008, 10:31 AM
John:

I did but it was quickly removed and I was advised that my posting had to be "approved." I never figured out how to get it "approved."

saevena
11-22-2008, 10:35 AM
John:

I posted info. regarding the availability of the manuscript, but, as noted above, the posting was removed.

raybo
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM
John:

I did but it was quickly removed and I was advised that my posting had to be "approved." I never figured out how to get it "approved."

Hmmm. Must be a PA policy requiring one to get prior approval from PA before posting it. If you still have the info contact PA and ask to get it approved. Surely a link to the info would be approved almost immediately, if not, I will start scratching my head and wondering, also.

John
11-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmmm. Must be a PA policy requiring one to get prior approval from PA before posting it. If you still have the info contact PA and ask to get it approved. Surely a link to the info would be approved almost immediately, if not, I will start scratching my head and wondering, also.

ME TOO.

Overlay
11-22-2008, 04:22 PM
The two sections I see in the Terms of Service pertaining to the situation are as follows:

You may not use the PaceAdvantage.Com Discussion Board to either advertise or promote commercial endeavors without permission from the PaceAdvantage.Com Administrator. Direct all such requests via e-mail to the PaceAdvantage.Com Board Administrator (==PA).

Special Note to software vendors, authors, selection services, etc., or any person or company that deals in products or services for sale. You are not allowed to post items for sale in this forum without permission from board Administrators. If you need promotion services, this forum can provide advertising options to suit any budget. Contact ads@paceadvantage.com for more information.

Since the information in question is (or, at least, was) being offered free, and not for commercial sale, I don't see a problem.

PaceAdvantage
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM
The only reason the info or link would have been removed is if there was some commercial nature to the thing.

Perhaps a mistake was made on my end. These things happen (although not very often :lol: ). Email me the info/link or private message it to me, and I'll review it again....

John
11-23-2008, 10:25 AM
The only reason the info or link would have been removed is if there was some commercial nature to the thing.

Perhaps a mistake was made on my end. These things happen (although not very often :lol: ). Email me the info/link or private message it to me, and I'll review it again....

Saevena, above is your answer ....

dav4463
11-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Hey Dav--
If you are interested in advertising in either, be sure to get their publication numbers. I, personally, would be interested in how many copies go to press every day/month. Cause then you need to take a very slight fraction of that for an anticipated response. Think of how many DRF's you see left at the track everyday, not to mention how many of their subscribers now have gone electronic....

I wasn't planning to advertise. I just wondered how many people get suckered in by outlandish claims. Some of them are legit products, but I get a kick out of those too good to be true claims.

Tom
11-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Back in the 70's, the first thing I did on Saturday was flip open to the first page of Aqueduct or Belmont to see what new book or system was being advertised! Saturday was the day for all the new stuff. Like Christmas every week. :D