PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Park for those who want to know

SandyE
03-28-2003, 01:12 PM
MONMOUTH OPENING DAY SET FOR MAY 24
Thursday, February 27, 2003
NJSEA & NJTHA AGREE ON RACING DATES

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and NJ Thoroughbred Horseman's Association will make a joint application to the New Jersey Racing Commission to amend the 2003 Thoroughbred racing dates. The new dates call for a reduction from 146 to 120 days, highlighted by a return to the traditional Monmouth Park opening day of Saturday, May 24th. In addition to the Memorial Day weekend opening, the Monmouth Park meet will include a guaranteed daily average overnight purse structure of $300,000 for the traditional 72-day portion of the meet.
'We want to do everything we can for Monmouth Park to offer the highest possible quality racing. By offering a high-level purse structure we are making a clear commitment to Thoroughbred racing in the State of New Jersey. It is an extraordinary step, but a risk worth taking,' said George Zoffinger, president and CEO of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
Dennis Drazin, chief negotiator for the NJTHA said, 'We are pleased to have reached an agreement that will guarantee horsemen quality purses and stabling from April 14th through December 1. This agreement is a first step in developing a long-term strategy for the entire racing industry. As a horse owner, I'm looking forward to Opening Day and a great season at beautiful Monmouth Park.'
'We felt a fixed starting date and guaranteed average overnight purse structure is vital for the horsemen's decision process. I am already excited about the possibilities,' said Bob Kulina, Vice President of Thoroughbred Racing.

Highlights of the application to the New Jersey Racing Commission will include:

· Saturday, May 24th opening of Monmouth Park running through September 28th (92 days)

· Stabling at Monmouth Park from April 14th to December 1st

· $300,000 daily average guaranteed overnight purses for the traditional 72-day Monmouth Park meet, $345,000 daily average with stakes included

· $4.2 million in stakes headed by the $1 million Haskell Invitational on August 3rd.

· Meadowlands meet: Opening Thursday, October 2nd thru Saturday, November 8th (28 days)

In addition, the NJSEA and NJTHA will jointly attempt to have the legislature amend the off-track wagering statute to allow for the reduction of 141 days to 120 for years 2003 and 2004, while increasing the number of years for the 141 minimum to four (2005-2008).
'I look forward to announcing future agreements that will be mutually beneficial for the entire racing industry. The other tracks and the Standardbred Breeders and Owners Association have been very helpful and supportive throughout this process. Once this is behind us we can unite and focus our efforts on necessary legislative amendments and new sources of purse dollars,' said Bruce Garland, Senior Vice President for Racing at the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

perhaps needs url for their website?

http://www.monmouthpark.com

for those who never been to and want to check out the place

How's that PA? How wicked of me eh? :D
GSTAWD!
SandyE@DMTC

alysheba88
03-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Very nice track. Quality of racing has slipped in recent years, but a must go to track if you havent checked it out yet.

SandyE
03-28-2003, 02:07 PM
By the by awesome username and hopefully with this year we shall see NJ racing at the NJ shore return to topnotch racing like it use to be.:)

The Shipper
03-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Hard to see the level of racing stay up
after August. The Meadowlands early portion
of their meet was fairly strong,
but if Monmouth Park gets that racing month,
I can hear them moan.

I like the sked though.
Thinking along the lines that The Meadowlands'
fall meet should be a "boutique" meet anyways.

Maybe this experiment will bode well
for a Breeders Cup at the shore in the near future.

:rolleyes:

SandyE
03-31-2003, 07:29 AM
That would be awesome if and when the Breeders cup is held at Monmouth Park. I remember reading last year about the BC people or whatever their called being here at the Jersey shore.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sorry about that
Oh for what it's worth that expresion I used in my first post well it doesn't mean wicked doesn't equate bad but good.
:cool:
GSTAWD!
SandyE

Dave Schwartz
03-31-2003, 11:40 AM
I did a trackside seminar at Monmouth in 1991 or 1992. It was the nicest track I have ever attended, although I admit I don't go to racetracks much any more.

We had 2 "trackside boxes," which translated to "private rooms" which included lunch service and a very uncrowded ticket window area. Each box held 8-10 comfortably.

The cost for the day was amazingly little... $50 per box which included the admission to the clubhouse and programs for each person. (That was not $50 per person, but $50 per box!)

Monmouth makes me think of Fenway Park... old, historical, and lots of green.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

SandyE
03-31-2003, 12:46 PM
From the sounds of it you had a good day, outside of punting that is. Dave your name sounds famialair to me. You don't supose we could have met some where? Or perhaps your last name is common place? Back in 92 I came back up to NJ from florida due to a death in the family, that's the year I lost my Grandfather. I wonder if the price of the box are still the same for this year or not. Probably could get 8 to 10 people to attend a days' card at Monmouth Park.

GSTAWD!
SandyE

The Shipper
04-01-2003, 09:39 PM
>> Dave your name sounds familiar to me. You don't supose we could have met some where? Or perhaps your last name is common place?

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Dave Schwartz is a meteorologist on The Weather Channel (when not frequenting the Netcapper forum) :D

SandyE
04-01-2003, 10:41 PM
So that's how I reconized his name. And here I thought he had some racing connections. lol at me eh?
The shipper that's an intriiquing username. Probably from a punting point of view rather then someone who does a lot of shipping. :D For this coming Saturday I can safely say I will be working the hours I was originly slated to work, which means I'll be getting off at 3 instead of 10PM that day. Without going into details a co-worker's parent passed away on March 31rst, which means no day off for me and one other person.
GSTAWD!
SandyE

The Shipper
04-02-2003, 07:24 PM
You can't bypass Saturday's Oaklawn stakes.
An annual shipping pattern will pop up.

Now I'm back to UPS.com :D

SandyE
04-03-2003, 08:20 AM
what time the race is and what channel the race is on.
Oh that's so right even when and right at the moment I forget the horse and rider's name were shippers, with the exception of the rider I do believe he was local. :D
GSTAWD!
SandyE

MANOWAR
04-08-2003, 08:31 AM
I'll tell you what they should do with the Meadowlands.

Is get rid of Harness racing ALTOGETHER and give the harness dates to the Thoroughbreds! Harness racing SUCKS and is BORING as SOCCER!

A 28 day meet, HOW RIDICULOUS!

The next thing you know, The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority will eliminate thoroughbred racing at The Big M altogether.

28 days this year, 14 days in 2004, 7 days in 2005, and then NO RACING at all. I know I'm wrong about this last part, but somewhere down the road it could happen, and that's what scares me.

alysheba88
04-08-2003, 09:47 AM
I dont play harness racing myself. But harness racing at the Meadowlands is World Class. Literally. No finer racing in the world. To eliminate that is illogical to me. What they should eliminate is all their t-bred dates. And again, I am a t-bred player saying that.

Would rather see a May-Nov Monmouth meet and thats it. Could put more $ into the purses and have better quality and fuller fields.