PDA

View Full Version : T-V Converter Boxes

toetoe
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
What is up with this cr@p ? Is the changeover some national security issue ? We already KNOW it'll put big money into somebody's pocket. The silence around this is deafening.

I applied, EVER so politely, for a converter box voucher from some website. I was disqualified (I felt so NAUGHTY ... :blush: ) for having a mail drop as my address, which they somehow knew. Not sure why, but I did not want to give them that information, even though they asked ahead of time.

I can regard this as an opportunity to live without TV, which has somehow evolved into something that charges more and gives much less. RTN is the only thing I would miss.

I'm thinking all of us should ask for two converter boxes, presuming it's a 100% certainty that we'll get reimbursed. Then, we can give the boxes to schmucks like me, the people that presumably have something to "lose."

Any ideas what is going on here ? I mean, besides the money grab ?

Tom
11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
You don't need them if you have cable of satellite, only for over-the-air.
Yes, it is ridiculous, stupid, a bone to someone to make oney, and typical of our AHOLE government - doing stupid things, for stupid reasons, stupidly.

Warm up for the Obama years. :D

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2008, 08:22 PM
I believe this is only for people still using antennas on their roof or rabbit ears.

LottaKash
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I believe this is only for people still using antennas on their roof or rabbit ears.

Yes, that is it.....

It is not a scheme, it is something that has been on the books and works for some long time now......And it's about time, all digital tv in a computer/digital world makes for a great compatibilty issue that is solved....This is a good thing..

If you have an older ANALOG TV, and you want to view the New DIGITAL STANDARD by using an antenna then you will need a converer box.....These are the only tv's that will require the converter box...

If you have an older ANALOG TV, and you have cable or satelite service then you wil have no problem viewing digital tv thru your analog tv.......

Most new tv's are all digital or hybrid analong/digital , and no converter box is requied other than the decoder supplied by the service you are subscribes to.

Most tv's will experience at least a minimal new and better picture viewing experience.....

best,

chickenhead
11-21-2008, 01:56 AM
my poor grandmother went and bought a new TV because of this, I wish she had consulted with me first. I don't think they've done a very good job of explaining that it will only effect approximately 13 people nationwide.

I didn't have the heart to explain it to her after the fact. Why spoil her new TV enjoyment.