PDA

View Full Version : Annoying race calls

Marshall Bennett
11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Which announcers annoy you ? For me its easy ... Finger Lakes . I try to grab the remote and press mute before the gate opens and he yells " And there they goooooooooooo " :mad:

MickJ26
11-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Which announcers annoy you ? For me its easy ... Finger Lakes . I try to grab the remote and press mute before the gate opens and he yells " And there they goooooooooooo " :mad:

I like Tony Calo.
Every race caller needs their signature call.

cnollfan
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
1. Terry Wallace
2. Terry Wallace
3. Terry Wallace

Aside from that, general pet peeves:

Not knowing which horse is which.
Announcing the race you expect to have been run rather than the race that is actually happening.
Calling the runaway winner over and over again while ignoring the rest of the field (Denman, Rodman)
Too many unnecessary words ("and the field has begun their journey down the backstretch")
Unintelligible (The Woodbine guy)
Bored (Marshall Cassidy)
Too excited (Vic Stauffer. Hi, Vic, I know you read the board :>)
Too much chit-chat between races (Allen at Canterbury)

Favorites: Michael Wrona and Luke Krytbosch, r.i.p. Frank Mirimaldi, when he does Rodney Dangerfield, is hilarious. John Dooley is solid.

I'm going to blow whatever tiny credibility I have on this board with this confession -- two announcers I don't mind are Mike Battaglia and Dick Grunder. Battaglia leaves out lots of useful information, like where most of the horses are, but at least he doesn't babble and I can understand him. Grunder, although still prone to occasional serious gaffes, is vastly improved.

HuggingTheRail
11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
1. Terry Wallace
2. Terry Wallace
3. Terry Wallace

Aside from that, general pet peeves:

Not knowing which horse is which.
Announcing the race you expect to have been run rather than the race that is actually happening.
Calling the runaway winner over and over again while ignoring the rest of the field (Denman, Rodman)
Too many unnecessary words ("and the field has begun their journey down the backstretch")
Unintelligible (The Woodbine guy)
Bored (Marshall Cassidy)
Too excited (Vic Stauffer. Hi, Vic, I know you read the board :>)
Too much chit-chat between races (Allen at Canterbury)

Favorites: Michael Wrona and Luke Krytbosch, r.i.p. Frank Mirimaldi, when he does Rodney Dangerfield, is hilarious. John Dooley is solid.

I'm going to blow whatever tiny credibility I have on this board with this confession -- two announcers I don't mind are Mike Battaglia and Dick Grunder. Battaglia leaves out lots of useful information, like where most of the horses are, but at least he doesn't babble and I can understand him. Grunder, although still prone to occasional serious gaffes, is vastly improved.

Can I add a pet peeve to that list...

those who call photo finishes incorrectly... (Dan Jukich, Hastings)

Nacumi
11-20-2008, 03:40 PM
That's easy.
Mike Battaglia
Mike Battaglia
MIKE BATTAGLIA
:bang:

FantasticDan
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM

I think Calo did an excellent job in his first year at FL.. he's informative, enthusiastic, and never seems to phone in a race. I've been very happy with him.

I don't love his signature opening, but I don't dislike it either. I daresay that I like it better than Ross Morton's opening, which was a very loud and abrupt "They're off!" Many's the time I almost spilled my beverage while sitting in the grandstand, it was so loud and sudden.. :D

toetoe
11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
cnollfan,

Wish I could say your argument is ... GAINING GROUND.

I would not classify MBatt as a contender ... FOR THE LEAD.

We have all the rest, AND THEN WE COME BACK TO ... (8-months-pregnant pause) ... Mike Battaglia. :faint:

Cangamble
11-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Dan Loiselle is very annoying when announcing mile and a sixteenth races.
He sounds like it is unbelievable that the horses are going around 50 to the half..."they are walking out there" amongst other things he says. He does this over and over and over again.
But it is normal for Woodbine halfs. That is how the jockeys ride the poly now.
And he seems shocked that horses come from behind with those halfs...again, this happens all the time as well.
He should really just take the other road, and be amazed when they do a 48 and change half or better.

DanG
11-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I think Calo did an excellent job in his first year at FL.. he's informative, enthusiastic, and never seems to phone in a race. I've been very happy with him.
Agreed, he is excellent.

I could have sworn I recognize his voice from Jai Alai. Does anyone know if he announced at any frontons or am I having Bolivar / Joey flashbacks?
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/320/320481/folders/259213/2105693JOEY1.jpg

toetoe
11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
One glorious day in the '90's, I was present at GGF when Tony Calo trotted out ALL :4: of his crutch phrases:

"... killer crossover ..." as an outside speedball grabbed a clear lead and dived railward;

"These two together as one" as another speedball got to even terms with the overcrosser, on the backstretch;

"WHO wants it more ?" as two runners vied in upper stretch;

"... FRONT and center" as one runner pressed his advantage down the outer.

Another Calocism that was fresh and cute 100 repetitions ago:
"If it was (sic) a fight, they'd STOP it."

In all fairness, imagine the blissful quietude if I remembered how ill equipped I myself am for racecalling, and just STIFLED myself. :)

cnollfan
11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Toetoe,

You are so right. But at least, when Battaglia says a horse is "gaining ground," said horse usually is, in fact, gaining ground.

saratoga guy
11-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I've said it before, but this whole notion of annoying racecallers is completely foreign to me.

I might get frustrated by an occasional mis-call that screws up my race-watching of a particular race -- but overall racecallers are kind of "audio wallpaper" to me. I'm just interested in getting an assist if I'm having trouble picking my horse up visually, beyond that it's all background noise.

A particularly good announcer can, I think, inject some real excitement into a race -- but part of that definition of "good" is that you don't realize it's happening. So again, the announcer shouldn't be standing out because of it.

On the flip side though, I really can't remember ever hearing a professional announcer I considered "bad" or "annoying".

ezrabrooks
11-20-2008, 06:37 PM
What is it? Once a month there is a thread to pound race callers. I know I am in the minority, but I like both Mike and Terry...they have their own styles, and get the job down.

Ez

tribecaagent
11-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Keith Jones at Philly Park.

If we were to meet, I'd ask him kindly, to please blow his nose BEFORE calling a race.
Thanks Keith.

BELMONT 6-6-09
11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Definately John Imbriale in New York. Most annoying when he gets excited at the latter part of the race. For me, a no volume situation.

Marshall Bennett
11-20-2008, 07:14 PM
What is it? Once a month there is a thread to pound race callers.

Ez
The idea is not to pound race caller(s) . Well , maybe one or two . Thought it might be interesting to see which of the many race callers make folks wanna throw up when they hear them . :D For the sake of sounding negative , we'll just assume all others are great .

Pace Cap'n
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM

Ez

More like once a week. Can't the mods just "sticky" an announcers thread?

DanG
11-20-2008, 07:32 PM
In all fairness;

I think Vic Stauffer (and the other PA members who call for a living) have requested these threads on a monthly basis. I believe they can use the blitzkrieg on their profession as a crowbar in labor negotiations. :cool:

cj
11-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Well, now people can hear them. You certainly couldn't at the track "in the old days".

Norm
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow ! ... somebody who agrees with me. Actually, I think Tony Calo is an excellent race caller with his explicit word pictures of the race, but he does annoy the hell out of me with his "There they gooooooooo" Yer s'posed to say "and they're off" dammit ! It's tradition. :D

NY BRED
11-21-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm sorry to say that while John Imbriale in NY appears to be a good
guy, I simply have to rate him as one of the most annoying announcers in the
U.S.

I do recall his resignation speech on Fox NY, still trying to understand how
continues to call races...

boomman
11-21-2008, 06:15 AM
In all fairness;

I think Vic Stauffer (and the other PA members who call for a living) have requested these threads on a monthly basis. I believe they can use the blitzkrieg on their profession as a crowbar in labor negotiations. :cool:

Dan: I must admit I hadn't thought of that, but you could be on to something!:lol:

Boomer

Tom Barrister
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Agreed, he is excellent.

I could have sworn I recognize his voice from Jai Alai. Does anyone know if he announced at any frontons or am I having Bolivar / Joey flashbacks?

You're probably thinking of longtime Dania announcer "Big Dave" Lemmon, who has a voice similar to Calo's, but not as deep or full.

DanG
11-21-2008, 11:56 AM
You're probably thinking of longtime Dania announcer "Big Dave" Lemmon, who has a voice similar to Calo's, but not as deep or full.
Thanks Tom; that must be it.

Incredibly similar voice and inflection.

ALostTexan
11-22-2008, 02:39 AM
That guy from Yavapai Downs sort of gets to me....

Marshall Bennett
11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Btw , while Finger Lakes ( Tony Calo ) seems irritating to me with his ( There they goooooo ) call from the gate , on the other hand , Denman's use of the same line IMO is his signature , outstanding !! Unfortunately for me with Denman , its downhill from there ....

broadreach
11-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I'd like to hear racecallers give us the exact fractional split, not the rounded off figure. Example, Ted Durkin just called R2 Aqueduct stating they ran their 'first quarter in 22 4/5s', but we see on the monitor the time was actually 22.96. All callers seem to do this, why? A call of 'a half in 47 flat' is never 47.00 etc. If they have they same info we can see, then why not say that.
Just my little beef:)

boomman
11-22-2008, 02:21 PM
That guy from Yavapai Downs sort of gets to me....

Thanks for the "endorsement" Steve :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

ALostTexan
11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the "endorsement" Steve :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

Yeah, just had to mess with you a bit. We have to chat again sometime about a meeting in February where I am speaking. I'll give you the details soon...

Alyblakester
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Battaglia is the most annoying for me. I can tolerate him much more on tv big race shows when he handicaps. Somewhat entertaining when he and Bob Neumeier compare notes.

Nmytwenties
12-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I think the majority of announcers at present are pretty good at their craft, some I like better than other but only three I can make any complaints about.

1- Hawthorne's announcer - The only problem I have with him is really lack of any creativity. That might be the way the Chicago betting public likes it though. He isn't bad in my opinion, just kinda plain jane in his calls.

2- Tampa Bay's announcer - The guy seems to scream the entire race call, from start to finish to the point its annoying.

3- By far the worst announcer who really just stunk in nearly all aspects of the craft was someone I have heard zero comments on while reading this board over the summer. Worst announcer of the history of racing award has to go to whoever called the races this summer at River Downs!!! I figure that many posters on this board passed on RD with them not being available on ADW so maybe you didn't hear him, but man that guy was really really horrid.
Gaps in calls,missed horses, only called the first three horses, way too excited in the stretch, and had to shout Perry Outzs's name with an annoying clamor and picked out a certain horse and every time he called it he mentioned the jockey on the horse every call of the race. Only River Downs would bring him back for another year, if they even race.

They had a really good announcer the year before, Jason Beem the guy at PM, and Bill Downes a competent guy as well announced there but they must have cut the budget some more this year in that department.

Imriledup
12-03-2008, 08:29 PM
The most annoying things announcers do is to call photos and are wrong.

v j stauffer
12-03-2008, 08:35 PM
The most annoying things announcers do is to call photos and are wrong.

I sure get annoyed when I do that.

thespaah
12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I sure get annoyed when I do that.DO you always "take a shot at it" or if it's too close to call you say so?

v j stauffer
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
DO you always "take a shot at it" or if it's too close to call you say so?

Not always but most of the time. I will say " I think" or "Maybe" as my out though.

Racecaller CYA.

thespaah
12-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Not always but most of the time. I will say " I think" or "Maybe" as my out though.

Racecaller CYA.Ahh yes, the old racecaller safety valve. Very good.

JustRalph
12-04-2008, 12:55 AM
3- By far the worst announcer who really just stunk in nearly all aspects of the craft was someone I have heard zero comments on while reading this board over the summer. Worst announcer of the history of racing award has to go to whoever called the races this summer at River Downs!!! I figure that many posters on this board passed on RD with them not being available on ADW so maybe you didn't hear him, but man that guy was really really horrid. Gaps in calls,missed horses, only called the first three horses, way too excited in the stretch, and had to shout Perry Outzs's name with an annoying clamor and picked out a certain horse and every time he called it he mentioned the jockey on the horse every call of the race. Only River Downs would bring him back for another year, if they even race..

If I remember right, I think this race caller is a member here??? somebody correct me if I am wrong...........but maybe he will chime in.............

rastajenk
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
He was; then he quit RD. The guy the poster is complaining about (probably) is not an announcer by trade, he just filled in until a replacement could be found (his efforts just go to show how hard a job it is). The midsummer replacement, Pete Aeillo, is a young up-and-comer, a protege of Luke K., with a lot of upside. Put him on your "watch list."

ALostTexan
12-04-2008, 09:51 AM
He was; then he quit RD. The guy the poster is complaining about (probably) is not an announcer by trade, he just filled in until a replacement could be found (his efforts just go to show how hard a job it is). The midsummer replacement, Pete Aeillo, is a young up-and-comer, a protege of Luke K., with a lot of upside. Put him on your "watch list."

I know Pete, and I don't think he post on here, so I think that he must be referring to his predecessor. I don't mind his calls, and I got to hear a fair amount of them since he called races on the Arizona Fair Circuit much like Luke.

Bruddah
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM
People being critical of my ability, when 999.99 out of/1000 couldn't come close to doing my job, even half as well.

I admit, I have trouble with a caller's accents and understanding the race, but I have never been critical of a Race caller beyond the ability to understand the call. When it comes to mistakes, I can go with the flow because mistakes can happen when a Caller has thousandths of a second to connect the brain and voice. In other words they are Human and sh*t happens.

No matter who the caller or their venue, I can't be crititcal of something I can't do. All I ask is, don't make me have to ask myself, "What the F*%ck did he just say?".

My Best Wishes and Regards to all who call the Races. Even the one's I can't understand.

strapper
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I would rather not criticize any announcers out there plying their trade. Obviously there are the elite announcers at the bigger tracks. The really good ones have that little intangible, either something in their natural delivery and voice quality and/or the ability to describe races in a distinctive fashion that sets them apart and emits the excitement of the run to the wire.

I will say this: it's much tougher calling owners silks than house silks and it is harder to get through an overflow field of 12-14 horses or the nightmarish 20 that run on the 1st Sat. in May

v j stauffer
12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I would rather not criticize any announcers out there plying their trade. Obviously there are the elite announcers at the bigger tracks. The really good ones have that little intangible, either something in their natural delivery and voice quality and/or the ability to describe races in a distinctive fashion that sets them apart and emits the excitement of the run to the wire.

I will say this: it's much tougher calling owners silks than house silks and it is harder to get through an overflow field of 12-14 horses or the nightmarish 20 that run on the 1st Sat. in May

I completely disagree about house silks. I hate them. I think any announcer on this board will agree. Every race looks the same. Each horse has a different silk every time they run. Much much rather have owners silks.

Also. I'd much rather call 14 sprinting than 5 routing. The sprint helps with rhytm, flow and gives me the opportunity to just report the race rather than searching for something to say. Which can result in contrived crap.

As for the 1st Sat. in May. One man's nightmare is another's dream. I'd love to have just one crack at the Derby. What a gas that would be!!

strapper
12-04-2008, 01:08 PM
A small field going a route is a test for the announcer I agree. You don't want "dead air" but you probably don't want to keep running through the field that many times. There are some races where the order hardly changes, too, and that gets to sound repetitive, but I find speed in short fields stays very well and not much really happens.

mountainman
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
People being critical of my ability, when 999.99 out of/1000 couldn't come close to doing my job, even half as well.

And many of those 999.99 would flub the call only because they have never trained at being an announcer. Sure, top-echelon announcers have talent, but racecalling is an aquired skill, developed and honed through tons of practice and experience. Do you hold your plumber in similar awe simply because he's fixed more pipes than you? It always amuses me when some "lucky" fan is allowed one "make a wish" shot at calling a race, and his abysmal failure is then taken as proof that the task is akin to impossible. Of COURSE it's impossible-for somebody who's never attempted it before. Just like benching 250 is out of the question if you've never lifted weights.

njcurveball
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I completely disagree about house silks. I hate them. I think any announcer on this board will agree.

Do you think there is a reason why all players on a sports team wear the same uniforms? I doubt it is for the "owner". It is for the FANS. You know the ones paying the bills. The people who NEED to be involved, because if they leave, no one will be there to pay anyone involved, including the announcer.

The absolute BEST thing racing could do is go to a format like Mountaineer where we can KNOW the race we just tuned in has #1 in red, #2 in white, etc.

You seem to be in the majority of race track employees that cannot see the difference between racing in 1960 and racing in 2010.

I will help you there. In 1960, 100% of the fans were on track, they had 20 minutes between races to actually read the silk colors in the program, and they actually would know by looking if it were a Dan Lasater horse, or some other famous stable like Calumet. They walked out to the paddock and watched the horses warm up. Again they accounted for 100% of the handle.

In 2010, bettors watch multiple tracks, many times on fuzzy Internet screens with video that may only be 2 inches by 3 inches large. It is WONDERFUL to know the small red blurry blip on the screen is #1 and your $2 is on it.

Even the best eyes cannot read a number on a blurry 2 by 3 internet screen. And those same bettors need to know quickly or they cannot flip to the next track and handicap since tracks often show replays of a horse winning by 10 lengths and completely ignore the tight photo for 2nd or 3rd.

Oh, that is another thing. There are exotic bets in 2010 and people care as much about who finishes 2nd or 3rd as they do about the winner.

I understand you are "old school" and maybe in 1950 we would have a cold yahoo on the porch chatting after the races. Unfortunately in 2010, after your races are over, there are lots more tracks to bet.

Jim

boomman
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I completely disagree about house silks. I hate them. I think any announcer on this board will agree. Every race looks the same. Each horse has a different silk every time they run. Much much rather have owners silks.

Also. I'd much rather call 14 sprinting than 5 routing. The sprint helps with rhythm, flow and gives me the opportunity to just report the race rather than searching for something to say. Which can result in contrived crap.

As for the 1st Sat. in May. One man's nightmare is another's dream. I'd love to have just one crack at the Derby. What a gas that would be!!

I've worked at tracks that are about half and half on owners silks and house silks, and they are both fine with me. I do know that the fans that I have spoken with in length prefer house silks because it is much easier for them to follow their horse in a race and they absolutely hate it when events like the Breeders Cup run horses with all the same color saddle cloths! As for short fields, I agree they suck! I've been fortunate that I haven't had a lot of 5 horse fields to deal with in my career and have had a lot of 12 horse fields when I called the New Mexico State Fair at Albuquerque back in the "glory" days and 14 horse fields when I was at Retama Park in San Antonio, and they really are a lot more fun to call................;)

Boomer

Nmytwenties
12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Yavapai connections seem to use the house silks quite a bit and you do a really solid job Boomer.

I am not going to take back anything I said about RD's announcer,at least the one I heard the few times I went there for live racing, regardless of if he posts on here or not. I certainly don't want to come off as abrasive,especially since I am new to the board and I recognize how difficult a craft race calling is. But I swear the first time I heard the guy (didn't know that two different guys called races there) I thought it was some kinda guest announcer from the crowd who had won some sort of contest. As I said it is my opinion that most of the current track announcers I am familiar with are pretty damn good.

I guess my biggest criticsm goes to RD even over the announcer there this past year. To my knowledge, the guy who called the races there in 2007, Jason Beem, was not working anywhere else over the summer. I have no idea why they wouldn't have brought him back if they didn't have another proven guy they were going to go with. Just another example of the nickel and dime operation they are running there. The only reason RD operation doesn't get more guff about how they keep nickel and diming is that their neighbors in Columbus really outdo even them and they are much more abrasive about it. I am just sick of these two tracks having this attitude that if they don't get slots they aren't even going to try to improve the product for the fans. The potential of the industry here is excellent, especially at RD, and while I have even more criticism for the cursed politicians that won't let the tracks compete on a even playing field with slots blessed neighbors, I still think their is a kinda we give up attitude with the owners of Beulah and RD. If that truly is the case they should sell the tracks to people who will try to improve the product through hard work and creativity.

strapper
12-04-2008, 06:49 PM
In your experience going to OTB parlors do they use the sound system to put the calls up for certain tracks when they are running; or do they leave it up to the patrons to turn their own tv's on for sound. Most of the ones I have been to you hear NOTHING....and that is a crying shame.

boomman
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Yavapai connections seem to use the house silks quite a bit and you do a really solid job Boomer.

I am not going to take back anything I said about RD's announcer,at least the one I heard the few times I went there for live racing, regardless of if he posts on here or not. I certainly don't want to come off as abrasive,especially since I am new to the board and I recognize how difficult a craft race calling is. But I swear the first time I heard the guy (didn't know that two different guys called races there) I thought it was some kinda guest announcer from the crowd who had won some sort of contest. As I said it is my opinion that most of the current track announcers I am familiar with are pretty damn good.

I guess my biggest criticsm goes to RD even over the announcer there this past year. To my knowledge, the guy who called the races there in 2007, Jason Beem, was not working anywhere else over the summer. I have no idea why they wouldn't have brought him back if they didn't have another proven guy they were going to go with. Just another example of the nickel and dime operation they are running there. The only reason RD operation doesn't get more guff about how they keep nickel and diming is that their neighbors in Columbus really outdo even them and they are much more abrasive about it. I am just sick of these two tracks having this attitude that if they don't get slots they aren't even going to try to improve the product for the fans. The potential of the industry here is excellent, especially at RD, and while I have even more criticism for the cursed politicians that won't let the tracks compete on a even playing field with slots blessed neighbors, I still think their is a kinda we give up attitude with the owners of Beulah and RD. If that truly is the case they should sell the tracks to people who will try to improve the product through hard work and creativity.

Nmy: First of all, thanks for the fine comments on my work at Yavapai, I appreciate it. Now for the River Downs situation which I am very familiar with as I was the one who recommended Jason Beem to the powers that be at River when he got the job in 2007. I agree that he did a great job there (and made me proud in the process), and in fact, River Downs management LOVED him and brought him back in 2008, only for him to have to resign due to illness. I am happy to report to you that he is now calling the races at Portland and doing much better health wise. I think Ed Meyer (one of the publicity guys) had to fill in until Pete Aiello got there from the racetrack industry program. Ed is not an announcer and was "game" just to give it a shot in what was an emergency fill-in situation. I can assure you that Vince Cyster (the simucast coordinator at River who I knew when he was at Turf Paradise in Phoenix) is very concerned about the product they send out as well as Director of Publicity John Englehardt who does a great job in the "Regular Guy" handicapping show. Their television truck director Jason Goemmer also worked with me at Yavapai and he is a true professional. So as you can see, I must respectfully disagree on your assessment at River Downs.......They DO care! :ThmbUp:

Boomer

Nmytwenties
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
They ususally pipe in the sound from tracks running at the time on the speakers at RD. As I am not a harness bettor, this gives me the chance to hear the guy at The Meadows. I know many on this board detest him but the guy cracks me up. Believe me many at the track find him annoying as well but that seems to make me like him more, I get to chuckle at the people saying "shut up!!!"...lol.... And I always get a table with a TV and they all have good sound even though there was a 2 or 3 week period during the summer when the signals were very unreliable.

I would agree 300% on John Englehart Boomer. He gets on local talk radio to promote things especially when a fellow by the name of Andy Furman had a show. He has true passion for the sport and RD is lucky to have him. If River ever loses John I would say they are totally sunk. I have to lessen my criticism on the announcing situation quite a bit under the circumstances you talked about as I was not aware of them. But after the untimely death of Luke K., Ellis Park made arrangements in a timely manner to bring in Bill Downes and had Mike Battaglia fill in in between. So much of my criticism would be taken back but not all. Hardly a summer goes by without RD's escalators going out in the grandstand and when they go out they stay out for weeks. I am not trying to say that RD is not a track that deserves no patronage as I am a patron there. Maybe I should be less critical especially since the state of Ohio is truly anti-horse racing (nothing you can say will convince me otherwise on that point..lol) and they have very little support.

boomman
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
They ususally pipe in the sound from tracks running at the time on the speakers at RD. As I am not a harness bettor, this gives me the chance to hear the guy at The Meadows. I know many on this board detest him but the guy cracks me up. Believe me many at the track find him annoying as well but that seems to make me like him more, I get to chuckle at the people saying "shut up!!!"...lol.... And I always get a table with a TV and they all have good sound even though there was a 2 or 3 week period during the summer when the signals were very unreliable.

I would agree 300% on John Englehart Boomer. He gets on local talk radio to promote things especially when a fellow by the name of Andy Furman had a show. He has true passion for the sport and RD is lucky to have him. If River ever loses John I would say they are totally sunk. I have to lessen my criticism on the announcing situation quite a bit under the circumstances you talked about as I was not aware of them. But after the untimely death of Luke K., Ellis Park made arrangements in a timely manner to bring in Bill Downes and had Mike Battaglia fill in in between. So much of my criticism would be taken back but not all. Hardly a summer goes by without RD's escalators going out in the grandstand and when they go out they stay out for weeks. I am not trying to say that RD is not a track that deserves no patronage as I am a patron there. Maybe I should be less critical especially since the state of Ohio is truly anti-horse racing (nothing you can say will convince me otherwise on that point..lol) and they have very little support.

nmy: The announcer you're referring to at the Meadows is Roger Huston, who has an enthusiasm that almost makes me look I don't like horse racing in comparison, (and we ALL know that isn't true LOL)....I do a little bit of an impersonation of him when he says: THA-REE QUARTERS IN ONE-TWENTY- SEVEN- AND THREEEEEEEEE sorry you can't hear the voice inflection! Love his enthusiasm!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

thespaah
12-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Also. I'd much rather call 14 sprinting than 5 routing. The sprint helps with rhytm, flow and gives me the opportunity to just report the race rather than searching for something to say. Which can result in contrived crap.

Oh yeah I agree. You guys have to memorize colors fro each rider on a race. Then forget them for the subsequent races. How the hell can you do that if every race has jocks wearing the same colored silks. Don't know his name but the caller at Mountaineer has to deal with this with a year round race calendar...Sheesh!!!... Vic, how many times during a sprint do you give each horse a call. Once? Or Twice? Can't imagine having time to call them all a third time...

thespaah
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Do you think there is a reason why all players on a sports team wear the same uniforms? I doubt it is for the "owner". It is for the FANS. You know the ones paying the bills. The people who NEED to be involved, because if they leave, no one will be there to pay anyone involved, including the announcer.

The absolute BEST thing racing could do is go to a format like Mountaineer where we can KNOW the race we just tuned in has #1 in red, #2 in white, etc.

You seem to be in the majority of race track employees that cannot see the difference between racing in 1960 and racing in 2010.

I will help you there. In 1960, 100% of the fans were on track, they had 20 minutes between races to actually read the silk colors in the program, and they actually would know by looking if it were a Dan Lasater horse, or some other famous stable like Calumet. They walked out to the paddock and watched the horses warm up. Again they accounted for 100% of the handle.

In 2010, bettors watch multiple tracks, many times on fuzzy Internet screens with video that may only be 2 inches by 3 inches large. It is WONDERFUL to know the small red blurry blip on the screen is #1 and your $2 is on it.

Even the best eyes cannot read a number on a blurry 2 by 3 internet screen. And those same bettors need to know quickly or they cannot flip to the next track and handicap since tracks often show replays of a horse winning by 10 lengths and completely ignore the tight photo for 2nd or 3rd.

Oh, that is another thing. There are exotic bets in 2010 and people care as much about who finishes 2nd or 3rd as they do about the winner.

I understand you are "old school" and maybe in 1950 we would have a cold yahoo on the porch chatting after the races. Unfortunately in 2010, after your races are over, there are lots more tracks to bet.

JimGotta ask....Where are you going with this post?
Sports teams were identical uniforms but have individual numbers on those unis. Sporting events last three hours. A horse race can be over in 58 seconds (5f sprints) The guys calling sports games have spot sheets and the "guys in the truck" helping them out.

njcurveball
12-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Sports teams were identical uniforms but have individual numbers on those unis. Sporting events last three hours. A horse race can be over in 58 seconds (5f sprints) The guys calling sports games have spot sheets and the "guys in the truck" helping them out.

You are mixing a lot of things into one sentence that were never there in the first place.

Very simply, the point with sports teams is that the owner, even though they pay millions of dollars can NOT pick the teams "silks". He cannot dress A-rod different than Jeter if he likes either.

Teams wear standard colors, whether it be football, basketball, hockey, etc. This is so the fans can easily distinguish who is on "their" team.

As for the numbers, even though that was not even mentioned in my post, the point there is also Alex Rodriguez despite making $25 million has to play without his name on his back. That is the STANDARD Yankee uniform and tough on him if he doesn't like it.

Standard uniforms are NOT for the Owners or Players, they are for the fans. Standard jockey silks are also for the fans. They are NEEDED due to simulcasting. If tracks want to make the money from simulcasting, then they should accomodate those fans.

As for the truck and the 3 hour stuff you added, that was never mentioned in my post and is hardly relevant since the race-caller in this thread PREFERS the challenge of having the same colors on multiple jockeys. He needs no truck, and he probably does a great job.

However, in this day and age, I would guess 50% or more of the crowd that bet on the race watches it with no sound. Perhaps that number is even greater at smaller tracks where 90%+ of the handle comes in from simulcasting.

maryforney
12-05-2008, 12:33 AM
For all you Vic Stauffer lovers: check this out! (http://maryforney.blogspot.com/2008/12/interview-with-vic-stauffer-hollywood.html)

jballscalls
12-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Nmy: First of all, thanks for the fine comments on my work at Yavapai, I appreciate it. Now for the River Downs situation which I am very familiar with as I was the one who recommended Jason Beem to the powers that be at River when he got the job in 2007. I agree that he did a great job there (and made me proud in the process), and in fact, River Downs management LOVED him and brought him back in 2008, only for him to have to resign due to illness. I am happy to report to you that he is now calling the races at Portland and doing much better health wise. I think Ed Meyer (one of the publicity guys) had to fill in until Pete Aiello got there from the racetrack industry program. Ed is not an announcer and was "game" just to give it a shot in what was an emergency fill-in situation. I can assure you that Vince Cyster (the simucast coordinator at River who I knew when he was at Turf Paradise in Phoenix) is very concerned about the product they send out as well as Director of Publicity John Englehardt who does a great job in the "Regular Guy" handicapping show. Their television truck director Jason Goemmer also worked with me at Yavapai and he is a true professional. So as you can see, I must respectfully disagree on your assessment at River Downs.......They DO care! :ThmbUp:

Boomer

Boom,

you got everything right in there except 1 thing, You helped me get the job in 2006!!

JustRalph
12-05-2008, 02:32 PM
I would agree 300% on John Englehart Boomer. He gets on local talk radio to promote things especially when a fellow by the name of Andy Furman had a show. He has true passion for the sport and RD is lucky to have him. .

I miss the fur ball................. Englehart and Furman were the only ones who ever covered Horse Racing ............

Alyblakester
12-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Just want to say I do like Vic's announcing and I appreciate his posts and knowledge.

v j stauffer
12-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Just want to say I do like Vic's announcing and I appreciate his posts and knowledge.

Thanks Aly. And thanks to Mary for coming by.

tribecaagent
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Aly. And thanks to Mary for coming by.

Hey Vic,

I hope you and Mary exchanged phone numbers. Judging from her photo, she's obviously cute, and I think she might have a thing for you. I've seen you before and realize an opportunity like this doesn't happen very often. :D

Good luck with that.

v j stauffer
12-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Hey Vic,

I hope you and Mary exchanged phone numbers. Judging from her photo, she's obviously cute, and I think she might have a thing for you. I've seen you before and realize an opportunity like this doesn't happen very often. :D

Good luck with that.

Settle down Becca. That very night I was fortunate enough to meet Mary's husband. And they both met my wonderful girlfriend.

tribecaagent
12-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Settle down Becca. That very night I was fortunate enough to meet Mary's husband. And they both met my wonderful girlfriend.

Straight & Strong, Vic!

BeatTheChalk
12-06-2008, 12:58 AM
For all you Vic Stauffer lovers: check this out! (http://maryforney.blogspot.com/2008/12/interview-with-vic-stauffer-hollywood.html)

Dare I say ... I do not belong to the Stauffer fan club. Every set of ears is
different. Every voice sounds different to the next person. As for the Calls
alone ... on their own ..it's ok .. A little bit "" chatty "" but the flow is fine..
Finally thank God for Bataglia .. No fluff .. just enough and and.. he reminds me of my all time favorite Brother Georgeff. Similar inflection and tone. Makes it all worthwile.
Of course listening to the Blokes and the Aussies and the Red Coats ..
dont get me started. :bang: :eek: :( :blush: :mad:

Imriledup
12-06-2008, 02:35 AM
Dare I say ... I do not belong to the Stauffer fan club. Every set of ears is
different. Every voice sounds different to the next person. As for the Calls
alone ... on their own ..it's ok .. A little bit "" chatty "" but the flow is fine..
Finally thank God for Bataglia .. No fluff .. just enough and and.. he reminds me of my all time favorite Brother Georgeff. Similar inflection and tone. Makes it all worthwile.
Of course listening to the Blokes and the Aussies and the Red Coats ..
dont get me started. :bang: :eek: :( :blush: :mad:

Stauffer is good, i like his calls. When he calls a photo and i have the other horse, i get really happy ! ;)

Didn't really think he did a good job with the Kbello race announcing that the inquiry did NOT involve the top 2 finshers and then not coming back on the PA to announce that the inquiry did in fact, involve the winner. Bad job keeping the public in the dark there for 15 mins (or what SEEMED like 15 mins)

boomman
12-06-2008, 11:46 AM
nmy: Recent article on "that guy" you like from The Meadows...........Boomer

Roger Huston never really dreamed of being a harness racing announcer. As he was getting ready to graduate high school in Ohio, he thought more of becoming a teacher, which would leave him time in the summers to train and drive horses at the county fairs.

Had Huston stuck to that plan, this much is certain - harness racing would not be the same. Next week, on Thursday, December 11, if all goes according to schedule, Huston will call race number 150,000 in his Hall of Fame career. No announcer anywhere has called as many races.

Huston, who is best known as the voice of The Meadows in western Pennsylvania and the Little Brown Jug at the Delaware County Fair in Ohio, called his first race during his senior year at Xenia High School in 1960. Since then, he has called events at 125 different locations in 17 states and five foreign countries.

Not every event involved harness racing. He’s called pinewood derbies, baby derbies, frog races, pig races - even a race between the two Pittsburgh inclines, which he did from a helicopter. From 1976 to 1982, he was the public address announcer for University of Pittsburgh football and basketball games.

But harness racing is where Huston made his name, although his start came as a surprise. His uncle, Don, who was a longtime race-caller himself, was scheduled to work a Sunday matinee card at the Clinton County Fairgrounds in Wilmington, Ohio.

Prior to the races, he called the 17-year-old Huston to the announcer’s booth, and told him to watch over things while he went to the bathroom. Uncle Don didn’t return.

“I guess we’d discussed being an announcer, but we really hadn’t talked too much about it. We definitely didn’t talk about it that day,” Huston said. “With two minutes to post, they told me your uncle is not coming back, so you better memorize these horses; you’re going to announce your first race. I did, and it was atrocious. It didn’t discourage me and by the time we got to the fifth race I was doing pretty good.”

After graduating from Wilmington College in 1965, Huston put his teaching plans on the backburner to call races at the Red Mile in Lexington. In 1967, he began calling races at Pompano Park in Florida and for the Little Brown Jug. In 1976, he landed at The Meadows.

“I can say this a hundred times about the entire career, I never dreamed it would go this long,” said Huston, who started doing public address announcing while a senior in high school. “I never dreamed it would be this big or anything like that. I just thought I’d be a county fair announcer. When I started going to the Jug in the 1950s, I never thought, ‘Hey, I want to call this race.’ I just never really thought about it. It just continued to grow.”

Huston, despite the number of races he has called during his career, does not hesitate when asked the most memorable. It is Dragon’s Lair’s upset of Nihilator in the 1984 Breeders Crown at The Meadows.

“When you have something that’s a favourite, there are many reasons involved,” Huston said. “He was a local horse I’d promoted all year long. Everybody said we were crazy when we said he could beat Nihilator. And it was a great horse race. They tried to double-team him; they hung him to the quarter; they came after him with everybody. Dragon’s Lair and (driver) Jeff Mallet just put them away. That’s the one I remember the most.”

Huston knows his fervent style of calling races has not won him fans across the board, but makes no apologies.

“I’m proud when people say I put as much enthusiasm into each and every race, but it’s also the thing people hate most about me,” Huston said. “My uncle tried to get me to change the style and I was uncomfortable doing it any other way. I have no regrets about the way I announce horse racing.”

He also is proud of helping Sam McKee, now an announcer at the Meadowlands in New Jersey, break into the business.

“When I started working with him, he was 10 years old,” Huston said. “That’s been a big thrill to see him develop over the years. That’s probably one of the things I’m most proud of doing in my life.”

Huston, who for the past 15 years has used Halls eucalyptus cough drops to keep his throat moist while calling races (“I usually get three or four races per cough drop; they really do the job,” he said), plans to slow down in the upcoming years, but not leave the announcer’s booth.

v j stauffer
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Stauffer is good, i like his calls. When he calls a photo and i have the other horse, i get really happy ! ;)

Didn't really think he did a good job with the Kbello race announcing that the inquiry did NOT involve the top 2 finshers and then not coming back on the PA to announce that the inquiry did in fact, involve the winner. Bad job keeping the public in the dark there for 15 mins (or what SEEMED like 15 mins)

I messed that up. I was my fault. The stewards called me and said there was an inquiry involving the #3. I misspoke when I said it didn't involve the top two. After that I thought it would just further the confusion to say anything else during the process.

Nmytwenties
12-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the article there Boomer. Again I am not a harness bettor but I love the guy's over the top style. Not that I would have the opinion that over the top style's are ideal for all track announcers. I think it is safe to say that when he retires that even those who are annoyed by him will miss him a bit. He had a short vacation recently I believe and I know I noticed that his trademark calls were missing. That is an all year round racing track as well, and he never seems to have an off day (in terms of performance).My favorite mannerisms are his "in the lightning lane, the lightning lane" at the end of a race. I am so much a novice at the harness game that I couldn't tell you for sure just what the lightning lane is,lol, but I know he gets excited when a horse uses it. And of course the beginning of his callshas to be my favorite of all, "all in behind the gate--- the gate swings around the turn--, there they go".

Marshall Bennett
12-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey Vic ... will you be climbing back in the saddle anytime soon at TVG ? Beleive you were more annoyed by the e-mails there than the comments here on your race calls . Hang in there dude , you're doing okay !! MB

thespaah
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
You are mixing a lot of things into one sentence that were never there in the first place.

Very simply, the point with sports teams is that the owner, even though they pay millions of dollars can NOT pick the teams "silks". He cannot dress A-rod different than Jeter if he likes either.

Teams wear standard colors, whether it be football, basketball, hockey, etc. This is so the fans can easily distinguish who is on "their" team.

As for the numbers, even though that was not even mentioned in my post, the point there is also Alex Rodriguez despite making $25 million has to play without his name on his back. That is the STANDARD Yankee uniform and tough on him if he doesn't like it.

Standard uniforms are NOT for the Owners or Players, they are for the fans. Standard jockey silks are also for the fans. They are NEEDED due to simulcasting. If tracks want to make the money from simulcasting, then they should accomodate those fans.

As for the truck and the 3 hour stuff you added, that was never mentioned in my post and is hardly relevant since the race-caller in this thread PREFERS the challenge of having the same colors on multiple jockeys. He needs no truck, and he probably does a great job.

However, in this day and age, I would guess 50% or more of the crowd that bet on the race watches it with no sound. Perhaps that number is even greater at smaller tracks where 90%+ of the handle comes in from simulcasting.
Ok whatever, champ. The pros behind ther mic know nothing and you are the expert.
Sorry you had to make this personal..BYE

v j stauffer
12-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Hey Vic ... will you be climbing back in the saddle anytime soon at TVG ? Beleive you were more annoyed by the e-mails there than the comments here on your race calls . Hang in there dude , you're doing okay !! MB

Don't think so Marshall. I took a hiatus because I was considering becoming a steward. Thought trying to pick winners on TVG was a potential conflict. Now that I have a second job with Joel I don't think it will leave much time for TVG. I'd be happy to fill in in a pinch. Don't think it would amount to much more than that.

thespaah
12-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Don't think so Marshall. I took a hiatus because I was considering becoming a steward. Thought trying to pick winners on TVG was a potential conflict. Now that I have a second job with Joel I don't think it will leave much time for TVG. I'd be happy to fill in in a pinch. Don't think it would amount to much more than that.Awwwwwwwwww.
C'mon......

v j stauffer
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Awwwwwwwwww.
C'mon......

I'm pretty sure the racing public will survive without more of my big mouth.

Hey kids how bout Super Mario Rosario winning the 300K in Puerto Rico?

Yeah baby! :jump:

BeatTheChalk
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
That's easy.
Mike Battaglia
Mike Battaglia
MIKE BATTAGLIA
:bang:

Yes it is !! He is fantastic. All he does is call the races without frills...
without mentioning the names of the horses over and over and over
again. And the best part is ...

** HE SOUNDS ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE THEEE BEST EVER ..THE ONE
THE ONLY ...GEORGEFF ... SPINNNNNING OUT OF THE TURN. ***

BeatTheChalk
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM

I know he is here. I Know everyone loves him. So I cant say anything
even remotely critical. And of course .. Harry Henson was theeeee
best announcer in the history of the world ( years at Hol ) So I am
stuck. Every person on the planet - hears things differently ..hears
a voice differently. Has unique hearing situations. Some voices come
into the hearing area and have different waves and lengths.
When horses are all IN THE GATE....why do some announcers say
They are at THE POST ???

jballscalls
12-08-2008, 02:01 PM
why do some announcers say
They are at THE POST ???

why do they call it a winner's circle when its usually square? why do they call it winners enclosure when its not enclosed? questions to ponder

Bubba X
12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=BeatTheChalk]Yes it is !! He is fantastic. All he does is call the races without frills...
again.
QUOTE]
Yes. Sometimes, he doesn't mention the winner at all.

BeatTheChalk
12-11-2008, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=BeatTheChalk]Yes it is !! He is fantastic. All he does is call the races without frills...
again.
QUOTE]
Yes. Sometimes, he doesn't mention the winner at all.

That's a nice try. But wrong information. :lol:

strapper
12-11-2008, 01:51 PM
why do they call it a winner's circle when its usually square? why do they call it winners enclosure when its not enclosed? questions to ponder

I think "winner's enclosure" is an Aussie term. As you know those Aussies have a lingo uniquely their own!

My track does indeed have a "winner's square" but I've never heard any announcer call it that! Would any announcer dare to say that???

Peter Berry
12-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I think "winner's enclosure" is an Aussie term. As you know those Aussies have a lingo uniquely their own!

My track does indeed have a "winner's square" but I've never heard any announcer call it that! Would any announcer dare to say that???

Australian racetracks don't have a winner's enclosure or circle, per se, just the mounting yard. There is no area where the winner's connections gather for photos with the horse.

BeatTheChalk
12-12-2008, 12:03 AM

Well for all of you folks who like the announcer at Caldahh - you will love
the gent at Hol. Stone sound alikes. Impossible but true. Check it
out. :eek: :bang:

Zenyatta To Crush
12-12-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm pretty sure the racing public will survive without more of my big mouth.

Hey kids how bout Super Mario Rosario winning the 300K in Puerto Rico?

Yeah baby! :jump:
I think you're a great announcer Vic. You have a passion for the game and really get into your calls, especially in the bigger races.

Your call at Gulfstream when Read the Footnotes and Second June "Throw it Down!!!" really got me into racing. I also enjoyed your Lava Man calls, especially when "Lava Man says to King's Drama, oh no you don't!!"

Were you under consideration at all for calling the Breeders Cup races, or was Denman the only one considered? I hope someday you get to call the Breeders Cup races. Many more casual fans would get interested in racing after hearing your great calls.

v j stauffer
12-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I think you're a great announcer Vic. You have a passion for the game and really get into your calls, especially in the bigger races.

Your call at Gulfstream when Read the Footnotes and Second June "Throw it Down!!!" really got me into racing. I also enjoyed your Lava Man calls, especially when "Lava Man says to King's Drama, oh no you don't!!"

Were you under consideration at all for calling the Breeders Cup races, or was Denman the only one considered? I hope someday you get to call the Breeders Cup races. Many more casual fans would get interested in racing after hearing your great calls.

Thanks so much for the lovely words. I miss calling at Gulfstream very much. Life moves on though and I'm very thrilled to be able to live in Cal. year round. If I was under considertion for the BC I wasn't aware of it. They picked a great announcer in Trevor. As a fan like you I look forward to his calls of the BC races every year.

Uncertain times these day in horse racing indeed. I'm faced with no longer being a racecaller in the future with the impneding closure of Hollywood Park. Doubt I'd go back out on the road to call somewhere else. Doubt my family would be too happy about that.

That's why I've taken on this second job of being a jockeys agent. Fortunately I've been lucky enough to be asked to work for a young man that has a limitless future in Mr. Rosario. Thank goodness for this great opportunity.

BTW if you're wondering how glamourous agenting is. You know hobnobbing with the Frankel , Sadler, Baffert and O'neill's of the world. I'm about ten minutes from leaving the house to get to work. Check out when this was posted!

Not complaining mind you. Just wondering why the horses can't train AFTER the damm races!!:p

Have a great day kids.

VJS

ezrabrooks
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey Vic, I wondered why you were up at such an early hour...now it makes sense. I hope you find success with your Agent gig...but, it is our loss if you leave the booth.

Ez

strapper
12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Australian racetracks don't have a winner's enclosure or circle, per se, just the mounting yard. There is no area where the winner's connections gather for photos with the horse.

I've watched a few Australian races from Down Under but never paid much attention to the photo ceremonies I guess. It does seem like the Aussie announcers working in the U.S. like Michael Wrona do say "winner's enclosure" however, so I figured they had that in Oz. My bad.

Zenyatta To Crush
12-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks so much for the lovely words. I miss calling at Gulfstream very much. Life moves on though and I'm very thrilled to be able to live in Cal. year round. If I was under considertion for the BC I wasn't aware of it. They picked a great announcer in Trevor. As a fan like you I look forward to his calls of the BC races every year.

Uncertain times these day in horse racing indeed. I'm faced with no longer being a racecaller in the future with the impneding closure of Hollywood Park. Doubt I'd go back out on the road to call somewhere else. Doubt my family would be too happy about that.

That's why I've taken on this second job of being a jockeys agent. Fortunately I've been lucky enough to be asked to work for a young man that has a limitless future in Mr. Rosario. Thank goodness for this great opportunity.

BTW if you're wondering how glamourous agenting is. You know hobnobbing with the Frankel , Sadler, Baffert and O'neill's of the world. I'm about ten minutes from leaving the house to get to work. Check out when this was posted!

Not complaining mind you. Just wondering why the horses can't train AFTER the damm races!!:p

Have a great day kids.

VJS
Trevor is a very good announcer and I really enjoy his calls. He has a talent of knowing how well a horse is running or if a horse is gonna tail off.

Gulfstream kinda went downhill after you left, I don't mind Collmus at all, but they had to change the whole grandstand around so that standing and watching the races is so dang crowded. They pretty much eliminated themselves from any future Breeders Cup consideration.

Those must have been some long Fridays for you in November when Hollywood had a couple 7pm post times. I can't imagine chatting it up with Baffert would make your mornings go by much faster.

Hopefully Hollywood Park continues to stay open for at least another year so that we can hear you call another Zenyatta race. I'm very excited for her return.

Peter Berry
12-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I've watched a few Australian races from Down Under but never paid much attention to the photo ceremonies I guess. It does seem like the Aussie announcers working in the U.S. like Michael Wrona do say "winner's enclosure" however, so I figured they had that in Oz. My bad.

I've been using winner's enclosure and mounting yard (rather than paddock) for five years at Mountaineer. I don't know what Wrona and Geller use.

Peter Berry
12-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Wrona uses "winner's circle."

Marshall Bennett
12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Race 1 at Tampa caught me off guard this morning . The loudmouth nearly blew me off my feet before I could find the remote & mute . I'll bet coffee doesn't sell well there , he'll keep you wired through out the card . :bang:

jballscalls
12-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Race 1 at Tampa caught me off guard this morning . The loudmouth nearly blew me off my feet before I could find the remote & mute . I'll bet coffee doesn't sell well there , he'll keep you wired through out the card . :bang:

One of the best reasons to watch Tampa, Grunder rules!

jballscalls
12-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Wrona uses "winner's circle."

Gellar too.

thespaah
12-13-2008, 11:13 PM

Have a great day kids.

VJSSo it's true. We're about to lose Hollywood Park..That's a shame. Another great track goes away.....Jeez....
Good luck on your new venture. However, I for one will miss your calls.....

v j stauffer
12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
So it's true. We're about to lose Hollywood Park..That's a shame. Another great track goes away.....Jeez....
Good luck on your new venture. However, I for one will miss your calls.....

We're not gone yet! We'll run the spring/summer meeting. Starts in Apr. Then see what happens from there.

Long live HP!

JustRalph
12-15-2008, 12:24 AM
If the coming commercial real estate crisis materializes HOL might be around more than a few more years.

Let's hope so

thespaah
12-15-2008, 12:52 AM
We're not gone yet! We'll run the spring/summer meeting. Starts in Apr. Then see what happens from there.

Long live HP!So you'll keep calling races there as long as they will let you? I hope!!!!!

v j stauffer
12-15-2008, 01:30 AM
So you'll keep calling races there as long as they will let you? I hope!!!!!

As long as they run at Hollywood Park. It'll be my honor to call the races.

Norm
12-15-2008, 02:29 AM
To be filed under the heading of "I can't believe he said that" - - anyone catch the 5th at AQU on Saturday ? "... and Bubba Gum is sticking to the rail ...". :lol:

I hereby nominate Mr. Durkin for the Spike Jones Award. Or, maybe we should just start calling him Spike Durkin ! :D

thespaah
12-15-2008, 08:17 AM
As long as they run at Hollywood Park. It'll be my honor to call the races.Good stuff!!!!!

dave the horseman
12-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Vic,

You killed me on Saturday, in the eighth with the inquiry, holding my pick 4 ticket "After reviewing the video tape replay the stewards have ruled that.............................................. .........................................
..................... <<<really long pause>>> ..there will be no change in the order of finish.. -took ten years off my life p.s. ticket came in :)

Nice calls Saturday

bdownes
12-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Nothing like a 12 horse field at Tampa and u get the first 3 horses names and then the "last horse away". lol What about 4 through 11? Its great to see that Tampa had a great opening day!! Good news especially in this day of age with the economy.

The announcer at Tampa is a jock agent in Minnesota during the summer. Vic is now a jock agent. I see a trend developing. :)

boomman
12-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Nothing like a 12 horse field at Tampa and u get the first 3 horses names and then the "last horse away". lol What about 4 through 11? Its great to see that Tampa had a great opening day!! Good news especially in this day of age with the economy.

The announcer at Tampa is a jock agent in Minnesota during the summer. Vic is now a jock agent. I see a trend developing. :)

downes: Let me see if I have this right: You come to this board with your 2nd post ever to rag on a distinguished colleague? Perhaps a new line of work is in your future as well!;)

Boomer

v j stauffer
12-16-2008, 02:12 AM

A wise man once told me we shouldn't **** where we eat. An announcer knocking another announcer just ain't cool.

Hope the announcer karma gods don't read PA.

BombsAway Bob
12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
A wise man once told me we shouldn't **** where we eat. An announcer knocking another announcer just ain't cool.
Hope the announcer karma gods don't read PA.
I prefer the idea that PA is a place where "everybody knows your name"...
I'm sure Richard has heard the "...and the last horse away.." gripe before...
as soon as he comes up with another catchphrase, it's off to the scrap heap,
just like a certain politico's fave, "...My Friends..."

boomman
12-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Bombsaway: I have never made a comment when a member of this board states an opinion or critique on one of us, that's fine. But as professionals of a small fraternity, we always support each other in public, and as Vic said (echoing my sentiments) knocking EACH OTHER (as downes did) crosses the line......

Boomer

jballscalls
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM

I hope RG keeps the last horse away call, its distinctive and its his. I think its important for announcers to do things to distinguish themselves from the crowd. I think Richard Grunder does this with his style, his unique voice, but also his genuine passion for the game.

Plus he was a long time Portland Meadows announcer, more reason to like him!!

Bubba X
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
I hope RG keeps the last horse away call, its distinctive and its his. I think its important for announcers to do things to distinguish themselves from the crowd. I think Richard Grunder does this with his style, his unique voice, but also his genuine passion for the game.

Plus he was a long time Portland Meadows announcer, more reason to like him!!I am sure he is a nice guy and all but if you cannot set up the entire field in the first quarter of a mile, you are not doing a very good job.

By the way, if you have any pull at Tampa, please ask them to move, cut down, or at least trim, the tree that completely obliterates the pan shot at the 7 furlong gate.

jballscalls
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I am sure he is a nice guy and all but if you cannot set up the entire field in the first quarter of a mile, you are not doing a very good job.

By the way, if you have any pull at Tampa, please ask them to move, cut down, or at least trim, the tree that completely obliterates the pan shot at the 7 furlong gate.

I've never been to Tampa, never met anyone from Tampa, the closest person i've known to Tampa is Boomer, and all i know is he lives somewhere in Florida LOL

I have no idea of whether or not Richard is a nice guy or not, never met him, i just think he's fun to listen to and adds something to their product.

boomman
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I've never been to Tampa, never met anyone from Tampa, the closest person i've known to Tampa is Boomer, and all i know is he lives somewhere in Florida LOL

I have no idea of whether or not Richard is a nice guy or not, never met him, i just think he's fun to listen to and adds something to their product.

balls: I live about 100 miles south of Tampa, am friends with Richard Grunder for many years (who is indeed one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet) and l will certainly pass along Bubba's concern about the tree obliterating the 7 furlong pan shot and see if they can do anything about that. As far as defending Richard in this thread, I have some announcer colleagues that I am very close to or friends with and Jason (balls) is certainly one of those people, but I would defend any announcer (friends or not) that was being publicly villified by another announcer on this board as I just feel it is highly unprofessional. As I said before, horseplayers critiquing announcers is something as paying customers is their right to do. Imagine though if Ian Meyers came on this board and said don't go to YouBet or criticized the way they do business, as someone that is a competitor in the ADW business, that would be self serving (IMO) and totally unprofessional, and obviously Ian has NEVER done that..................

Boomer

BUD
12-16-2008, 05:40 PM
I wish more would get my philosophy. But thinking back I exactly did not have my philosophy before I became-disabled--The dreaded Handicapped word----

Now I am thankful---I listen to these races and may prefer one style over another, but never something I would call bad-----Maybe I do not know any better.. Not being arrogant--I may not know this game well but You don't spend about 20 years in Law Enforcement and be a chump-----

I chose to be positive--I chose to focus on the positive----this here is one great game----I think for me coming from where I was to being desperate and disabled----Spending 10- 12 hours alone minus a visiting nurse or PT etc---This Game became my side kick----I found TV that I truly could inter act with---I found a sport--Where I could 1-watch 2 participate-----I found some awesome folks who would lend me a hand---

I see it this way--Instead of knocking the game-Lets make it better

I know I said it a million times here---But this is one special game---With some stand up classy and talented men and women--

I am privileged to be part of the Horse Racing family.

I thank God each and every day for this game. Its just not gambling to me.

DarnThatAlarm
12-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Boomer: I have been reading PA for quite some time and I enjoy your expertise in the business and I have to agree with you. A paying customer has every right to say how they feel about an announcer within reason of course, but a fellow announcer should never publicly bash another.

I read on another forum a while back where the announcer at a harness track in Pennsylvania publicly attacked the announcer at Dover Downs in Delaware for not giving driver Tim Tetrick a more exciting call when he broke the record for wins in a year. I thought that was a complete classless act and if I was a track manager and he was my employee, at very best there would be a long suspension involved.

Bud, I completely agree with you on focusing about the positives of the sport. It would go along way if these two representatives of the industry issue a public apology for their foot in mouth incidents.

PS Great website Boomer (handicapping college)

boomman
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Boomer: I have been reading PA for quite some time and I enjoy your expertise in the business and I have to agree with you. A paying customer has every right to say how they feel about an announcer within reason of course, but a fellow announcer should never publicly bash another.

I read on another forum a while back where the announcer at a harness track in Pennsylvania publicly attacked the announcer at Dover Downs in Delaware for not giving driver Tim Tetrick a more exciting call when he broke the record for wins in a year. I thought that was a complete classless act and if I was a track manager and he was my employee, at very best there would be a long suspension involved.

Bud, I completely agree with you on focusing about the positives of the sport. It would go along way if these two representatives of the industry issue a public apology for their foot in mouth incidents.

PS Great website Boomer (handicapping college)

DTA: Yep, that was definitely the point I was making. Also, I have always made it a goal of mine to get as much info out to folks who have an interest in our sport as possible, so I'm glad you like the "college" website..............

Boomer

TurfRuler
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I chose to be positive--I chose to focus on the positive----this here is one great game----I think for me coming from where I was to being desperate and disabled----Spending 10- 12 hours alone minus a visiting nurse or PT etc---This Game became my side kick----I found TV that I truly could inter act with---I found a sport--Where I could 1-watch 2 participate-----I found some awesome folks who would lend me a hand---

I know I said it a million times here---But this is one special game---With some stand up classy and talented men and women--

I am privileged to be part of the Horse Racing family.

I thank God each and every day for this game. Its just not gambling to me.

Brother, brother, from Purgatory (a state of mind), North Carolina, you said it well.

Norm
12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
As long as they run at Hollywood Park. It'll be my honor to call the races.
You may be there another 15 years. Here's a new article from DRF on the so-called "developement " of HP.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/100585.html (http://www.drf.com/news/article/100585.html)

Good luck!