PDA

View Full Version : Clark Handicap

joanied
11-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Check the possible entries...Zito has three...and I can't see anyone beating Commentator if he's on his game...could these (possible) entries be the real reason that Curlin won't run there?
Hmmmmmm...

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/48117.htm

cj
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't think there is any way he is not running in that spot because of a fear of the competition. The others are not very good outside of Commentator.

joanied
11-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think there is any way he is not running in that spot because of a fear of the competition. The others are not very good outside of Commentator.

Maybe... but if Commentator is on his game, Curlin would be looking him in the eye!!
I just may be grasping here, cj...I hate it that THE reason is simply the purse money, and thinking about it right now...you may be right...they sure didn't worry about the competition or the Pro Ride for the Classic...but look what happened....they know Commentator would be the one to give Curlin a fight, and no Pro Ride surface...so, IMO, if they want to be sporting and want fans to see him once more, and want him to retire off a win...the Clark is the place.(since they ruled out the Cigar Mile because it's in NY)

Why do you think they won't run?
:)

domino1891
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Check the possible entries...Zito has three...and I can't see anyone beating Commentator if he's on his game...could these (possible) entries be the real reason that Curlin won't run there?
Hmmmmmm...

BINGO!

After being beaten by 3 horses in the BC, a loss to one or more in the Clark wouldn't do much for his legacy.

Not worth the risk, even for a sportsman.

joanied
11-20-2008, 06:33 PM
BINGO!

After being beaten by 3 horses in the BC, a loss to one or more in the Clark wouldn't do much for his legacy.

Not worth the risk, even for a sportsman.

I don't think cj would agree...but besides Commentator, although the field sure ain't a stellar one, some of these colts are fresh and a few do have some talent...and beyond the purse money, I do beleive they want to play it safe...which, if ya think about, is kinda sad...if Curlin is the horse we all beleive he is...he should beat the Clark field pretty easy...but, my guess is we'll never know....oh, unless the purse goes up to 1/2 million $$$:eek:

domino1891
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't think cj would agree...but besides Commentator, although the field sure ain't a stellar one, some of these colts are fresh and a few do have some talent...and beyond the purse money, I do beleive they want to play it safe...which, if ya think about, is kinda sad...if Curlin is the horse we all beleive he is...he should beat the Clark field pretty easy...but, my guess is we'll never know....oh, unless the purse goes up to 1/2 million $$$:eek:

ummmm last time I checked, the purse was $500,000

and last time I checked $500,000 was 1/2 million :lol: ;) :bang:

I truly think that they fear that Curlin could lose. It wouldn't be a good thing.
Curlin will always be the horse that broke Cigar's earnings record. He's HOY at least once. A good horse. Perhaps, if the breed is declining as some think, he will be a "great modern day horse" in the future.

joanied
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
ummmm last time I checked, the purse was $500,000

and last time I checked $500,000 was 1/2 million :lol: ;) :bang:

I truly think that they fear that Curlin could lose. It wouldn't be a good thing.
Curlin will always be the horse that broke Cigar's earnings record. He's HOY at least once. A good horse. Perhaps, if the breed is declining as some think, he will be a "great modern day horse" in the future.

I didn't check :blush: the purse...but it being 1/2 million makes them not running because the purse isn't enough even worse...1/2 million isn't enough...again, gimmy a break.
As mentioned...yes, I (we) beleive it's fear of loosing...
But, as is, Curlin's 'legacy' will be one of the best and no one can take any of it away from him.
I hope he does become one of our great modern day sires, and can pass his soundness, class & courage on to all his get.

domino1891
11-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Churchill is confused or too lazy to update their Stakes Schedule.

http://www.churchilldowns.com/horsemen/stakes-schedule $500K

http://www.churchilldowns.com/sites/churchilldowns.com/files/2008%20Clark%20Handicap.pdf $400K

I'm sure Curlin will be remembered, perhaps in the top 100 which isn't bad, but still not a great.

Earnings don't make one great. After inflation and extravagant Dubai purses, he's way down on the top 100.

But it was still nice to have a good horse race at 3 & 4.

joanied
11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Churchill is confused or too lazy to update their Stakes Schedule.

http://www.churchilldowns.com/horsemen/stakes-schedule $500K

http://www.churchilldowns.com/sites/churchilldowns.com/files/2008%20Clark%20Handicap.pdf $400K

I'm sure Curlin will be remembered, perhaps in the top 100 which isn't bad, but still not a great.

Earnings don't make one great. After inflation and extravagant Dubai purses, he's way down on the top 100.

But it was still nice to have a good horse race at 3 & 4.

HUH... I thought I'd seen the Clark with a $400K purse, but was too lazy too look after it was mentioned at being $500K...how can Churchill make such a stupid mistake:bang:

I am so glad you mentioned the earnings as not making a horse great...I mentioned that in a couple of posts...even to the point of saying there are some horses that earn a ton of $$ while winning just a few races with huge purses...and that earned money sure don't make them great...it's an outstanding 'stat', even accomplishment, but it does not make a horse great.
Again...Curlin is one of the very best...ever and everyone that loves racing needs to be very grateful we had him for 2 years...regardless of the reasons involved...it's been, well...GREAT:jump:

joanied
11-21-2008, 01:11 PM
It's official....

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/48147/curlin-to-stand-at-lanes-end-in-2009

I also re read the story where Asmussen declared Curlin as a no show for the Clark...he stated "with them lowering the purse from $500K to $400k" and the bad weather, he will not run.
I suppose if the purse had stayed at $500K, the bad weather would not have been a factor...and IMO, that is as poor an excuse as I've heard.
Talk about beating around the bush:faint:

Patrick333
11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Hmmmmmm...

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/48117.htm

It looks like potentially a pretty good field. But I have to agree with you, if Commentator holds his form he should win.

joanied
11-21-2008, 08:47 PM
It looks like potentially a pretty good field. But I have to agree with you, if Commentator holds his form he should win.

I suppose most would think this field is, other than Commentator, kind of the throw aways...but, IMO, it looks like a field of good colts, most are fresh, all have talent and I look for a hell of a good race... I'll be rooting for Commentator...doubt he'll win by 10...but he should get the job done...as of this moment, I see Mambo in Seattle right there!!

Haven't checked DRF yet...gotta wait til morning:(