PDA

View Full Version : Is it the coach's fault or the player's fault?

dav4463
11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Is it the coach's fault or the player's fault when two (count 'em..TWO!) unbelievably stupid plays are committed by a team?

Did anybody catch the UAB vs Arizona college basketball game last night?

UAB was up 71-69. Arizona gets a steal and a basket to tie at 71, then UAB throws the ball in and Arizona commits a foul because I guess the player didn't realize that the game was tied. I could live with that. It was a mistake. UAB missed the free throw and Arizona got the ball.

They even took a timeout! Tie game....Arizona goes for game-winning shot and misses....you would think it's going into overtime, but inexplicably as UAB tries to get off a desparation 3 pt shot from beyond half court, an Arizona defender dives at the player from behind and gets called for an intentional foul and UAB wins it at the foul line with a second to play!

Two absolutely stupid mistakes by Arizona! I can't imagine that the coaches during the timeout didn't tell the players what to do.....I just think the players had no clue. How could they not even know the game was tied? Incredible finish!

cj
11-19-2008, 03:36 PM
For me, that has to go on the player(s). You just have to know the score at the end of the game, period.

Hosshead
11-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Didn't see the game. Was Lute Olson coaching ?

cj's dad
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
As colleges become less and less selective in their choice of student-athletes :lol: the stupid plays and low grad rates will only increase.

just ask eagles fans.

cj
11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Didn't see the game. Was Lute Olson coaching ?

No...didn't he retire?

Hosshead
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Lute:

" • Lute Olson announced his resignation through a school-issued release on Oct. 23. He had 20 consecutive 20-win seasons and 24 straight NCAA Tournament appearances, raising Arizona from middling Pac-10 doormat to a national powerhouse. He’s in the basketball Hall of Fame.

Olson announced engagement to Kelly Pugnea in early October, calling her a “very, very good person.” Pugnea, 47, is a Tucson resident and a divorced mom of two boys. Olson, 74, said the two met last spring but have no wedding date at this point. “No plans yet,” Olson said. “Probably next summer.”

Olson divorced his second wife of 4 1/2 years, Christine, while he took a leave of absence from coaching last season. His first wife of 47 years, Bobbi, died in 2001."