PDA

View Full Version : Turn Time

grexxon
11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm looking for a computer program that was free. It is Turn Time and it is screw up on the site since they moved to another server and you can no longer download it. I lost the copy I had when my HD crashed. If anybody has a copy and could send it to me I sure would appreciate it. Send it to
grexxon @ comcast . net.

Thanks
George

Speed Figure
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
The only one I know of is here. http://www.thorotech.com/freestuff/turntime.html

raybo
11-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Doesn't a true turn time involve the layout of each individual track? You would need to know at what distance the turn actually starts and where the turn actually ends. I think most "turn time" users approach this figure far too simply and the result they attain is almost meaningless. If you are attempting to determine how each horse negotiates "the turn" then you must know: 1. the time to the turn, 2. the length of the turn and 3. the time at the end of the turn. These 3 criteria vary with racetracks.

Even knowing these criteria only allows one to closely estimate turn time, but they do allow a more accurate figure than not knowing them.

podonne
11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Purely speculating here, but turn time could just refer to the part of the race between the beginning and the end. Since there is usually a turn between the two, turn time.

Would there be a benefit to knowing the exact time through the actual turn?

raybo
11-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Purely speculating here, but turn time could just refer to the part of the race between the beginning and the end. Since there is usually a turn between the two, turn time.

Would there be a benefit to knowing the exact time through the actual turn?

The time between the "beginning and the end" is a given. We have F1,F2,Str, Final times, which part do you want? That's easy. Turn time is not.

lsosa54
11-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Doesn't a true turn time involve the layout of each individual track? You would need to know at what distance the turn actually starts and where the turn actually ends.

I think the distance is key. For the most part, 5.5 f is the distance where the 2nd fraction is run the most "on the turn" and it declines from there. At 7f, a good part of "turn time" is run straight. I don't handicap anything less than 5.5 f.

raybo
11-20-2008, 07:03 AM
I think the distance is key. For the most part, 5.5 f is the distance where the 2nd fraction is run the most "on the turn" and it declines from there. At 7f, a good part of "turn time" is run straight. I don't handicap anything less than 5.5 f.

I agree. At 5f the 2nd call begins at 3/16m and ends at 3/8m which mean it starts before the turn and ends in the turn. At 5.5f it begins at 1/4m and ends at 3/8m which means it starts in the turn and ends in the turn. At 6f it starts 1/4m and ends at 1/2m, starts in the turn but could end after the turn. All this depends, of course, on the track layout and length of turn. 6F could be all in the turn if the turn is long enough. After 6f, turn includes some of the straight. These all have to deal with beaten lengths only.

One also has some problems concerning fractional times vs beaten lengths to deal with. At 5f the 1st call is at 3/16m while the fractional time is at 1/4m, the 2nd call is at 3/8m while the fractional time is at 1/2m. At 5.5f 2nd call is at 3/8m while the fractional time is at 1/2m.

dartman51
11-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Too many varibles. Is a tight turn, like Pimlico? Or a wide sweeping turn, like Belmont? Is a 1 turn or 2 turn race? Some tracks have 1 turn miles, then you have Ellis park which has 1 and 1/2 turns for a mile. I know the turn you are looking for is the turn for home, but what did the horse have to do to get there?
I don't get too turned on by turn times. I might be different if all the runners in a race, had run at the same track and distance last out. Just my opinion.

cj
11-20-2008, 09:29 AM
What am I missing here? The guy asked about software called "Turn Time", not about the merits of measuring turn time.

Tom Barrister
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm looking for a computer program that was free. It is Turn Time and it is screw up on the site since they moved to another server and you can no longer download it. I lost the copy I had when my HD crashed. If anybody has a copy and could send it to me I sure would appreciate it. Send it to
grexxon@comcast.net.

Thanks
George

If you went to the Equisim Forums and asked, and/or if you emailed Nathan there, you could probably get the program a lot quicker than expecting it to show up in your inbox.

What you WILL get a lot of is spam from the bots who cruise the internet looking for email addresses.

raybo
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
What am I missing here? The guy asked about software called "Turn Time", not about the merits of measuring turn time.

My apologies, I went to the site that Speed Figure posted, saw that the formulas there are flawed and one thing led to another. His request turned into a discussion on turn time.

Again, I apologize for taking the thread off topic.

Rwahi1
11-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I have it, if you have not received it yet....let me know. Send me a pm.

Raman

cj
11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
My apologies, I went to the site that Speed Figure posted, saw that the formulas there are flawed and one thing led to another. His request turned into a discussion on turn time.

Again, I apologize for taking the thread off topic.

No problem. It is a worthy topic. Try opening a thread about it. Personally I don't think measuring such a short distance is ever of much value by itself, but when used with other data it is worth exploring.

raybo
11-21-2008, 12:22 AM
No problem. It is a worthy topic. Try opening a thread about it. Personally I don't think measuring such a short distance is ever of much value by itself, but when used with other data it is worth exploring.

I agree, but I have put some time and thought into possible uses for turn time and how one would go about writing formulas that will come closer to calculating actual turn times than the formulas I've seen on the internet. I don't personally use turn times but don't doubt that there may be uses for it.