PDA

View Full Version : Proven Systems

matthewsiv
11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I know that many of you will think that this is a stupid question or a secret that you would not reveal.

But what works best for you?

Which tracks do you play?

Which tracks do you avoid?

What races do you play?

What races do you avoid?

Do you play favorites?

What handicapping software do you use and how do you apply it?

kitts
11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I'll try to make this brief. I'm a Dick Mitchell student so most of this was his to start.

I reduce all races to 5 contenders and then only cosnider those. I came to Las Vegas to play many tracks and I finally learned that was not for me. My first live horserace was Del Mar in 1949 and I am now back to the California circuit only

I have kept records since 1990 and am continuously best at cheap claimer sprints so I bet these more aggressively but I look at all the races on the card looking for opportunities.

My basic nature makes me a longshot player and I am finally at peace with that and the long losing streaks. I mostly bet to win.

After I get mycontenders, I run the race through All-In-One V6 which will deal with pars, models and profiles. I try to limit my bet to one of their top two ideally at Fair Odds of 5/2 or lower.

I make wagering decisions the night before and write them down and do not change next day at the track except for any off-turf which I pass.

ldiatone
11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
i agree and do what kitts does, but i run all the horses through. i don't play OFF turf races and 6 horse fields and smaller. even 7 horse fields sometimes.
i play the tracks that run when i'm off. always monday, wed, or thrus. i used to play MNR on monday, but have not played as often as my work requires a early morning start time
ldiatone

lamboguy
11-18-2008, 05:32 PM
i don't buy racing forms

i don't look at any numbers

i don't pay attention to any sheets

i watch replays and track horses!

dav4463
11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
i don't buy racing forms

How do you choose which races to watch? How do you decide which tracks to start with or horses to follow? Ten races a day, twenty or thirty tracks...that's a lot of race watching!

cnollfan
11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I can't really give you a straight answer because I vary my approach greatly by circuit and type of race.

The one thing that I have changed recently, and for the better, I believe, is to follow some second-hand advice from the late Mr. Bradshaw. I have been playing horse races for 40 years and while I have learned a lot in the interim, there are many situations where I'm going to pick the same horse every time. Horses like that jump off the page in the first few seconds I look at a race. I used to feel guilty about not spending more time second-guessing those picks, poring over the fine print to see if they were real or mirages. Now I don't waste my time on that. If I know in 15 seconds I'm picking horse X, he's my pick, period. I'll devote all the rest of my handicapping time that was freed up by being decisive into figuring out who else to use with him in the exacta/trifecta/superfecta/double/pick 3/pick 4. Regardless of what other animals I invent, I will make between 33% and 67% of my total action a win bet on the original selection.

BIG49010
11-19-2008, 07:40 PM
i don't buy racing forms

How do you know who the horses are, and when they are going to run back?

LottaKash
11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
How do you know who the horses are, and when they are going to run back?

He's Gotcha......:jump:

best,

lamboguy
11-19-2008, 08:55 PM
i read the entries

raybo
11-20-2008, 01:03 AM
I have over 30 years invested in the game, the first 20 were spent studying the game, analyzing handicapping/wagering methods, before wagering any sizeable amounts.

I play 5 SouthWest/MidWest tracks only. I have my own handicapping spreadsheet, fully automated. I run all horses in a race, lower claiming and allowance 3yo and up from 5F through 1 1/16m, all at once. My program grades each horse, through proprietary algorithms, based on computer generated pace line selections. I verify the pace line selections and override when necessary and rerun. My program generates a superfecta box wheel ticket. I then watch the tote action, determine, to the best of my ability, where the money is going and why, estimate the minimum payout, decide if the ticket has built-in value, to my specs, then make the wager/no wager decision.

I make no WPS, Ex, Quin, Tri, or Pick wagers. I wager supers exclusively.

PS: All the above, except the tote watch and subsequent activities, are done the night before, or early the morning of, the races.