PDA

View Full Version : Cartier Horse Of The Year

Gorgeous George
11-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Unbeaten filly Zarkava was crowned the Cartier Horse Of The Year in a glittering ceremony in London.

The Alain de Royer-Dupre-trained superstar enjoyed a fantastic season in 2008, winning the French 1000 Guineas and Oaks before going on to win the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe on the only occasion she clashed with both older horses and colts.

Zarkava, who was bred by her owner the Aga Khan, was retired following her Longchamp victory with seven wins to her credit in as many career starts.

She defeated a plethora of stars to win the coveted Horse Of The Year title and also prevailed in the Three-Year-Old Filly division, defeating the likes of Breeders' Cup winner Goldikova and 1000 Guineas heroine Natagora.

Derby hero and dual Champion Stakes winner New Approach may have lost out in the main division but he was crowned top Three-Year-Old Colt - his second successive Cartier Award after victory in the juvenile category last year.

Aidan O'Brien was responsible for no less than three Cartier winners with Yeats winning the Stayer Award for the third year running while five-time Group One victor Duke Of Marmalade won the Older Horse Award. The Coolmore team's hat-trick was completed as Mastercraftsman picked up the Two-Year-Old Colt prize.

John Gosden's Breeders' Cup Classic hero Raven's Pass may not have triumphed at the Grosvenor House Hotel ceremony but the trainer did take the Two-Year-Old Filly Award with Fillies' Mile winner Rainbow View. Marchand D'Or, winner of the Abbaye, July Cup and Maurice de Gheest this term, claimed the Sprinter Award.

The Cartier/Daily Telegraph Award of Merit recognises a person who, in the opinion of the 20-strong Cartier jury, has done the most for European racing and/or breeding either over the past 12 months or throughout their lifetime.

Sheikh Mohammed was the recipient of that honour after building up a worldwide racing and breeding operation, including the ground-breaking Dubai-based Godolphin team, over the last 40 years.

He was not present at the ceremony but commented: "I am delighted by this award. I love racing and breeding. We race not only in England and Europe as Godolphin is all round the world. I am very, very pleased with my racing company and my breeding operation. I love racing and I will always be involved in the sport."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01004/arc1getty_1004244c.jpg

joanied
11-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Zarkava :ThmbUp: certainly deserves the award. She's an amazing filly, and hope she does well as a broodmare...wonder who she'll go to?
Anyway...I congratulate her, a true Champion!!