PDA

View Full Version : referees blow yet another call

cj's dad
11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Pittsburgh vs. San Diego-

Refs call back touchdown ruling fumble a lateral and that ball cannot be advanced. WRONG.
There are 6 officials on the field and 2 (?) in the booth and no-one knows the rule??
The line opened at 4 and went up to 5 1/2, so obviously Pitt was getting bet.
Imagine those who bet Pitt. Las Vegas obviously paid off on S.D.

JustRalph
11-18-2008, 04:12 AM
The Guys on PTI had an interesting discussion about this and how it screwed the people in Vegas.

They somewhat condemned the NFL for its tacit approval of gambling on games.

Cangamble
11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Pittsburgh vs. San Diego-

Refs call back touchdown ruling fumble a lateral and that ball cannot be advanced. WRONG.
There are 6 officials on the field and 2 (?) in the booth and no-one knows the rule??
The line opened at 4 and went up to 5 1/2, so obviously Pitt was getting bet.
Imagine those who bet Pitt. Las Vegas obviously paid off on S.D.
This is being discussed on the Wk 11 thread.
Apparently 2/3's of all bets were on Pittsburgh in Vegas.
There were no forward laterals to begin with. I posted the film on the thread.
It really stinks and gives the impression the fix was on, also considering the penalty totals in the game. Pittsburgh was penalized something like 9 times and San Diego only once.

cj
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
It really stinks and gives the impression the fix was on, also considering the penalty totals in the game. Pittsburgh was penalized something like 9 times and San Diego only once.

What I find particularly odorous is that they even reviewed the play in the first place? Why? I've watched it a bunch of times and there was nothing in that play that warranted a review. The only lateral that hit the ground was not even close to being forward. What the hell were they reviewing.

Two things rule football right now, betting and to a lesser extent but still pretty big, fantasy football. Take those away and you have baseball audiences.

boomman
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Even the studio crew @ NBC had to (somewhat) discuss this, and admitted that while they try to keep point spreads out of their discussions, this was a little "funny". There was absolutely nothing even approaching a forward pass, and to say that the first lateral from Tomlinson was forward was just ridiculous. I had no action on the game, but when you see something like this, it is the APPEARANCE of potential wrong doing that is so bad, similar to the odds lowering on a horse that has a 7 length lead at the 1/8 pole in horse racing. And as far as the fumble, it clearly is advanceable and should have been a Pittsburgh touchdown. Oh by the way, how about Oakland attemping a 56 yard feld goal down by 11 with 3 seconds left that if successful would have covered the 9-10 point spread against Carolina 2 weeks ago????????Hmmmmmmm;)

Boomer

Cangamble
11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I think this will cause a serious investigation in light of what happened with an NBA ref last year.

JustRalph
11-18-2008, 11:17 PM
considering how decimated the talent pool is in the NFL, and I mean decimated by injuries......... is there any reason to watch anything but Romo and Favre?

I mean if you aren't betting on it, that is?

Pace Cap'n
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Kurt Warner.

DanG
11-19-2008, 08:19 AM
As CJ said; it’s a gambling business 1st and foremost. If you want to hasten a rule change have it impact the number and then get publicized.

Of course, if you want your job pressured; talk spread during a national broadcast and your family will be waiting for you…bound & gagged.

Welcome to hypocrisy 101… NFL / American style. :bang:

considering how decimated the talent pool is in the NFL, and I mean decimated by injuries......... is there any reason to watch anything but Romo and Favre?

I mean if you aren't betting on it, that is?
Ralph; your in serious football country in Ohio. The game is played off the ball and that’s where the real intrigue is imo. (I know…I’m not being realistic, but what the heck :D )

• Albert Haynesworth and Kris Jenkins are playing at an all world level. (BTW: no surprise their teams are excelling…control the middle in any sport and you gain an edge.)
• The Giants offensive line leading Jacob’s is one of the great power run games in NFL history.
• Hines Ward going over the middle / getting his clock cleaned and getting up smiling.
• Troy Polamalu would be one of the great Rugby players in history. The guy plays each down like his life is in the balance.
• On the ball: Payton Manning is still playing at a hall of fame level; two rookie O lineman, center out most of the year, RB out, his own knee hurting, Marvin Harrison taking a powder…Just a great thinker to watch play.

The league is loaded with talent; but they put so many of their publicity eggs into QB’s helmets the action off the ball goes un-noticed.

BTW-I: The rules committee in this sport should be bound and gagged for the next 10 years. The layers of beurocracy they are laying on these refs is INSANE!!! Please someone come along and burn half of this rule book.

BTW-II: If any of you players watch the injury reports. Watch for MLB Barrett Rudd (for my local Bucs). If he shows up on it…look for a big drop off on ‘D / he is playing at a pro-bowl level / has tremendous responsibility and gets ZERO publicity. :ThmbUp: (And they have no backup)

OTM Al
11-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Two things rule football right now, betting and to a lesser extent but still pretty big, fantasy football. Take those away and you have baseball audiences.

Actually you have something more akin to NBA audiences. Baseball actually does pretty good these days

cj's dad
11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Actually you have something more akin to NBA audiences. Baseball actually does pretty good these days

I am astonished that any sane person can actually watch an NBA game on TV let alone travel to an arena, pay outlandish ticket prices and sit for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. watching a repetition
of the same mindless plays over and over ad nauseum.

And unfortunately college ball is following the same path.

Marshall Bennett
11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
.... and seems like the last minute of a game takes an hour to play .

toetoe
11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes, Ralph, we trainwreck enthusiasts like to watch ..................................

.............. BRETT FAVRE .................................................. ............