PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some justice on an annoying topic

cees with dees
11-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Anyone notice how the vast majority of the TVG staff have taken it upon themselves to make the L's silent in Javier Castellano's surname??
I've emailed them several times over the year because even if their pronunciation was correct, it is still tremendously pretentious.
On the NYRA website they now have some rider video cards.
JJ is one of them and he introduces himself with the L's being enunciated in all their glory.
I know this is an extremely minor subject in the grand scheme of things but when added to the list of ignorance involving that station like posting results before showing the tape delay, pre-empting a live race for the lady luck homework assignment, the failure to give shoe info and not just mud calks but aluminum pads as well, not being able to show the Breeders Cup live because they don't have the 'rights'.
I could go on much longer but the bottom line is, TVG is pure amatuer hour. And for them to take it upon themselves to deliberately mispronounce a name and then all the other brain deads follow suit is just another aspect that makes this station so difficult to tune into and as I don't get races on the computer, it's not like I have much choice.
Ben

Bubba X
11-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Anyone notice how the vast majority of the TVG staff have taken it upon themselves to make the L's silent in Javier Castellano's surname??
I've emailed them several times over the year because even if their pronunciation was correct, it is still tremendously pretentious.
On the NYRA website they now have some rider video cards.
JJ is one of them and he introduces himself with the L's being enunciated in all their glory.
I know this is an extremely minor subject in the grand scheme of things but when added to the list of ignorance involving that station like posting results before showing the tape delay, pre-empting a live race for the lady luck homework assignment, the failure to give shoe info and not just mud calks but aluminum pads as well, not being able to show the Breeders Cup live because they don't have the 'rights'.
I could go on much longer but the bottom line is, TVG is pure amatuer hour. And for them to take it upon themselves to deliberately mispronounce a name and then all the other brain deads follow suit is just another aspect that makes this station so difficult to tune into and as I don't get races on the computer, it's not like I have much choice.
BenHow can it be pretentious if it's correct?

Marshall Bennett
11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
not being able to show the Breeders Cup live because they don't have the 'rights'.
How could they show the BC live if they don't have " rights " ?

Tom Barrister
11-17-2008, 11:28 AM
How could they show the BC live if they don't have " rights " ?

They showed the track live that day, but not the races themselves.

ESPN has the live rights to the races, such being defined, to my understanding, as starting when the horses load into the gate and ending five minutes after the race is declared official. TVG (and whoever else has the right to carry the track that day) can air the track at other times.

ryesteve
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
How can it be pretentious if it's correct?Ditto... I thought the days of celebrating ignorance were mercifully coming to an end...

Hajck Hillstrom
11-17-2008, 12:29 PM
You say PrAdo and I say Prado, you say Castellano and I say CastAyano,
PrADo, Prado, Castellano, CastAyano..... Let's call the whole thing off.

It isn't so much pretentious as it is East Coast vs West, CA vs NY, or LA vs NYC.

I do hear ya though. The pronunciation game can be an irritating, sometimes frustrating, thing to listen to on any network, but in this case, let's give TVG credit for trying to get it correct.

Better than listening to Mike Valpredo butcher the pronunciation of every other horse and jock through ignorance.

cees with dees
11-17-2008, 02:27 PM
How can it be pretentious if it's correct?

Firstly, their pronunciation is wrong and second, it's like calling "Sam", "Samuel". It is correct but pretentious at the same time.
And by the way, Tom Durkin pronounces JJ's name correctly and given the choice, I'll follow him before any idiot at TVG.
Ben

cj's dad
11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
As Shakespeare (hope I spelled that right) might write:

"Much ado about nothing"

hibiscus
11-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Firstly, their pronunciation is wrong and second, it's like calling "Sam", "Samuel". It is correct but pretentious at the same time.
And by the way, Tom Durkin pronounces JJ's name correctly and given the choice, I'll follow him before any idiot at TVG.
Ben

Surprised you didn’t include certain TVG announcers pronouncing Kieran McLaughlin’s name as McLoflin when in fact it should be pronounced as McLoklin. That’s kind of like fingernails on a blackboard but, in the grander scheme of things….:rolleyes:

toetoe
11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
My guess is Coss-tel-YAW-no, with tel pronounced almost as ted, which understandably leads to variations such as Coss-te-JAW-no.

Now, to echo another poster, how can it be correct and simultaneously pretentious ?

Nailing those guys for pronunciation is like stuffing the Titanic's suggestion box with complaints about the color of the deck chairs. MAJOR flaws with TVG, much majorer than that, no ? (:Scratching heezy:) :confused:

toetoe
11-17-2008, 05:43 PM
cwd,

"... wrong ... correct ..." Which, please ?