PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Harness trickling away........

JustRalph
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2008/11/16/horsesale.ART_ART_11-16-08_D1_CKBSHE9.html?sid=101

Dying industry in Ohio forces Success Acres to sell its land and auction off its horses
Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:40 AM

SUNBURY, Ohio --- Matt Murphy had always envisioned that he and his wife, Lisa, would retire one day from Success Acres.

The standardbred horse farm was, after all, where the couple met, where they raised four children and where they've worked for more than 30 years.

At its peak, the 273-acre farm in eastern Delaware County ranked among Ohio's premier breeders, but the once-booming business has dwindled significantly in recent years.

All but one of the farm's horses, 74 mares and yearlings, will be auctioned off Monday at the Blooded Horse Sale at the fairgrounds in Delaware. The farm's emptied pastures already have been parceled out and sold.

"It's a lifestyle more than it is a job," said Murphy, 50, who owns a share of the farm he's managed for principal owner Merle Mullet of Berlin, Ohio, since 1982. "It's going to be a big adjustment."

The closing of Success Acres illustrates the struggles of the standardbred horse industry, said Sam Zonak, executive director of the Ohio State Racing Commission.

Ohio was the top producer of standardbred horses and bred more mares than any other state in 2005, then dropped to No. 2 in 2006 before slipping to No. 6 in 2007, according to the Ohio Harness Horsemen's Association.

Standardbreds bred for harness racing are trained with a harness to trot and pace. They pull a driver in a cart called a sulky. Thoroughbred horses are ridden by a jockey.

When business was good, Success Acres bred about 150 mares. This year, 25 were bred. Yearling sales have dropped, too, along with the price buyers will pay. The business no longer could carry itself.

"When you see the money going out, out, out and not coming in, time to stop the bleeding is basically what it comes down to," Murphy said.

~much more at the link~

ALostTexan
11-17-2008, 03:16 AM
This is a very sad, yet very true situation in Ohio. And thoroughbreds are even worse. I tried to explain this to several people when I was working for Issue 3 a few years ago, and they really didn't think that slots were that big of an issue, and they were ag people.

It is sort of like The Pretenders forcasted a long time ago. I really want to go back to Ohio down the road, but my racing will be gone...

wilderness
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Ohio is not alone here.

Illinois, Michigan, Kentucky, Maryland, Iowa, and California are some others.

In addition there are state programs (harness racing) that never gained the stature of the aforementioned pari-mutuel tracks that have failing Fair programs.

Big Fella
11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
It seems like the whole province of Quebec will be without standardbred racing in 2009. The owners of all four racetracks are seeking bankruptcy and they are presently under the creditors protection act. No racing calendar have been released for 2009.

Postime
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM
This breaks my heart to continue to read bad news about my home state and the sport I love, it is sometimes hard to face the truth. Please support a track near you. pt

sonnyp
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
when i was in highschool and college what a glorious day saturday was ! Wynn Elliot, the Shaeffer Circle of Sports brought us the feature race right after the Mets. " thank you Wynn, and the crowd of 65,000 moves closer to the rail and that can mean one thing, 'IT IS NOW POSTTIME' . fred capposella, braulio baeza, manny ycaza, john ruane, ron turcotte, bobby usery, john rotz,angel etc., etc., etc. damascus,dr. fager,buckpasser,shuvee and ta wee.

leaving the "flats" we heard the shouts of the guys hustling fares, "trotters, yonkers or roosevelt". 30 to 35,000 in attendence. Jack Lee, dancer, haughton,gilmore, fontaine, chapman, popfinger and 'the redman'. nevele pride, albatross, cardigan bay, genghis khan and oil burner.

am i the only one who longs for those days that are long, long gone but not forgotten ?

sometimes i just wonder on how we got here from there.......but i know things change. my italian immigrant grandfather lived his last 10 years in our house, and i used to see it in his eyes but i didn't understand it then. i understand it now. the world constantly changes around us. most of us don't change with it.

i speak for myself. those were simpler times......better times....and at least some of us have the memories.

LottaKash
11-17-2008, 11:23 PM
when i was in highschool and college what a glorious day saturday was ! Wynn Elliot, the Shaeffer Circle of Sports brought us the feature race right after the Mets. " thank you Wynn, and the crowd of 65,000 moves closer to the rail and that can mean one thing, 'IT IS NOW POSTTIME' . fred capposella, braulio baeza, manny ycaza, john ruane, ron turcotte, bobby usery, john rotz,angel etc., etc., etc. damascus,dr. fager,buckpasser,shuvee and ta wee.

leaving the "flats" we heard the shouts of the guys hustling fares, "trotters, yonkers or roosevelt". 30 to 35,000 in attendence. Jack Lee, dancer, haughton,gilmore, fontaine, chapman, popfinger and 'the redman'. nevele pride, albatross, cardigan bay, genghis khan and oil burner.

am i the only one who longs for those days that are long, long gone but not forgotten ?

sometimes i just wonder on how we got here from there.......but i know things change. my italian immigrant grandfather lived his last 10 years in our house, and i used to see it in his eyes but i didn't understand it then. i understand it now. the world constantly changes around us. most of us don't change with it.

i speak for myself. those were simpler times......better times....and at least some of us have the memories.

Hey SonnyP, you are not alone, I remember each and everyone of those names...... Ya Caught me smiling about those days, miss them, they were a big part of my life back then........It all seems so sterile and matter of fact these days.......

Jack Lee and Fred Caposella two of the best. if not, the most unique race-callers of all time, IMO..

best,

sonnyp
11-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey SonnyP, you are not alone, I remember each and everyone of those names...... Ya Caught me smiling about those days, miss them, they were a big part of my life back then........It all seems so sterile and matter of fact these days.......

Jack Lee and Fred Caposella two of the best. if not, the most unique race-callers of all time, IMO..

best,

best from the best ;

Jack Lee calling a race at roosevelt in which Carmine, as usual, tried to get to the front, but got parked the entire mile. as the field entered the final turn, and after repeatedly making note, humorously, of the "redman's" predicament Lee quipped, "and Carmine Abbatello is STILL getting alot of that good, fresh roosevelt air!!!"

Fred Cappasella totally void of emotion, but unique and brilliant nonetheless, while calling one of dr. fager's brilliant and dazzling performances could not restrain himself as this champion approaced the 16th pole with a daylight lead over a good field. i'm sure he felt he really went wild when he uttered, "and they won't catch the GOOD DOCTOR today !!!

mr. lottacash we were fortunate to have been there.

wilderness
11-18-2008, 12:27 AM

Most of the younger folks that attend the races these days, are without concept that that many people attended harness racing.

Even when they are provided with old crowd photo's, they simply ooh and aah at the crowd size.

The experience of elbow-to-elbow crowds is something that one never forgets and clings to dreams of the possibility of that scenario. . .just one more time.

badcompany
11-28-2008, 05:15 AM
This breaks my heart to continue to read bad news about my home state and the sport I love, it is sometimes hard to face the truth. Please support a track near you. pt

I enjoy harness racing, too.

But, I'm not going to play a game that doesn't give me at least a fighting chance. I'm talking about 25% takeouts on trifectas.