PDA

View Full Version : Ken Massa Evacuated…

DanG
11-16-2008, 08:31 AM
I realize this is the wrong forum for this, but I know many cappers are aware of Ken and this forum does reach the most viewers. PA: Please remove it if it’s inappropriate.

Please keep all of those ravaged by the fires in California in your thoughts and prayers.

Ken Massa (HTR) was evacuated and unfortunately I believe his parent’s and sister’s house might be lost in the blaze. Too early to tell the fate of Ken’s home, but his family is safe as he recovered what he could before leaving.

To anyone within reach we are thinking about you and don’t hesitate to reach out for assistance to your extended internet based family. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
11-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Absolutely!

Hopefully nothing will be lost and, in the worse-case scenario, nothing that cannot be replaced.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

DanG
11-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Just concluding the story here on a happy note for Ken and his family. This post appeared on HTR’s bbs a short time ago... (PA: Thanks for the forum :ThmbUp: )

24 Hours in Hell

Here is what it looked like as we threw our stuff in the cars to evacuate the fire zone. The winds were strong and it was an unpredictable firestorm that could easily wipe out anything in its path as you probably saw on the news.

http://homebased2.com/pics/DSC_1303.JPG

My sister and family live about 6 furlongs up the street from us, and were right in the middle of it. The firefighters are amazingly courageous. They will allow the fire to burn right up to the homes and then make a stand and douse it before it hits the neighborhood. This has to be done to allow the dry brush to burn up so it won't re-ignite. They saved her house.

We are also fine and home now. All families members exhausted but safe and grateful that we suffered no damage. We stayed in hotel last night, but couldn't sleep a wink wondering what we would return to.

Thank you all very much for the prayers, well-wishes and kind thoughts in the other thread. I'm going to print that thread and add it to my wife's scrapbook of our life story. You are all wonderful friends and i'm very appreciative.

Mother Nature has a predictable cycle: about every 20 years she burns out the brush and dead vegetation during dry cycles to replenish the land. Unfortunately, people build houses and live in the middle of this natural event. There is nothing left to burn in Yorba Linda now, so the fire has moved on and we will be safe from fire for awhile.

DeanT
11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
That is good news.

And this:

My sister and family live about 6 furlongs up the street from us

Ya, that's a horseplayer.

1320 yards for the non horseplayers.

njcurveball
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
That is good news.

And this:

Ya, that's a horseplayer.

1320 yards for the non horseplayers.

Dean was right, he said YARDS above! I thought it said feet! Sorry Dean!

DeanT
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I thought a furlong was 220 yards. What am I missing?

PaceAdvantage
11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Great to read a happy ending to one of these stories! Thanks Dan for keeping us informed. I can't tell you how many times I saw the story about the fires on the news these past two days and thought to myself how I hope nobody from PaceAdvantage is caught up in that horror.