PDA

View Full Version : the R word

Suff
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Rep. Davis: GOP a ‘white, rural, regional party’

Virginia Republican Congressman Tom Davis (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15259.html) said Tuesday that the GOP will have to “retool” after the election because it has become “a white, rural, regional party.”

“We've become a regional party, basically become a white, rural, regional party, and not a national party. And we're going to have to retool ourselves,” he added.

One of the most interesting developments from November 4th was the confirmation of the Republican Party as a regional party. Yes, the South has served as the base of the GOP's coalition for at least 40 years, so it comes as little surprise that John McCain by and large carried the region. However, what does stand out was how relatively poorly McCain fared elsewhere

The South accounted for 111 of the electoral votes earned by the McCain-Palin campaign . This means that nearly two of every three electoral votes for the Republicans came from the South.

McCain won only the South, with Barack Obama taking 54 percent of vote in the Midwest, 57 percent of the vote in the West, and 59 percent of the Northeast.

Compounding this problem for the GOP is the fact that the party's membership in Congress will be relatively more Southern than it was before, The new even more Southern tinge to the party could serve to only reinforce the regional focus of the party as members outside of the region wield less and less power and the party apparatus in the remainder of the country atrophies

Tom
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
One mans' opinion.
Not what conservatives are looking at.
He is one who will most like have to go.

Show Me the Wire
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Suff:

Get yourself a life.

witchdoctor
11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
To quote that great southern leader Bill Clinton "It's the economy Stupid."

Suff
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Suff:

Get yourself a life.

The giving index. You recall that? I do. You took up arms with that index and swung it across the country as a weapon.

Be a big girl and take your medicine quietly.

DRIVEWAY
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
The Dem's did well because:

1. 6.5% unemployment
2. Credit meltdown
3. Home foreclosures
4. George W Bush
5. 650 Million Obama Campaign Chest

To declare republicans as white regional is to ignor the regional and racial makeup of the democrats.

Obama made the new campaign rules - all 650 milllion of them. I'm wondering
what 2-4 years of Obama, Pelosi and Reid will do to republican campaign collections.

The game continues.

Show Me the Wire
11-14-2008, 02:33 PM
The giving index. You recall that? I do. You took up arms with that index and swung it across the country as a weapon.

Be a big girl and take your medicine quietly.

I have not a clue what you are referring to. As I said, get your self a life, for your own benefit.

ddog
11-14-2008, 02:44 PM

1. 6.5% unemployment
2. Credit meltdown
3. Home foreclosures
4. George W Bush

To declare republicans as white regional is to ignor the regional and racial makeup of the democrats.

Obama made the new campaign rules - all 650 milllion of them. I'm wondering
what 2-4 years of Obama, Pelosi and Reid will do to republican campaign collections.

The game continues.

I didn't and won't vote for either of the two of them , but I am curious , what did the statement "ignore the regional and racial makeup of the dims" mean?

I don't get it.

When will pugs carry the east or western population centers??/
For that matter Florida anymore?

As to money what did the RCN and DNC raise, didn't the pugs still have an advantage there? bigtime?

bama and the money, well if you can raise it then more power to you.
The mac/fiengold deal was always a dud to me.
We spend more on pet food or cookies than elections.

Dubya did the deed all by his lonesome, he is the only guy that could get a dud like bama in.

Davis is already GONE , he resigned, he was correct , the well was poisoned so to speak, how else to explain a center right country going for a bama type and with 53-54%?
I could see 49 to 48 , but not that spread.

You can spin all you want, the pugs are toast , in this incarnation, and I don't think it will even matter in two years, more of them are going.

If they flat oppose anything and everything they will take a beating.

If they make the mistake of Palin out front , they will be wiped out for 10-20years.

She conveys running on empty no matter the truth of it.

DRIVEWAY
11-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I didn't and won't vote for either of the two of them , but I am curious , what did the statement "ignore the regional and racial makeup of the dims" mean?

I don't get it.

When will pugs carry the east or western population centers??/
For that matter Florida anymore?

As to money what did the RCN and DNC raise, didn't the pugs still have an advantage there? bigtime?

bama and the money, well if you can raise it then more power to you.
The mac/fiengold deal was always a dud to me.
We spend more on pet food or cookies than elections.

Dubya did the deed all by his lonesome, he is the only guy that could get a dud like bama in.

Davis is already GONE , he resigned, he was correct , the well was poisoned so to speak, how else to explain a center right country going for a bama type and with 53-54%?
I could see 49 to 48 , but not that spread.

You can spin all you want, the pugs are toast , in this incarnation, and I don't think it will even matter in two years, more of them are going.

If they make the mistake of Palin out front , they will be wiped out for 10-20years.

She conveys running on empty no matter the truth of it.

The democrats outraised the republicans big time. These things go in cycles. What do u mean by a bama type?

sammy the sage
11-14-2008, 04:44 PM
ddog...you have mail!

Suff
11-14-2008, 05:10 PM

1. 6.5% unemployment
2. Credit meltdown
3. Home foreclosures
4. George W Bush

Only one of those conditions existed in 2006 when Democrats took the House and Senate. And 6 Governor's mansions, and 12 state legislative branches. However I don't want to sway you from consoling yourself in whatever manner you decide. The Republican party is a fringe regional party.

This from Republican Blog

The far right doesn't want to actually diagnose what's wrong with the GOP and understand why we're now a regional party; they just want to yack back and forth, turn more people away, and go to bed each night believing they've got it all figured out.

People call economic conservatives who are socially liberal "Democrats" because the Republican party has alienated these former Republicans. The voters that Goldberg talks about aren't Democrats because they're socially liberal, they're Democrats in spite of the fact that they're economically conservative

Mitt Romney (http://www.weeklystandard.com/content/public/articles/000/000/013/222htyos.asp), Rudy Giuliani and George Pataki (http://www-cgi.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/analysis/interviews/06/07/index.shtml) used to be successful, socially moderate Republicans. Because the term "Republican" is now synonymous with gimmickry and hypocrisy, however, none of these three men would stand a chance in their home states if they were running today. If the braintrust of the Party wants to concede the northeast, the northwest, and an increasing number of other regions in the country, they should just say so. What won't work is fooling ourselves into thinking that Republicans can't win in Massachusetts because they're not socially conservative enough.

From NY Times
"The Republicans, meanwhile, have “become a Southernized party,” said Mr. Schaller, who teaches at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. “They have completely marginalized themselves to a mostly regional party,” he said, pointing out that nearly half of the current Republican House delegation is now Southern.

"Even the Democrats made use of the Southern strategy, as the party’s two presidents in the last 40 years, Jimmy Carter (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/jimmy_carter/index.html?inline=nyt-per) and Mr. Clinton, were Southerners whose presence on the ticket served to assuage regional anxieties. Mr. Obama has now proved it is no longer necessary to include a Southerner on the national ticket — to quiet racial fears, for example — in order to win, in the view of analysts

delayjf
11-14-2008, 05:17 PM

O really, as far as I'm concerned the Demwits can have at it. All their big Government tax and spend "solutions" have been tried before and failed. They will fail again.

DRIVEWAY
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
The dems won in 2006 because of frustration with the WAR. They were supposed to end the WAR.

They failed.

Now they have no excuses. The dems are responsibly for what happens on the war/terror front and the economic front (health care reform, tax changes, employment levels, immigration).

The flood gates for political contributions have been opened by Obama. Let's see how much each party collects for 2010.

The dems are now responsible for every problem. Voters will have second thoughts by 2010.

PaceAdvantage
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
This has all been played out before....remember during Reagan when the word LIBERAL was considered a dirty word?

And look at liberals and Democrats today.

People who think Republicans and conservatives are going the way of the dinosaur aren't being honest with themselves.

Like I said, if all it took were a landslide election and a little name calling, Democrats and liberals would have ceased to exist in 1984.

ddog
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
O really, as far as I'm concerned the Demwits can have at it. All their big Government tax and spend "solutions" have been tried before and failed. They will fail again.

yall don't get it , i am not rooting for them, just saying if you think the good ole boy southern strategy is going to make a comeback then you and the other gooduns better get to spawning awfully fast.

hard to fight the tide elsewise.

you guys are so baked into the lib con deal you don't seem to see the whole electorate is changing and that the old labels are not going to work.

Most of the new people in the country are con on social issues but they are not going to vote against their family and/or economic interests anymore.

if you think this economy is going back to BOOM in the next 4-5 years you are dreaming.

if you think the boomers that will make up the over 65 the next time around are going pug/con you are dreaming.
They will vote for the gimme party and that isn't con values or didn't used to be.

unless a different pug/con message is presented then imo today's PUGS ARE TOAST.

I am not saying NEVER , i am saying the next 15-20 years , maybe we will be totally fascist by then or a bunch of individual islands of states, who knows.

delayjf
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
They will vote for the gimme party and that isn't con values or didn't used to be.
I agree with you with regards to he above, it's always easier to "buy" someone's vote. But that will only work to an extent and eventually entitlements can lead to economic disaster which for the lower class means a loss of jobs. Look at the sub-prime market and it's affect on our economy. Affordable housing for everyone sounds great on paper - but in reality, how did it work in practice?