PDA

View Full Version : A Graphic Reminder…

DanG
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I don’t know; sometimes I’ll channel surf / read a paper (on the 6th page :mad: ) or a magazine and it will hit me how far removed we are from our men and women in harms way.

I realize our nation has a very short attention span and currently the economy seems to be dominating our collective discussions.

Here’s a vivid reminder of the mission we have assigned these heroic Americans and they should be in our thoughts and prayers far more then they are imo.

In keeping with the dwindling attention span theme here’s a short :20 second clip of what is a harsh reality for someone’s father / son / mother or daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jk2sIp5MRQ

ddog
11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
and that's why every one of these guys and gals that doesn't come back whole should be shown on tv when they arrive if they consent.

the burials if they wish should be on national tv if the family wishes.

it's too easy to push it away for those who don't have someone in it, way too easy.

We hide it like it doesn't happen.

shamefull.

Tom
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
As bad as it was, the coverage of Viet Nam is what we have to have. This sanitized censored coverage is not fair. If we are willing to send our troops to war, we MUST be prepared to address it daily as it is, no matter what it might to our support of the wars. I suspect a lot of supporters would change their minds if they had to see the real deal. Maybe some of those against it might change their minds if they saw the enemy up close, too.

It is what it is, we have a responsibility to know what it is like.

DanG
11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
As bad as it was, the coverage of Viet Nam is what we have to have. This sanitized censored coverage is not fair. If we are willing to send our troops to war, we MUST be prepared to address it daily as it is, no matter what it might to our support of the wars. I suspect a lot of supporters would change their minds if they had to see the real deal. Maybe some of those against it might change their minds if they saw the enemy up close, too.

Well said Tom and ddog!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

sammy the sage
11-14-2008, 09:43 AM
AGREE w/what previous poster's have stated 110%!

it's THE reason we are EVEN allowed to dis-agree on other topics!

ddog
11-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Tom,

The enemy up close is exactly on point!

I know I and others disgree on the means and maybe to some extent the ends we want/hope to see come from our efforts and sacrifices since 9/11 , but I know one thing without dispute is there are enemies of not just us , but of the type of societies and freedoms we want for ourselves and also to offer other countries/peoples the chance to decide how they want to live.

To have that sanitized by MSM and sadly our gvt who feels "we can't handle it" really saddens me.

I hope more of the "dark side" is layed out, I feel it's the only way to gain/keep support of the people we need both here and abroad.

I think our gvt for too long doesn't really trust us to make tough chices.

I hope that could change, but will not be holding my breath.