PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Hoffman

Bubbles
11-13-2008, 12:46 AM
After all this, I sure HOPE he closes for someone next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/You-stay-classy-San-Diego-Padres-fax-a-good-by?urn=mlb,121295

By FAX, San Diego? SERIOUSLY?!

In all honesty, if the Angels are letting K-Rod go, which seems possible, he may be helpful there. He's old, yeah, but he had a sub-2.00 ERA after June this past season, so he's probably got another season or two left in that arm, if not as a closer, then as Shields's set-up man.

Other possible locations could include the Mets (need ANYONE in their bullpen), the A's (just traded away one of their top relievers), heck, maybe even the Yankees as a set-up guy (lord knows they need SOMEONE to get the ball to Rivera). Obviously, none of these would be long-term fits, but it buys the farm systems some time to churn out some young guys. Give him a one-year deal with an option for a second, and see what a future Hall of Famer has left in the tank.

At any rate, I sure hope he gets a chance to set the Padres down in order after walking out to "Hell's Bells." Lost a lot of respect for San Diego tonight. :bang:

eastie
11-13-2008, 01:45 AM
maybe if he had gotton the one save he really needed and got them to the world series........choke-artist

rrbauer
11-13-2008, 02:25 AM
After all this, I sure HOPE he closes for someone next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/You-stay-classy-San-Diego-Padres-fax-a-good-by?urn=mlb,121295

By FAX, San Diego? SERIOUSLY?!

In all honesty, if the Angels are letting K-Rod go, which seems possible, he may be helpful there. He's old, yeah, but he had a sub-2.00 ERA after June this past season, so he's probably got another season or two left in that arm, if not as a closer, then as Shields's set-up man.

Other possible locations could include the Mets (need ANYONE in their bullpen), the A's (just traded away one of their top relievers), heck, maybe even the Yankees as a set-up guy (lord knows they need SOMEONE to get the ball to Rivera). Obviously, none of these would be long-term fits, but it buys the farm systems some time to churn out some young guys. Give him a one-year deal with an option for a second, and see what a future Hall of Famer has left in the tank.

At any rate, I sure hope he gets a chance to set the Padres down in order after walking out to "Hell's Bells." Lost a lot of respect for San Diego tonight. :bang:

Angels have Arredondo in the wings as their next super-closer. K-Rod is expendable, especially with his price tag, to become just another ex-Angel closer working somewhere else like Percival, Jenks and Gregg.

I don't see the fuss over the fax to Hoffman's agent. How have they been communicating? Would an email have been better? This is a big-buck business: Millionaires with agents. That's where we're at and Hoffman's made some $58M since '00. Now, at 41, he wants to get touchy-feely with his career dipping faster than his splitter?

Bubbles
11-13-2008, 09:49 AM
maybe if he had gotton the one save he really needed and got them to the world series........choke-artist
See, you can say that to a point, but that's a double-edged sword. Without him, the Padres don't come CLOSE to winning the 1998 pennant.

DanG
11-13-2008, 10:10 AM
The guy has had an undeniably tremendous career. :ThmbUp:

I only saw him once last year, but he looked finished to me. Having said that; while the AL is superior he “may” be able to help a contender short term considering the league really hasn’t seen that good change up very often.

CincyHorseplayer
11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
His ERA might have drifted a little bit and his velocity drifted down but with w WHIP of 1.04 he has plenty to be an effective closer.We have Francisco Cordero here in Cincinnati getting it done with a WHIP of 1.41.Hoffman's puts his in with the elite of closers still,behind only Rivera,Soria,Wagner,Nathan,and Papelbon.

rrbauer
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
His ERA might have drifted a little bit and his velocity drifted down but with w WHIP of 1.04 he has plenty to be an effective closer.We have Francisco Cordero here in Cincinnati getting it done with a WHIP of 1.41.Hoffman's puts his in with the elite of closers still,behind only Rivera,Soria,Wagner,Nathan,and Papelbon.

Yeah, but when some of those "H"'s are dingers it creates the wrong type of closure!

DanG
11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Interesting Cincy; I didn’t realize his #’s were still that good. I wonder what they are when adjusted for a true pitchers park like Petco?

CincyHorseplayer
11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but when some of those "H"'s are dingers it creates the wrong type of closure!

That might be the thing with whoever thinks about acquiring him.While he only gave up 8 HR's last season you would think being in Petco has saved him from more dingers.Strangely he gave up 7 at home.Wow.If he were here in Cincy at GABP what would that blow up with his 0.75 GO/AO ratio.

Valuist
11-14-2008, 08:54 PM

I would definitely NOT put Cordero in the class with those closers, or the unmentioned K-Rod. Cordero's numbers were virtually identical to Kerry Wood's, and it was a good year for Cordero. Only Jason Isringhausen (54 blown saves) has had more blown saves than Cordero's 52 since 2000. For those of you wondering, the top 5 of blown saves is rounded out with LaTroy Hawkins (46) Todd Jones (45) and both Billy Wagner and Armando Benitez at 44.