PDA

View Full Version : For those who said this year's 3yo crop sucked

PaceAdvantage
11-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Isn't it interesting that a three-year-old bred in KENTUCKY won the Breeders' Cup Classic? :lol:

Marshall Bennett
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah , seems like every year the 3yr. olds suck :lol: its hell to be three .

sammy the sage
11-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Actually had Raven's Pass played in Kentucky Derby future's...

then my money was gONE!

think those people living in the sands are ONE step in front of us at the moment...maybe 2...

and not just horse racing...we'll leave it at that!

lamboguy
11-12-2008, 11:16 PM
TWO STEP SALSA, who got sold last week, turned out to be the best united states based 3 yo in the breeders cup races this year.

he was the best on the california synthetic surface. when he went to the pennsylvania derby he got out bad and got dusted as the favorite.

not only was it a change in surface, but also he was not allowed to be on winstrohl. as far as i know he was off the steroids at least a month before the philly race.

he certainly is a great horse, but you never know what a horse like that does once he hits the breeders shed.

personally i love malibu moon because he only ran 2 races, and i know mel stute who trained him.

cj
11-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure most people mean the crop racing here. The best horse in the world was a 3yo filly.

Speed Figure
11-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm pretty sure most people mean the crop racing here. The best horse in the world was a 3yo filly.I would stay your right about the crop racing here. Most of the 3yos over there we really don't know much about. Plus, that best horse in the world was a European!!

JustRalph
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty sure most people mean the crop racing here. The best horse in the world was a 3yo filly.

and another filly might have been in the top 5 or better if she hadn't gone down in the Derby...........damn shame.

Tee
11-13-2008, 12:09 AM
A very nice 3 yr old(well at least I thought so) that was sidelined back in Feb is working again in SoCal.

Humph
11-13-2008, 03:57 AM
I would stay your right about the crop racing here. Most of the 3yos over there we really don't know much about. Plus, that best horse in the world was a European!!

The Euro 3-Y-O crop certainly was decent this year, especially over a mile. But there were a couple of other stars we didn't get to see at the BC. Obviously Zarkava was one of them, but New Approach - who won the Epsom Derby over 12 furlongs , ran Henrythenavigator to within a nose over a mile in the 2000 Guineas, and routed older horses ( his victims weren't great but he did stop the clock in rapid time ) in the Champion Stakes at Newmarket over 10 - was another very talented 3-Y-O.

Gorgeous George
11-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Isn't it interesting that a three-year-old bred in KENTUCKY won the Breeders' Cup Classic? :lol:

its funny the way you's yanks are latching on to our winners in anyway possible. I remember having an argument with you's months ago about how we europeans would destroy you's in the breeders cup but i came in for alot of stick. Ravens Pass may have been bred in Kentucky but he was trained in england by an english trainer so maybe you's should look at how you train your horses. I cant wait till next year when we hammer your druggie horses again!!!!he who laughs last laughs longest :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p

LottaKash
11-13-2008, 05:39 AM
its funny the way you's yanks are latching on to our winners in anyway possible. horses again!!!!he who laughs last laughs longest :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p

GG, that is a lot of Smilies.........:jump:

best,

Tom
11-13-2008, 07:34 AM
One horse is not a crop.
I think the overall crop was pathetic.

Hey George, look your record overall. On dirt, you guys are not exactly awesome. But I do like way YOU leech on to the success of those you had zero to do with to pound your chest.:lol::lol:

DanG
11-13-2008, 07:57 AM
A quick Gosden (trainer of Raven’s Pass) story my brother reminded me of during the BC;

Many years ago my brother and I are in Del Mar (he was working for Proctor) in a pub we are playing darts with Paddy Gallagher, Ian Jory and Gosden stops in briefly. Paddy introduces my brother and I and that’s really the end of it.

The next day where in the supermarket and Gosden and his kids come up behind and call us both by name. Now; I don’t know about you good people; but I struggle with my own name much less people I just met with all the horses I have in my head.

Long winded way of saying; it’s that attention to detail that separates many trainers. His work in peaking Raven’s Pass (running his prep overweight) and telling every one who would listen he would love two turns / the added distance was exceptional. :ThmbUp:

BTW: The 3yo fillies (as CJ mentioned the great Zarkava) the last few years worldwide (including our own) have been exceptional.

JeremyJet
11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Gorgeous George,

How can you be so sure the European horses are clean?

FWIW, RAVEN'S PASS ran on lasix in the BC Classic.

JeremyJet

JustRalph
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Wow, between the two of you, you got a whole sentence right. Bi-partisan cooperation between the countries! :lol:

Now if we can get you to agree on horses............

Not Likely! :lol:

Living Flame
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
A very nice 3 yr old(well at least I thought so) that was sidelined back in Feb is working again in SoCal.

I loved Crown of Thorns,too. I'd forgotten about him. Very excited to hear he is back.:jump: I'll be looking forward to seeing him and Into Mischief (hopefully!).

The Judge
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I and about 6 other people claimed a horse at Golden Gate named Lady Glorious Jeff Bonde was our trainer. I only met Jeff a couple of times usually when the horse ran, only went to the back-side once.

About 3 years after horse had been sold I was standing on the stairs at Baymeadows Jeff walks by and calls me by name. I was impressed as was those standing near by.

Tee
11-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Into Mischief looked pretty good winning the 7 furlong Damascus Stakes @ Oak Tree 10/25(race after BC Classic.) He got back to the track a couple days ago working 4F in 48 flat.

I loved Crown of Thorns,too. I'd forgotten about him. Very excited to hear he is back.:jump: I'll be looking forward to seeing him and Into Mischief (hopefully!).

cj's dad
11-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Ravens Pass may have been bred in Kentucky but he was trained in england by an english trainer :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p

So GG, if Kobe Bryant, born in the USA, had gone on to Europe and played b-ball there, his success would be attributable to his European coach? :lol:

BTW- get over the Revolution, we YANKS won fair and square.

PaceAdvantage
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
its funny the way you's yanks are latching on to our winners in anyway possible. I remember having an argument with you's months ago about how we europeans would destroy you's in the breeders cup but i came in for alot of stick.Months ago I was writing that both Curlin and Big Brown would likely get beat in the BC Classic by a Euro. Look it up.

onefast99
11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Months ago I was writing that both Curlin and Big Brown would likely get beat in the BC Classic by a Euro. Look it up.
One did and the other went to stud. Curlin didnt take to the pro-ride. You made a good call on the Breeders Cup.

so.cal.fan
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
The Arabs purchase or breed a large number of good horses we breed in Ky.
The three year old who won the BC is obviously a world CLASS animal.
However.....maybe, just maybe some of the poor performances at Santa Anita were due to a BAN on STEROIDS a couple of months before the BC, which I understand was one of the stipulations made with European owners and trainers.
It got my attention, because I had always attributed poor performances in Calif. and Florida to the hot weather. Well.....it was 90' or more BC day at Santa Anita, and they all did just fine.....except for some of the American horses who did not have the advantage of certain steroids.

Gorgeous George
11-14-2008, 04:49 AM
So GG, if Kobe Bryant, born in the USA, had gone on to Europe and played b-ball there, his success would be attributable to his European coach? :lol:

BTW- get over the Revolution, we YANKS won fair and square.

i couldn't care about the revolution as i am irish. Yes obviously the coach would get the praise for COACHING him to success.

By the way when Kobe Bryant was six, his father left the NBA, moved his family to Italy and started playing professional basketball there. He also was trained by europeans and then became the great he was back in the US. A bit like Ravens Pass :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powder River Gin
11-14-2008, 09:05 AM
My feeling as far as training goes: The Euros are better at your longer distances and the N.A. trainers are better at the mile and a quarter and less. Just the way I see it.
The steriods may have had a little to do with it because the ban was so close to the race; the horses that were on them didn't have time to get back into top "non-juice" form.
I'm an outsider to the TB racing world but I don't think there was anybody watching that didn't think the surface had something to do with the BC Classic. After watching the Euro horses do well in all the other races my feeling was that the dirt trained horses were going to have to be extra extra sharp to win that weekend.
The 3 year old crop was good in my estimation. Good racing amongst themselves and against older horses. :)

cj's dad
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I saw Joe Bryant play - he stunk - thats why he moved to Europe.:lol: BTW- Irish/English ?? Close enuf!!i couldn't care about the revolution as i am irish. Yes obviously the coach would get the praise for COACHING him to success.

By the way when Kobe Bryant was six, his father left the NBA, moved his family to Italy and started playing professional basketball there. He also was trained by europeans and then became the great he was back in the US. A bit like Ravens Pass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom Barrister
11-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Volponi won the 2002 BC Classic. Giacamo won the 2005 Derby. That doesn't make either of them great or any of the ones they beat bad. It just means they got to the wire first in those specific races.

Ravens Pass won this year's Classic. That doesn't make him outstanding or any of the horses he beat inferior. It just means he got to the wire first in that race.

Gorgeous George
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I saw Joe Bryant play - he stunk - thats why he moved to Europe.:lol: BTW- Irish/English ?? Close enuf!!

cj's dad you really are a plank, i was referring to kobe bryant he moved with his father to italy and played and was coached until he was fourteen by a EUROPEAN coach then moved back to the USA and became a legend just like RAVENS PASS.

Irish hate the english thats why we tried to blow it up. so thats why i dont care about the american revolution in fact i know nothing about it so your wasting your time trying to get an argument out of me.

ps your right joe bryant did stink just like the drugged up yank horses in the BC.:D :D :D

cj's dad
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
GG- try to lighten up a bit- I'm not trying to start a argument at all- just poking a bit of fun your way.I've been to Ireland and England- love both places and the people. I'm 1/2 Irish and my wife was 1/2 English and we managed just fine.

BTW, I don't know what a "plank" is but I assume it's not good:eek: Also, I'm not a "Yank"; I'm an Orioles fan.:D

cj's dad you really are a plank, i was referring to kobe bryant he moved with his father to italy and played and was coached until he was fourteen by a EUROPEAN coach then moved back to the USA and became a legend just like RAVENS PASS.

Irish hate the english thats why we tried to blow it up. so thats why i dont care about the american revolution in fact i know nothing about it so your wasting your time trying to get an argument out of me.

ps your right joe bryant did stink just like the drugged up yank horses in the BC.:D :D :D