PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is next? Parents Paid to walk kids to school?

JustRalph
11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/article3432991.ece

Fat parents could be paid to walk their children to school

Overweight parents could be paid to walk their children to school as part of a Government campaign to fight the obesity epidemic

Only 11.5 per cent of parents whose children were overweight recognised that they had a problem Photo: Ian Jones
Under the scheme people who exercise would receive supermarket-style vouchers to spend on sports gear and healthy food.

Those attending keep-fit classes or weight loss clubs could be eligible for rewards, as well as those walking to bus or train stations.

Critics claim the rewards will be a form of bribery. It is thought machines would be placed in schools or stations so parents or commuters could swipe their cards to tot up points.

The proposal will be assessed during a pilot project in Manchester, one of nine areas designated as "healthy towns".

It will be announced today by Alan Johnson, the Health Secretary, who will encourage every business to take action agains obesity.

But the plans have caused controversy, with small business leaders warning that they were already too stretched and that the current economic climate was "not the right time" to ask them to do more.

Mr Johnson is expected to say that a massive effort is required to alert the nation, and especially parents, to the risks of obesity, as he outlines plans for a nationwide £325 million "revolution" on the problem.

~more at the link~

HUSKER55
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
This is the kind of programs we need to drop that I posted in another thread.

Tom
11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Obama's economic plan is also his plan to fight obesity......tax the food right off of your table! :lol:

Dahoss9698
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
What exactly does that article have to do with Obama?

Tom
11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Right over your head, huh?:rolleyes:

Dahoss9698
11-11-2008, 11:24 PM
No I got the "joke". You might actually want to read the article though. Seriously....

sammy the sage
11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Reading comprhension here is.... :faint: :eek: :rolleyes:

just point finger's at the ""party/person"" you don't like...

never mind WHAT is ACTUALLY written/said/disussed/debated ...

that WOULD require ACTUAL thought/thinking! :lol: :D

Greyfox
11-11-2008, 11:53 PM
:lol:1 mile of walking might equal 104 calories.
To remove 1 lb. of weight might equal 3500 calories.
So when a parent, walks a kid back and forth to school over approximately
34 plus miles, he/she will lose a pound, assuming that he/she continues to eat the same. :lol: :lol: "Fat Chance!":lol:

sammy the sage
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
my grandpa...

we walked in blizzard at 15 degree's or 105 degree's...either way..burned off mANY calorie's....

I told him...many brain cells as well! :D

RichieP
11-12-2008, 04:12 AM
Cut out the 3 "whites"
flour
sugar
salt

Drink a gallon of water a day

Substitute fruits (green grapes,oranges,blueberries etc) for processed sugar for the sweet tooth

Ground turkey and ground chicken replace red meat

Walk 2-4 miles a day OR 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 days a week. Just "Keep it Moving"

I've lost :4::3: pounds in less than :4: months doing the above and have never felt better in my life. NO gyms,personal trainers,weights,fad diets,pills etc.

Now where the heck is my check??? :faint::faint:

Tom
11-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Reading comprhension here is.... :faint: :eek: :rolleyes:

just point finger's at the ""party/person"" you don't like...

never mind WHAT is ACTUALLY written/said/disussed/debated ...

that WOULD require ACTUAL thought/thinking! :lol: :D

You should follow your own advice sometime.

Boris
11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Ralph, you asked what is next? Look to the Nanny State of California.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/us/10bake.html

Bake Sales Fall Victim to Push for Healthier Foods

The old-fashioned school bake sale, once as American as apple pie, is fast becoming obsolete in California, a result of strict new state nutrition standards for public schools that regulate the types of food that can be sold to students. The guidelines were passed by lawmakers in 2005 and took effect in July 2007. They require that snacks sold during the school day contain no more than 35 percent sugar by weight and derive no more than 35 percent of their calories from fat and no more than 10 percent of their calories from saturated fat.

The Piedmont High water polo team falls woefully short of these standards, selling cupcakes, caramel apples and lemon bars off campus in a flagrant act of nutritional disobedience.

“I know obesity is a big problem, and it’s good the school cares,” said Sam Cardoza, a senior who briefly became a successful entrepreneur last year when chocolate chip cookies were banned from the cafeteria. “At the same time, you shouldn’t stop a kid from buying a cookie.”

Ugh!

JustRalph
11-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Man, I miss those "cake walks" in elementary school.............. did anybody else have those?

Amazing..........

ddog
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
that isn't nanny state but stupid state b.s.

the school has nothing to say about what the swim team sells at a bake sale and I don't see that maintained? but has every right to regulate what is sold IN SCHOOL to the students to eat.

Is this the level of thinking we must sink to?

Is it Nanny state intervention when we regulate dog or cat food from china to try to stop them from killing your PET, but trying to push healthier food in school for your KID is somehow nanny run amuck?

As to the walking kids to school deal in England was it? How exactly will that be monitored anyway.

Seems unworkable although not a bad idea to "bribe" people to be a little healthier, it obviuosly is a long run payoff.

You get bribed all the time everyday to do things , no big deal.

wonatthewire1
11-12-2008, 09:51 PM
This is the kind of programs we need to drop that I posted in another thread.

Husker - the article is referring to the UK

HUSKER55
11-13-2008, 05:11 AM
wonatthewire1, you are correct. Sorry. I need to read things better.