PDA

View Full Version : The "name" factor

Rick Ransom
07-08-2001, 04:59 PM
I was just looking at one of my books and found some research on an interesting factor. The author studied 1002 races and separated the horses into two groups, those whose names included people's first or last names, and those who didn't. The average odds of the horses that included people's names was 8.38-1, the others 11.95-1. He didn't say how many were in each group. Is it possible that people really bet that much more on horses with names of people that they know? Talk about "dumb money".

Actually, I bought the book because it contains some studies of "body language" factors. If you're interested, the book is "Trackfacts" by Dan DiPleco. I think it's still available at Gambler's Book Club in Las Vegas.

HorseLady
07-08-2001, 07:42 PM
On another message board we've been discussing names of horses vs. wins as well.

As an example - would you really want to bet a horse named "Toss The Jockey"? Someone mentioned a horse named either Your Nuts or You're Nuts. Imagine Durkin (or whatever announcer) going through the changes... "In race 4, scratch - Your Nuts". Sorry to be grotesque, it just caught me as funny :)

You wonder why you don't hear many with silly names winning the big races, or really sticking out as famous horses.

NoDayJob
07-08-2001, 09:29 PM
You wonder why you don't hear many with silly names winning the big races, or really sticking out as famous horses.

Perhaps it's because the classier horses are owned by people with class. Class begets class....... -NDJ

HorseLady
07-08-2001, 10:10 PM
I agree wholeheartedly! Someone who's in this for real will not give their horse a name like "Sally Sells Shells" and truly annoy any race announcer.

Tom
07-08-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by HorseLady
On another message board we've been discussing names of horses vs. wins as well.

As an example - would you really want to bet a horse named "Toss The Jockey"? Someone mentioned a horse named either Your Nuts or You're Nuts. Imagine Durkin (or whatever announcer) going through the changes... "In race 4, scratch - Your Nuts". Sorry to be grotesque, it just caught me as funny :)

Horselady,
That exact thing happened to Tom Brohammer at a seminar a few years ago-he was discussing a Finger Lakes race he had obtained the late scratches and one othem was named-you guessed it - Nutz!
He was playing at his keyboard and annoucnes to the room, "I'll be right with you-I have to scratch Nutz"
That was it for a few minutes! ~G~

Tom

SAL
07-08-2001, 11:36 PM
My favorite name for a horse that ran years ago in So. California was Lord Phumducker. Can you imagine that horse running in the Triple Crown? I think they caught on and changed the name of the horse after a few races though.

HorseLady
07-09-2001, 12:56 AM
Oh Tom, you'll appreciate this... Last year up at Saratoga, John DaSilva from the NY Post was doing his weekly TV show (I think for OTB). He's mentioned the changes in the races and says "In race 5 - equipment changes - Horse (#) (Name) is a gelding"

I didn't see this, but when John mentioned it to me, I couldn't stop laughing....

Tom
07-09-2001, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by HorseLady
Oh Tom, you'll appreciate this... Last year up at Saratoga, John DaSilva from the NY Post was doing his weekly TV show (I think for OTB). He's mentioned the changes in the races and says "In race 5 - equipment changes - Horse (#) (Name) is a gelding"

I didn't see this, but when John mentioned it to me, I couldn't stop laughing....

That is the ultimate equipment change. But with blinkers, if the change doesn't work you can always put them back "on"
Tom

HorseLady
07-09-2001, 01:11 PM
Tom, I think as a woman I can laugh more about that. I have a feeling the men here who are reading that are cringing :)

I'm going to relax these next few days, and Wednesday will be a banner handicapping day for me :)

HRH
07-09-2001, 03:38 PM
My favourite name for a horse is Sheila Tequilla.
Years ago one of our federal politicians(John Crosby; Canada) was at odds with another politician whose name was Sheila Copps. So one day John Crosby had an argument with Sheila in the House of Parliament. He then called her 'Tequilla Sheila'. That made the news.
A few years later I was sitting in the grandstand at Woodbine and opened the DRF and guess who was running: not 'Tequilla Sheila' but 'Sheila Tequilla'. I had to chuckle at that one.

Que
07-10-2001, 01:44 PM
Sometimes I can never really understand what the owner's were thinking when they named their horses, i.e. one horse that comes to mind is SPINELESSJELLYFISH. Spinelessjellyfish is a really nice race horse too, won a few major stakes races in SoCal, but I keep thinking that if I were that horse, I'd be somewhat insulted. I heard Jenine Sahadi explain once how the horse got its name, but I still find it an insulting name for such a majestic animal.

Que.

Rick Ransom
07-10-2001, 05:43 PM
Que,

I remember losing a race where that horse ran second at good odds. I some had worse names for it at the time.

Speaking of names, I'm sure everyone remembers Hesaputz (is that how you spell it?). After his name was changed, somebody else named a horse Hesaklutz.

My wife will play horses with my last name in them from time to time and do pretty well (progeny of Red Ransom).

HRH
07-10-2001, 06:41 PM
While we're on the subject 'Wayne Newton' is running tomorrow; July 11 at Arlington Park in the 9th.
I guess if I bet on him and win I'll have to say 'Danke Schoen'.