PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Marines

BIG RED
11-10-2008, 05:09 AM
You all have a good '233rd' Birthday....

xTo22Gu-lag

prospector
11-10-2008, 09:59 AM
SEMPER FI
1964-68
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

DanG
11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the reminder Red;

Just a great organization with a proud history. :ThmbUp:
http://www.juanfernandopacheco.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/745px-ww2_iwo_jima_flag_raising.png

canleakid
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
TO EVERY JARHEAD HERE OR THERE "SEMPER FI" :ThmbUp: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

delayjf
11-10-2008, 12:23 PM
To All my fellow Devil Dogs:
Semper Fi :jump:

Tom
11-10-2008, 12:43 PM
And a big thank you for all you have done do so many! :ThmbUp:

Bobzilla
11-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the reminder Red;

Just a great organization with a proud history. :ThmbUp:
http://www.juanfernandopacheco.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/745px-ww2_iwo_jima_flag_raising.png

My grandfather tought me the names of these guys in Joe Rosenthal's famous photograph. Unfortunately some of their names escape me but I remember Ira Hayes who is the one on the far left. He was a Navaho Indian from Arizona who, along with other Navahos, were used to transmit radio messages in their indigenous tongue because the Japanese were unable to understand Navaho. Other names that come to me are Franklin Sousy from Kentucky and Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire, by happenstance an interesting cross section of America represented by all these brave young men at Iwo Jima. Unfortunately half the men in the photograph would lose their lives later on while trying to secure the entire island. Happy Birthday Marines!

DanG
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
My grandfather tought me the names of these guys in Joe Rosenthal's famous photograph. Unfortunately some of their names escape me but I remember Ira Hayes who is the one on the far left. He was a Navaho Indian from Arizona who, along with other Navahos, were used to transmit radio messages in their indigenous tongue because the Japanese were unable to understand Navaho.

Other names that come to me are Franklin Sousy from Kentucky and Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire, by happenstance an interesting cross section of America represented by all these brave young men at Iwo Jima. Unfortunately half the men in the photograph would lose their lives later on while trying to secure the entire island. Happy Birthday Marines!
Thanks very much for those recollections Bob. :ThmbUp:

Being from a full blooded American Indian father I studied the contributions closely of the “Wind talkers” you spoke of. A fascinating part of our history.

As horrific as our fatalities were on Iwo Jima; considering the subterranean advantage the Japanese had it speaks volumes for the sheer will our Marines. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
considering the subterranean advantage the Japanese had it speaks volumes for the sheer will our Marines. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Amazing part of that story........ incredible the lengths they went to..........

Bobzilla
11-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Just a quick correction of my earlier post as I'm now certain, the more I think about it, that the Navaho Marine's name was Ira Hamilton and not Ira Hayes.

Pace Cap'n
11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
This Marine (1966-1969) certainly appreciates all the kind words.

Re: Ira Hayes--his full name was Ira Hamilton Hayes.

For the Marine Corps birthday in 1966, the Corps rented out Disneyland. We were actually ordered to go to Disneyland. No lines, no waiting. Had a blast. Would have been perfect if it wasn't such a sausage fest.

bigmack
11-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Fitting that just last night several Marines saved many people from a burning hotel fire here in San Diego. :ThmbUp:

CryingForTheHorses
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
God Bless them all for making this country a place where a Canadian boy like me can live the American dream :ThmbUp:

Marshall Bennett
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
We wouldn't be a safe nation without them . Thank you for insuring us a free country to live !! :ThmbUp: